Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Tree Trimming/ Black Walnut

6wheeler

Good day gentlemen. I need some advice on trimming one of my mature Black Walnut trees. The tree is about 50' to 60' feet tall and probably 20" in diameter. What I want to do is remove 2 branches that are about 12' feet above the ground. They are just below the crotch of the tree. One is about 8" in diameter and the other is app. 10" in diameter. Each is about 15' long. The problem is, when they are leafed out and loaded with nuts, they hang almost to the ground. Does anyone know when I should do this? Do I need to paint the cuts? I have googled it but the advice is so vague it doesn't reall help. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Pat

donamy99

Pat, I have a Pecan orchard (100 Trees). Don't know about black walnut trees but would think they should be very simular. I prume my trees in Jan. and Feb. I would cut off one limb this year and wait til next year to cut the other. You do not have to paint pecans trees, they heal very well. But, I don't think painting would hurt them. You might try pruming each limb and reducing the production of nuts. If you decide to cut each limb off completely, would not do both limbs the same year, this could set back the tree for several years. Hope this helps.

specialwheelhorse

Donamy is right on the money, very good advice.

JIM

Duff

Just a friendly suggestion, although you probably already know this: when you go to cut off the limbs, make an undercut before you make your top cut so the limb doesn't snap and strip a chunk of bark off the side of the tree. Make sure the undercut isn't deep enough to bind your saw! :twocents-02cents:

Duff :thumbs:

VinsRJ

+2 on what Duff said.... but I would add making the initial cut-off a foot or two away from the actual finish cut. That way you know for sure its not going to tear and you can actually focus on the finish cut... not the entire limb.

rmaynard

You might want to ask our buddy Stevasaurus how NOT to trim trees. I think that he will have some sage advice for you.

JC 1965

Check to see if the county where you live has an agriculture office. If they do they can give you free advice or maybe free booklets on the proper way to prune your trees. Years ago ( when I still had a good back ) I grew several types of grapes and I hah 4 apple trees. We had a county agriculture office at the time and they kept me updated on pruning and caring for everything. Hope this helps !! :thumbs2: