Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

rustbucket

in the matter of one weekend i aquiered not one but 2 round noses. i think i better quit while im ahead i have more then a years worth of work now in restoring and tinkering.

070508_1621a.jpg

070508_1622a.jpg

070508_1626a.jpg

62-15319

rustbucket

is this the right data plackard for this tractor it was on the dash riser as a sticker as part of the shift pattern decal.

HorseFixer

Yes from what Bill P says that would be correct! Nice tractor B) I have one myself! :whistle:

Duke

rustbucket

both my round nose aquisitions comeing to me have the tool box under the seat was that an optional item or just gets lost and broken on alot of machines??

TT

The rear toolboxes are standard equipment on most of the front-engined round hoods. That's what holds the fenders on. The only one I can think of that didn't come with the toolbox is a 603.

rustbucket

cool thanks for the info TT. i asked cause i see alot asking for tool boxes and such so i though was an optional thingy.

TT

It's because they have flat bottoms with very little draining ability. If dirt, pine needles, rags, etc are left laying in the bottom of them and they get wet, the bottoms rot out.

That's why most guys are looking for them. B)

Rollerman

What TT said & plus a fair share of them seem to have some kind of modification going on done with a blow torch or worse. B)

This brings up a new question though....if the area under the seat between the fenders is a toolbox...& the fancy optional :whistle: that goes in the battery area on pull start 63's is a toolbox...are they both toolboxes? B)

By the way Jason, thats a very nice looking 702...very clean & straight minus the JD looking front rims... B)

rustyoldjunk

nice find Jason.that 702 looks to be very straight and complete,a great restoration canidate or just clean it and straighten it up as best possible while leaving it original....."im a big fan of the its only original once theory"

bambooheels

thats very nice looking tractor, seems complete and all, good luck with it, im styarting my 702 next week. keep us posted on your work. B)

rustbucket

i sure do have alot of work now to get ready for next years show. need to clean up and finish my GT-14. also need to work on the 653 and now the 702. i plan on bringing al three to next years show. i may have to rent a u-haul to make that possable lol.

rustbucket

yeah the extra set of back rims where also painted yellow. all the rims are going to see a trip to the blast booth and a repaint here once i get them home and start seeing what is what. dose anyone have the link to our members store that is selling the round nose hood screws both my round noses have them replaced with bolts and i would like to return them to original off the factory line in that reguard.

sorekiwi

This brings up a new question though....if the area under the seat between the fenders is a toolbox...& the fancy optional B) that goes in the battery area on pull start 63's is a toolbox...are they both toolboxes? :whistle:

Wheel Horse figured out that when you have a Tecumseh powered tractor that you had to carry a lot of tools!

B)B) B)

TT

"Research" has led me to believe that the 1963 633 model was the first to receive the P/N 4403 toolbox in the battery location. Of course this model is Kohler-powered, so apparently they wanted a place for the owners to keep their tow chains for pulling other brands when they broke or got stuck. :whistle:

I'm thinking that some 502 owners might have seen the 633's with the front toolboxes and bought them for their tractors? B)

catman81056

"Research" has led me to believe that the 1963 633 model was the first to receive the P/N 4403 toolbox in the battery location. Of course this model is Kohler-powered, so apparently they wanted a place for the owners to keep their tow chains for pulling other brands when they broke or got stuck. B)

I'm thinking that some 502 owners might have seen the 633's with the front toolboxes and bought them for their tractors? :whistle:

Tow chain storage seems like a very logical explanation to me B)

rustbucket

well my 653 is tecumseh powered but looks like the HH block not the H was a heavy engine. my 702 is trusty reliable kohler powered so maybe a tow rope will be kept under the 702,s seat for next years show unles bill brings his wreaker

DMESS

"Research" has led me to believe that the 1963 633 model was the first to receive the P/N 4403 toolbox in the battery location. Of course this model is Kohler-powered, so apparently they wanted a place for the owners to keep their tow chains for pulling other brands when they broke or got stuck. B)

I'm thinking that some 502 owners might have seen the 633's with the front toolboxes and bought them for their tractors? :whistle:

I really think many of the 502's came with these. I've seen SO many with them that I'm inclined to think it was probably put on from the factory. Possibly something added later in the production year. The ones I've seen have been fairly original machines.

DMESS

Nice 702! Still one of m favorites as it was the first model of Wheel Horse I came in contact with.

rustbucket

i find it amazing how this thread went off topic fast and became a tool box thread hehehehehehe love ya all as if you where my brothers and fathers.

TT

..... and who exactly was it that asked the first question about toolboxes? B)

:whistle:B) B)

rustbucket

me but i didnt realise it'd go this far TT ah well you ask and you shall learn more then expected. thats what i love about this place and everyone here.

TT

I'm actually amazed that we're still talking about tractors, period. Usually when you get this far in to a post, we end up talking about ICE CREAM, MULE DRIVES, or ( @ Y @ ). B) YAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH !

So.......

When will you be bringing your "new" round hoods home, Jason? :whistle:

rustbucket

the 653 makes the trip this up comeing weekend the 702 will make the trip a bit later on since the guy wont be around this upcomeing weekend. their first stop is to the car wash for a gentile wasking with the preassure washer. but not going to spray any where near any decals or stickers.

since the 653 engine is not mounted we feel safe in hoseing the rolling frame and all off and will work on her more once home and have a chance to really look at what we got our selves into with the tecumseh engine and its "fineky" carbs.

TT

Don't be afraid of the decals.... every single one for both tractors has been reproduced. B)

Just try not to spray by the shifters too much - the boot is the only seal, and it's not capable of holding back 1500 psi of water.

rustbucket

so shift pattern decals with serial numbers and such are redone eh??