smoreau

Its ALIVE!! 520 project

smoreau

I started out last summer picking up a 1990 520H parts tractor that had no rear tires, front axle, engine, gas gauge, volt gauge, hour meter, and no steering. The hood and fenders had a lot of rust pits, and paint was pealing off in many places. I got it cheep and wanted for a loader tractor. I already had the forward swept axle, and gear deducted steering, And as for the rear tires I wanted 26x12x12's on it. I picked up a good running kohler 18hp Magnum from Kelly and started piecing it together bit by bit. I installed one of Matt's foot control assembly's on it and painted the tins (hood not finished yet still in primmer). I got it running today and took it for a spin with NO hood on it as it isn't ready yet. I have to say that it is faster then any of my other tractors by far! and the pedal control is just SWEET!!! It works Great from slow to fast and centers when you take your foot off. I am so happy with the way this tractor is turning out that I may need to find another one to put the loader on :hide: It's a blast to drive and is so much easier to drive then my 96 520H with the foot control! I have worked on this tractor hear and there as not to brake the bank if you know what I mean. I got all the gauges to work but the tach. Still need to play with that a little more to find out whats wrong with it. I got some new decals from Terry coming soon and we will see how they look in a few days. Hear are the pics :music-rockout:

022-4.jpg

023-4.jpg

024-4.jpg

Look at the lift lever, I moved the control from the steering wheel to hear as it will have a 3 point on back. this way I won't get bumped while using the loader.

025-4.jpg

026-3.jpg

Hydro motion lever is also removed

027-3.jpg

028-4.jpg

030-5.jpg

031-5.jpg

• Like 5

Sparky

Looks great!! Did you have to raise the fender pan to get those tires under there?

Mike..........

smoreau

Looks great!! Did you have to raise the fender pan to get those tires under there?

Mike..........

Yes I did, I raised it up 1" between the trans and seat stand so the fuel tank got raise also. I took two rear fender mounts for the front of the fender and welded them together so they would be at the right height. The solid 1" block under the seat stand should be a good spot to mount a 3 point top link to instead of the seat stand.

052-4.jpg

053-3.jpg

I think it need a bath know, Dang it , the hose is still put away for winter :banghead:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Looks Cool Scott! :thumbs2: Like the rears!

~Duke

bowtiebutler956

:thumbs: That thing is mean. :handgestures-thumbupright:

1maidenfan

I read in your post that you have the new foot controler from one of our :rs: members. Do you by chance have pic's of all the parts before you installed them? I want to make that set up for me D200 that is getting a loader. :techie-eureka: Any help? :thanks:

Thanks.

rexman72

scott that is looking good.i like how you put a kohler engine in it.

smoreau

I read in your post that you have the new foot controler from one of our :rs: members. Do you by chance have pic's of all the parts before you installed them? I want to make that set up for me D200 that is getting a loader. :techie-eureka: Any help? :thanks:

Thanks.

Hear is a link to Matts thread with pictures of the parts

smoreau

One thing I can say know is that ALL of my tractors will now start up and move on there own! I am happy that all of them run and are working! It's a nice change from pushing one around all the time

Kelly

Looks good Scott, I love my 520 with the 26x12x12s on it it is my go to tractor.

AMC RULES

What makes this one so much "faster than any" of your other tractors Scott?

can whlvr

its looking real nice,i really like that big kohler in there,looks mean with those big rears

smoreau

What makes this one so much "faster than any" of your other tractors Scott?

Craig, I think its the foot control allows the motion control to move farther, this gives you max movement on the hydro cam plate, Plus the larger rear tires and the older eaton 1100 trans. I would say that I wouldn't want anything faster then this for a tractor for sure. but it is faster then my 96 520 that I posted in speed up your horse. I'm just tickled "RED" inside how well this tractor has turned out so far.

Jeremy Watson

Looks fantastic Scott! I see a little snow on the ground, did you get a chance to try out your v-blade?

Ken B

Looking good Scott! Those tall rear tires will no doubt give you some more speed.

smoreau

Looks fantastic Scott! I see a little snow on the ground, did you get a chance to try out your v-blade?

The v blade got bent on its second storm and have not gotten back to fixing it. It's kind of a sore spot with me as it was my fault for bending it, Before I bent the hinge it worked Great! I plan on fixing it in the spring.

Wheel-N-It

Scott, great worl! I like the Kohller engine. Really like the rear tires too. Tires that tall can definetly add to your top speed. I will be following your progress very closely since I too have a 520H roller sitting in the Horse shed behind the Horse barn. I have everything but the engine. Maybe when I get the 417 ready for mowing season, I can start on the 520.

Keep up the good work!

Van

Herbl

Just the difference in the tire size 26" vs 23" will increase the speed 13%, just thought I'd mention that. The other things mention just add Icing to the cake....

mattd860

Looks amazing Scott! The 18hp Kohler Twin Magnum is my favorite motor. I even prefer it over the Onan 20hp motor :hide:

• Like 2

speedyleedy

Sweet looking tractor scott, can't wait see it when your done ! :bow-blue:

meadowfield

awesome !

looks fantastic...

Hydro

That is going to be one awesome creation! :bow-blue: Another SMOREAU PRODUCTION!

You could easily put a rubber flap under the front of the seat pan if you chose to but certainly not necessary.

How do you think those tires will affect the hydro in terms of stress or strain and power to those rear wheels?

smoreau

That is going to be one awesome creation! :bow-blue: Another SMOREAU PRODUCTION!

You could easily put a rubber flap under the front of the seat pan if you chose to but certainly not necessary.

How do you think those tires will affect the hydro in terms of stress or strain and power to those rear wheels?

Hydro, I think it will be fine as for holding up as it will be a loader tractor and not used as much as the others. But when it does get used it will be working hard! Kelly has the same setup on one of his 520's and he hasn't had any issues. As for the flap under the seat pan, I thought the same ting using some rubber belting. Just haven't got that far yet.

Kelly

Scott is right, I've plowed snow for 2 winters and used it for everything during the summer, and I have had no issues, and traction is unreal with the big tires.

smoreau

I got some goody's From Terry tonight :USA: I have to say I REALLY LIKE THESE DECALS! They look great and will be even better once there on the hood! I have to paint the hood in a few days and let it dry for a few weeks before I can install them, but I did put the rear fender one on and it looks AWESOME!! :flags-waveusa: SO here are the pics of some really great AMERICAN decals!

010-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

And the ones that will go on the 417A "V" blade tractor!

013-3.jpg

014-3.jpg

015-3.jpg

THANKS TERRY FOR THE GREAT WORK THAT YOU DO!! YOU ARE A REAL ASSET TO US :wh: GUYS!!!

• Like 1