Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

lubricate starter

dgjks6

OK, now that I have adjusted the valves and cleaned the head, it is time to lubricate the starter. Has anyone done this?

I have a 12hp kholer magnum. I see the bolts it says to remove, but the dipstick seems to be in the way.

Am I looking in the right place?

What is the masking tape for in the disassembly instructions?

Where do I get Kohler starter drive lubricant? Is there something else I can use?

Greg

glenn27

You can just clean the splines w/ brakleen--let dry and a little WD-40 is o.k...Better though to use a small amount of spray dry-lube, so it won't attract as much dirt.....Can be purchased @ most good auto parts supply houses..

TT

The bolts that hold the starters on the Magnum engines go completely through the starter from the brush end and into the bearing plate on the engine. If you are not EXTREMELY cautious, they will twist off VERY easily.

Unfortunately the design of the dipstick tube on these engines prohibits easy access to the starter mounting bolts, so you might need to remove the dipstick tube, which will require yet another new gasket for reassembly. (you did install a new head gasktet and properly torque the head bolts, right?) The bolts only need to come out about

dgjks6

first, yes, got a new head gasket and torqued in the proper sequence to the proper torque. Finding a torque wrench took a few days. The cheapest I could find at the store was $88, and I was not going to spend that for a $15 gasket. And I used a wood scraper and a vacuum to clean evrything.

How do I get the dipstick off? There is not disassembly instructions for this in the kohler book.

Do I need to do this? Is this overkill?

TT

Overkill..... Yeah, THAT'S the word I was looking for. B)

Did you actually try to remove the starter bolts? I'm pretty sure you can get on them with a boxed end wrench. (preferably a 6 point) If they break loose without breaking off, keep working them "back and forth" as you go. Once you have them out, clean the threads and apply a dab of anti-seize on them just before reinstalling the starter to the engine.

dgjks6

No have not started yet. Project for tomorrow. I just want to be prepared. But now I think I may just drink beer and set of fireworks tomorrow.