Sign in to follow this  
hodge

36" mower deck question

hodge

One of these days, someone will post something that I can actually contribute to. But, I am a young grasshopper, and I am finding very little resouces in my area to learn from. So, I must go to the masters...

I have a 75 B-80, with a 36" deck, side discharge. I love the tractor, and it has been extremely reliable. I laid a room of carpet in trade for it, and have very little invested in it, and it keeps on giving. A couple of years ago, the spindles dried up, and need replacing. I found a set on Ebay. They were similiar to the originals (if they were the originals), but since replacing them, the center pulley has given me nothing but trouble. It sits too low on the shaft, and rubs on the bolt heats holding the spindle on. The outer ones are fine. TT told me about a double D washer needed, which I aquired. I have found, though, that I still don't have my problems solved. He was right, that was a missing component. But, the shaft of the spindle is too short, so when I place the double pulley on, the spindle shaft is only about half the way up the hole in the pulley. What combination do I have wrong? Does anyone have a set of matched spindles/pulleys that work with this deck, that they will part with? I want to mow with it, and the deck itself is in excellent shape.

On a side note, the brakes on my 520 did nothing. When you push the brake pedal down, all the way, the band still did not completely tighten up on the brake wheel. Someone had tightened it down all the way in an attempt to get it to work, so that the parking brake wouldn't set. I have noticed that the 48" deck resembles a deck from a D series, and I am thinking that maybe these brake parts came off of one, also. So, I bought a complete brake assembly from a parted out 417. Upon inspection, the brake band looked shorter than the current one on the tractor. I changed them out, and presto!!! I had brakes, and I could them back the nut off, enabling me to set the parking brake. What else am I going to find?...

dgjks6

have you looked at the toro master parts viewer? I do not know what year you have, but I checked a few 36 inch side discharge decks. The spindle shaft for the center pulley is different from the ones on the outside.

No idea if this actually helps or not

Greg

hodge

Yes, I have looks at the parts viewer. While it is helpful, it is not detailed enough for me to tell what parts of mine are right and what are wrong for that deck. I suspect that the double pulley is not correct for the spindles I have. The spindles look correct on the diagram, but the pulley is drawn very generically, so I can't tell. I have seen different pulleys on ebay, so there must be differences.

Ultimately, what I am looking for is a set of correct pulleys and spindles for a 36" mower deck. I will try and get the model number off of it, but it has been painted.

If anyone has some to sell, let me know. Otherwise, I will be watching Ebay and craigslist. B)

Teddy da Bear

I have (3) 36"rear discharge decks. I am sure the pulleys would be similar.

I could take some pics later if that would help?

kj4kicks

Moved this thread over to the attachments area....

HorseFixer

He Hodge how about some Pics of Your Delima? B) I Dont Have one Of Those Decks But Would Like To See What Yer Talking About! :whistle: Maybe Learn Something With Ya!

Thanks Duke

hodge

I'll try and get some pics posted. My 12 year old is at camp this week, so it may have to wait until she gets back... B) In the meantime, if all else fails, I will email you some pics.