zieg72

520H ground speed adjustment?

zieg72

Is there a speed adjustment on a 1997 520H? I ask this question because I am use to my 1992. My 1997 goes slower going forward but reverse seems to be much faster than my 1992.

mattd860

Have you checked the bracket/adjuster under the seat? The 1997 bracket may need adjustment.

kpinnc

With the tractor switched off, look under the seat while you have the DCL (direction control lever) all the way forward. If the cam follower has room left to travel in the cam (the slot), then you can shorten the threaded link between the DCL and cam follower- which will "effectively" allow you to move the DCL farther forward, at least to the stop. Both ends of the rod are threaded into the joints, so you can remove it and thread the joints further in to shorten it.

But as a word of caution- if you in fact have room for adjustment, then whatever you gain in forward speed will be lost in the reverse side. Make small adjustments! When you're finished, be sure and readjust the "neutral" position with the cam follower. Otherwise the tractor will creep in neutral and the transmission will always be in a bind when the parking brake is used.

Good luck!

zieg72

With the tractor switched off, look under the seat while you have the DCL (direction control lever) all the way forward. If the cam follower has room left to travel in the cam (the slot), then you can shorten the threaded link between the DCL and cam follower- which will "effectively" allow you to move the DCL farther forward, at least to the stop. Both ends of the rod are threaded into the joints, so you can remove it and thread the joints further in to shorten it.

But as a word of caution- if you in fact have room for adjustment, then whatever you gain in forward speed will be lost in the reverse side. Make small adjustments! When you're finished, be sure and readjust the "neutral" position with the cam follower. Otherwise the tractor will creep in neutral and the transmission will always be in a bind when the parking brake is used.

Good luck!

Thanks for spaining it where I could understand it. I'll check it tomorrow.

kpinnc

I hope it was helpful. I do however apologize if it sounds condescending. I like to explain things how I would want to see them explained to me. I have a bad habit of doing that- and I've developed it from the people I work with. I have some support folks 2,000 miles away that are supposed to know more about my job than I do, but they don't. My department is often times tasked with explaining to out tier 2 support how to do simple procedures. They want to tell us what to do, and how to do it, but they often don't understand the consequences of what they ask for. Combine that with three daughters, and I think I'm turning into my father! :ychain:

Again, I'm sorry if it sounded any other way than just informational.

• Like 1

zieg72

I hope it was helpful. I do however apologize if it sounds condescending. I like to explain things how I would want to see them explained to me. I have a bad habit of doing that- and I've developed it from the people I work with. I have some support folks 2,000 miles away that are supposed to know more about my job than I do, but they don't. My department is often times tasked with explaining to out tier 2 support how to do simple procedures. They want to tell us what to do, and how to do it, but they often don't understand the consequences of what they ask for. Combine that with three daughters, and I think I'm turning into my father! :ychain:

Again, I'm sorry if it sounded any other way than just informational.

We are a lot of the same. I know a lot about a lot but no piece of paper to prove it. 18 days shy of 27 years as a Technical Service Rep dealing with Engineers from OEM's with my High School education and most of my counterparts hold chemistry degrees. I appreciate the explaination, really!!!

Workin_Horses

Good luck!

How do you readjust the "neutral" position?? One of my 520's has the issue with the transmission trying to move the tractor with the parking brake set.....

kpinnc

The procedure has been discussed many times on the forum Justin, but the best version is in the transmission manual itself. If you don't have the manual, you can download it for free at ToroSolutions.com.

Just plug in your model number (under the seat, example 31-20OE02), hit enter and then select the manual tab. The Eaton manual is 43 pages, and the adjustment procedure is in there. Complete with pictures, and very easy to do.

zieg72

Finally dialed in my speed control and am enjoying full forward speed now. It took some back and forth however it works great now.

rexman72

good job i think we all have had to do that one time or another.