Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Idea to increase mowing height on 37 deck

dgjks6

I have tweaked and adjusted my 37 inch deck to its maximum and the most height I can get is a 3 inch cut. From what we have discussed here I think that is about as high as they go. So... I have been looking for a way to incease the mowing height. The deck rides on the 2 rear wheels.

So what I have in my imagination is extending the bar that the wheels attach to. I think a piece of 2 inch steel that had holes in each end could be inserted between the riding wheel and the deck. The wheel would be attached to the new peice of metal. But it would need something to stop it from moving, a bolt would not be enough.

I have no metal working ability at all. Does this make sense to anyone? Is there something out there like it already. Was my desciption so poor that no one understands what I am thinking.

Sorry if this is stupid. Or if this is something that won't work let me know. Or if someone understands what I am talking about they could make up a couple of them.

Greg

TT

So either make your pieces long/wide enough to put two bolts in them where you fasten them to the original wheel attachment points (drill a second hole in the wheel mounting arm) or...... just get larger diameter gauge wheels.

dgjks6

Doh!

The seond bolt makes sense. As far as a bigger wheel, tried that, but the limiting factor in the deck height as it stands now is the left wheel hits the deck. I need to get it further out. But I think I can make a piece of metal with 3 holes in it.

kpinnc

You can use just one hole in the deck arm (especially since at this point you'd be "experimenting" anyway), if you use a short piece of angle iron.

Clamp the angle onto the arm for the wheel, with the bend of the angle on top, crossing over the arm. Then just drill the hole through the backside using the "axle" hole in the arms as a guide. The bend in the angle won't let it move. Your second hole can be for the shouldered bolt that goes in the wheel.

You can drill extra holes in the angle lenghtwise, so you can experiment with the length of the extensions you're making.

Good luck with whichever way you make it!

Kevin

Curmudgeon

I thought about the angle iron concept myself, then thought, maybe small channel would work even better. With a little luck, it would be a snug fit, and not have the disadvantage of width.

TT

I thought about angle iron immediately, but since more height would be gained quicker by extending the wheel mounting arm straight down (and less length = less leverage to bend something) I figured a second hole on some flat stock would be better. B)

rustbucket

try useing a U bolt like off a car exhauct clamp to hold it stationary against the arm that the wheel normaly mounts to only drilling needed is in the plate you have devised.