12 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Restored my C120
By Red Horse 76
Formerly a John Deere owner, I recently purchased a 1976 C120 Wheel Horse tractor.
I was looking for something more heavy duty. The JD was basically a lawn tractor.
I tried plowing and snow blowing with it, but it just couldn't handle it.
So I found someone with an older Wheel Horse. I went to see it and it was in really good shape for a 40 year old tractor.
The best thing was that it came with a snow blower that looks like it was hardly used. It was like 5 degrees out when I went to look at it and the engine was stone cold.
Choked it, turned the key and she fired right up. Sold !
I brought it home and checked it all out. it was all there and working great. So I decided to tear it down and restore it before I start using it for the season.
It did not come with a mower deck but i was able to find one 2 hours away. I will be restoring that next.
So it already had a new battery,fresh oil and new spark plug and wire.
I stripped it down and cleaned, prepped and painted everything. I used Krylon Super Maxx Gloss Banner Red. Really good match.
I also used gloss white for the rims and gloss black for a few things. I used Rustoleum high heat black on the head and exhaust.
4 new tires were installed. Hi Run WD1043 16x6.5-8 on the front and Carlisle Tru Power 23x8.5-12 on the rear. I found a new seat from Northern Tool which fit perfectly.
It is a high back Kubota tractor seat model 53,000bk. $99.00. I mounted a winch that I bought at Harbor freight under the rear seat pan.There was a dummy plug in the dash already so install was easy.I made 2 diamond plate foot pieces. The aluminum rods were removed and polished also.
I think it came out really good and now I have a great old tractor to snow blow in the winter and take care of my yard in the summer.
Just thought I would share with all you Wheel Horse lovers.
Another pic of the 74 B-100 Resto. I made a makeshift escutcheon for the hood. I'm not sure I like it, but it's better than a hole in the hood. Made it out of 3/8" MDF and affixed the center of the old broken one so as to have the Wheel Horse emblem on it. I think it needs to be thinner, and maybe with a Red stripe around it.