Sign in to follow this  
chipster2005

I Love My Inherited Wheel Horse

chipster2005

Wow...props to the site! Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys that gave assistance to me. I just inherited my Pop's 92 416-8. I had some problems mounting the mower deck but got that figured out thanks to yalls help. Took it out today and cut my grass...man what a machine! My dad sure knew how to pick em. This tractor is a brute...I had a john deere that I sold to my neighbor(actually gave it to him for $100) when I found out I was getting the WH. I love this tractor! Best machine Ive operated. And the memories are awesome! My dad got his first Wheel Horse back in 71 when he purchased an 18 acre farm in Chandlersville, Ohio, between his army stints. Im pretty sure it was a bronco. He taught me to ride it and I cut the yard with it after that. He did the garden with it too. I remember thinking Im gonna have one of those one day! I would rather have my Pop still around ....but this machine sure makes the loss more bearable! Wheel Horse Rocks!post-6431-0-40909300-1330631569_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Ken B

Very nice Horse! You will be able to enjoy all of the fond memories of your Pop each and every time you sit down on his old Horse. Take good care of it, I know you'll have it a real long time!

• Like 1

SAM58

Cool... :)

AMC RULES

Nice lookin' :wh: machine Chip, looks like your Pops really knew how to pick 'em. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Foozerush

Congrats.... I got one about a month ago.... cant w ait to get some seat time on mine.. ..

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Me to can't wait for some seat time on mine.I also got mine about a month ago accept mine is hydro with vac bagging system. I hope we all have good luck with our new winter buys. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

WHEEL HORSE BILL :USA:

chipster2005

Now its time to teach my son to ride a real tractor! yeehaw! LOL

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sorry for your loss, and I know how you feel. My dad had a small lawn business and left me 4 of those red guys with attachments. If he was still here, I know he would be loving going to all the shows that I take them now. Thumbs up.

• Like 1

fabricator2009

Nice looking tractor.

1maidenfan

:WRS: :text-goodpost:

bowtiebutler956

That's a good lookin tractor. :thumbs:

chipster2005

Thanks guys...Im excited to fit in here...I appreciate ya'lls responses and honorable comments. It went well with my boys, they're ALMOST as excited as I am..LOL...the tradition continues! Peace

Wheel-N-It

Welcome to the forum. You will need one more tractor for each of your Sons.

I understand your loss. My dad passed last May. He was an Army Veteran. Dad earned four Bronze Stars in WW2.

• Like 3

chipster2005

Im sorry you lost your Dad Wheelin...Its tough...my Dad was also a vet of 20+yrs with 2 tours in nam...he had the full military burial..it was amazing. I have many fond memories of the farm and stuff...we tinkered with many things...he'll be deeply missed. I hope you continie to heal. Thank you for your comments. I will be getting another Wheel Horse soon...till then I think I'll start getting this one restored and like new again. I dont want to let it deteriorate. I also did 4 yrs in the army...Airborne Rangers...but no combat...we have a great country...worth preserving. Take care.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Thanks to you and your father Chip, for your service to this great country of ours. :flags-waveusa:

HOO RAH! :text-bravo: God bless the USA! :flags-usa:

• Like 1

Butch

Great man, great song, great movie. Died too young.

HorseFixer

Man thats a Tuff One! Loosing yer dad and all. :( Just Honor him by takeing good care of it. Thats a family Heirloom and everytime you get on it will bring you close to him :thumbs:

Good Luck. ~Duke

leeave96

That's a nice looking tractor. Good to see it staying in the family and with someone that give a crap about these fine old tractors. Sounds like your Dad was a good man. My Father-in-law, a WWII disabled vet, gave me his Wheelhorse 520H about a year before he died. I was mowing his grass at his camp with my 520H and he came up there one afternoon while I was mowing and opened this shed and in it was this 520H. It had a carb and gas tank filled with varnish and a brake linkage that was distorted and non-functional. I brought the tractor home and left mine. The tractor only had 50 hrs on it. I think it now has 60 hrs. He has since passed and for all purposes, the camp is gone too. I've got both machines at my house, along with my 314-8. I've got two boys that will be using these tractors soon and when I use them or service them, I am always showing them how great these Wheelhorse tractors are/made. One of these days, they'll own them too.

BTW, your tractor has an Onan engine on it. IMHO, the #1 thing you need to do, aside from basic maintenance, is keep the cooling fins clear of debri - especially keep an eye on the one towards the steering wheel. When these Onan's get overheated, they will let go of the valve seat and that usually means the engine is toast.

You and your boys enjoy the tractor and the tradition.

Bill

Jake Kuhn

Nice looking horse! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

speedyleedy

Geat story chipster , i had one handed down to me too wouldnt get rid of it for the world hope to pass it on to my kids ! :)

jpmcleod

Chipster.

I live in St. Cloud, Fl. off Alligator Lake Road. Would love to hook up with you. I thought I was the only Wheel Horse collector in Central Fla. Call me at (407) 470-5105. I have 10 Wheel Horse tractors and always looking for more.

I may have known your dad. I have been in Osceola County for over 40 years serving on both the Kissimmee Police Dept. and the Osceola County Sheriff's Department. Retired from the great State of Florida after 29 years in Law Enforcement and now work part-time for Publix on Narcossee Rd.

Give me a shout or e-mail me at jerry.pugh5170@yahoo.com.

WH Raider10

Great looking machine you got there! Take care of it and it will run forever.

I've got exactly the smae one as yours last week, 180 hours engine but missing some parts. If possible could you post some more pics from the engine and the electrical wiring and fusebox. Thanks in advance!

Pieter-Jan from Belgium :)

Gunny

That is a great story. I just took a break mowing with an 857. My dad gave it to me when I retired, his first one. (He had two). Has been through me when I was younger and has given many Grandkids many rides! When I mow, plow or whatever, It brings back many memories of working with my Dad. The only lawn equipment that has ever touched his place since 1967 has been Red! Enjoy it!

Kingwood990

That is a great story chipster. It sounds like to me that these WH tractors get passed down generation to generation. This is true with mine as well. I am the 3rd generation to own and use the WH I have now. I hope to pass it down to my kids when I have them in a few years.

Fun Engineer

Great stories of the famous Wheel Horse tractors and The Greatest Generation. My father was also a WWII vet flying the HUMP. Lost him in 1980. Too early. I'm in the process of restoring his Commando 8. My sons will also inherit my tractors. Keep up the good work guys.