Terry M

Terry,s 606 restoration

HorseWhisperer

That's one Lawn Ranger beauty!They are the most overlooked,underrated Horse in the field!After I have had every style and every shape Wheel Horse,Rangers just feel right!Even H60 powered!I got one that wasn't started in 25 years+,cleaned the tank and carb and it was a first pull machine that time and still is today!Viva la teccy!Them lil suckers really are ready to work!

Terry M

That's one Lawn Ranger beauty!They are the most overlooked,underrated Horse in the field!After I have had every style and every shape Wheel Horse,Rangers just feel right!Even H60 powered!I got one that wasn't started in 25 years+,cleaned the tank and carb and it was a first pull machine that time and still is today!Viva la teccy!Them lil suckers really are ready to work!

glad to here that. hope mine works out for me. :handgestures-thumbupright: :)

bowtiebutler956

So Terry, have the parts for the 606, or the Lawn Ranger come in yet? :teasing-poke: Not that I'm being pushy or anything. :ychain: I really enjoy watching your progress on these old :wh:'s. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Terry M

So Terry, have the parts for the 606, or the Lawn Ranger come in yet? :teasing-poke: Not that I'm being pushy or anything. :ychain: I really enjoy watching your progress on these old :wh:'s. :thumbs:

Don't worry Matt, I enjoy it when people ask about my tractors. :) Still waiting for parts for both but did get head gasket for the lawn ranger today. I'm watching the weather still looking for a good painting day! :bow-blue: we'll see if it happens. :scratchead: :banghead:

bowtiebutler956

I'll be be praying for clear blue skies for ya Terry!! :thumbs:

AEarlCheal

I have a WH which has been painted over (not a restoration). I found the data plate under the dash panel. The transmission has a high/low range, which makes it an 8 speed. It has no engine or attachments. The markings as I can best tell are:

1 605T

The research I have done indicates the 605 was only a 4 speed. I wonder if the T indicates an 8 speed transmission.

Does anyone know?

Martin

i think most agree that t indicates tractor on the tags.

also depending on the position of the brake drum the transmission could either be a 6 or 8 with the hi/low......

was really nice meeting and talking over the weekend terry, so are you itching to finish this one now that you got your wh fill over the weekend?

Terry M

yes Martin, after looking at all those nice, shiney restored horses. you bet I want to get mine done......just looking for the time to do it!!

It was nice meeting you and seeing your tractors up close. you are quite an ace at restoring these WH tractors. look forward to seeing more stuff from you Martin!

Terry M

have made some progress on the 606. slowly fixing up the engine so it will run and today worked on the steering shaft so that the locking collar and steering wheel would fit on. Had to cut the old steering shaft out last spring so I could remove the steering wheel from it using a press.

Here's a couple pics of the 606 while we were working on it.

post-5864-0-77382200-1348792675_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-25034900-1348792713_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-02626700-1348792777_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-12072100-1348792816_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-89682900-1348792847_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-79954400-1348792883_thumb.jp

• Like 3

bowtiebutler956

I've been wondering how things were going with you, and the 606 Terry! I was just about to send you a PM to find out, but I can see all is well. :woohoo: Your boy looks right at home working on the :wh: ! Your 606 really is looking Fantastic! :thumbs:

Terry M

I've been wondering how things were going with you, and the 606 Terry! I was just about to send you a PM to find out, but I can see all is well. :woohoo: Your boy looks right at home working on the :wh: ! Your 606 really is looking Fantastic! :thumbs:

Thanks Matt, It's far from perfect but what the heck...it's just a yard tractor.

Jake Kuhn

Looking great terry! :handgestures-thumbup:

dclarke

Keep the pics coming Terry, Lookin good! :thumbs:

Terry M

bought a slot hitch mold board plow for the 606 this past summer. I was told it was from an RJ tractor and I didn't know the slot hitch on those RJ's is slightly smaller that my 606's slot hitch.....I wanted to keep it because I really liked the plow.so here is how I made a cheap fix. I just cut a piece of steel stock that would fit in my slot hitch and cut a piece of square steel stock down the middle and welded it to the other piece of steel. the slot hitch for the 606 is half an inch wider than the plows hitch so the sliced piece of square tubing helped make up the difference. here is what it looks like.

post-5864-0-98890500-1350527102_thumb.jp

Terry M

here it is with holes drilled and some sand blasting to clean it up.

post-5864-0-29156400-1350527543_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Terry! :woohoo:

Terry M

here is the finished product.

post-5864-0-74504500-1350527867_thumb.jp

Terry M

and a few pics of it on the 606

post-5864-0-20050400-1350527952_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-85193000-1350527974_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-91179200-1350528005_thumb.jp

dclarke

Looks good Terry! Nice job.

HorseFixer

Looks Good Terry! :notworthy:

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

bowtiebutler956

Very nice work Terry, and that plow looks like its in great shape. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Nicely done Terry! :clap:

Terry M

I must add that the reason I did it this way is I wanted to keep the plow unchanged or unaltered if you will. all I have to do is remove the adaptor piece and its an original RJ plow again. I do though plan on repainting it .

Now I need to get my act together and someday finish this tractor. :)

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

Great work so far. I agree, It's better to build an adapter instead of modifiing the original plow.

But I have a question that probably a lot of people here could answer. How is the hood mount bractet thing that actually attaches the hood to the frame mounted. On my Commando, the hood opens only so much, because the bracket acts like a stopper. But I see that your hood goes all the way down.

Terry M

Great work so far. I agree, It's better to build an adapter instead of modifiing the original plow.

But I have a question that probably a lot of people here could answer. How is the hood mount bractet thing that actually attaches the hood to the frame mounted. On my Commando, the hood opens only so much, because the bracket acts like a stopper. But I see that your hood goes all the way down.

Commando6,my hood just moves on a simple hidge held on by a couple of cotter pins. my 606 is my only square hood i have so thats the only one i can look at. as you can see in the picture above a few posts i'm using a cardboard box to keep the hood from hitting the floor. I'm trying to think of a way to hold it in an open position from hitting the ground. maybe mine is installed wrong or backwards....i'm not sure. I'm out of town now but when I get home I'll post some pics of my hood open and closed. maybe then a good comparison will answer the question. I wish my hood would hold itself open like yours..