Hodge71

D Series Restoration

JamesBe1

James,

I used a stud because I got to a point when drilling the rear bolt out that the drill wouldnt go any farther, after tapping it, I only had about 4-5 threads fully engaged. I felt it would be better to install a stud bottomed out in the hole with red loctite and use a nut, that way the stud wont get over tightened and strip the threads out of the block like a bolt might.

Thanx, it makes a lot more sense now. Actually, when you think about it, using a stud on the exhaust ports makes it a lot easier from a future maintenance point of view being that the locking mechanism (the nut) is easily accessible. BTW, what did you finally use as a gasket as I am now going to need one.

James

Hodge71

Small amount of progress today. As some may remember I've been worrying for awhile what to do about the NLA gasket for the hydro motor to transmission. because mine was nonexistant, some genius used blue silicone instead. So today I took the motor over to Dads and showed him what I was up against. 2 minutes later here comes a roll of gasket material, a square and compass( 2 things dear to me being that I'm a Freemason), and a little funny looking hammer. Well let me tell ya I got taken to school by the old guy. After about 10 minutes of measuring, drawing a square, triangles and a circle, heres the finished product. I asked him how he found the hammer and stuff. His answer, I've had this stuff since the 60's. They didnt make gaskets for everything back then and when you drag race a Studebaker, they dont make any gaskets...lol.. His best friend Jake showed him how and now I know how to make any gasket I could ever need with a little patience, time, and the right tools.

post-1339-0-10956300-1331071159_thumb.jp

Heres the magic little hammer. Its actually called a gasket hammer,but I bet nobody makes them anymore post-1339-0-65078400-1331071177_thumb.jp

WH854

Small amount of progress today. As some may remember I've been worrying for awhile what to do about the NLA gasket for the hydro motor to transmission. because mine was nonexistant, some genius used blue silicone instead. So today I took the motor over to Dads and showed him what I was up against. 2 minutes later here comes a roll of gasket material, a square and compass( 2 things dear to me being that I'm a Freemason), and a little funny looking hammer. Well let me tell ya I got taken to school by the old guy. After about 10 minutes of measuring, drawing a square, triangles and a circle, heres the finished product. I asked him how he found the hammer and stuff. His answer, I've had this stuff since the 60's. They didnt make gaskets for everything back then and when you drag race a Studebaker, they dont make any gaskets...lol.. His best friend Jake showed him how and now I now how to make any gasket I could ever need with a little patience, time, and the right tools.

post-1339-0-10956300-1331071159_thumb.jp

Heres the magic little hammer. Its actually called a gasket hammer,but I bet nobody makes them anymore post-1339-0-65078400-1331071177_thumb.jp

WE were taught how to do that in the Navy (1952 To 1960) I was a Machinest Mate. :thumbs:

Chas

JamesBe1

Fantastic work.

I learned the hard way by trial and error (best teacher I ever had). I've gone through lots of gasket material in my time.

Is there anything special about the hammer? It looks very much like a small ball peen hammer. I'm not a hammer expert, but I know that there are more type of hammers than you can shake a stick at.

BTW, I got my new (used) block today, so it looks like I can continue with my project. Luckily the weather is starting to turn.

Hodge71

Chas, it scares me to think how many useful lessons like these are going to go away when the baby boomers leave us. yu guys are the 2nd greatest generation next to the WW2 genration. Our country no longer favors the mechaincal arts. I'm proud to be blue collar. I'm an electrician, hvac mechanic, welder, and a decent machinst. Its afforded me the ability to build my own home, fix my own cars and tractors and troubleshoot prit neer anything thats broke and needs fixin. I'm passing those skills to my son. Hes the only 6 year old that knows how to charge a refrigeration system and read an electrical multimeter. I will teach him more as he grows and asks but hes definitely mechanically inclined.

James,

The hammer does look like a tiny ball pein hammer but as you can see the head is much longer than a standard one. Its diffcult to describe the way both the round side and flat side are machined to cut the radiuses and straight parts out correctly. Its amazing how well it worked as you can see the intricate details it followed perfectly. Congrats on the new block. I'm still fighting with the guy about that other 18 auto. He still feels that its worth 850. It didnt sell on ebay and he wont budge on the price. I tried to explain to him that a machine with a bad hydro and engine thats sat outside for 2 years is only worth scrap price. It wont start and doesnt run, he admitted the tractor barely moved the last time he drove it 2 years ago, the paint is pepto bismol pink from the sun, granted it does have a 3 point on it and he feels that because Joes outdoor has a 3 point for $400 bucks he can get that for the hitch alone. The funny thing is that 3 point from Joes hase been on there for 9 months now. His answer is, they only made the tractor 1 year, 1973, that makes it very rare and collectable.

JamesBe1

Chas, it scares me to think how many useful lessons like these are going to go away when the baby boomers leave us. yu guys are the 2nd greatest generation next to the WW2 genration. Our country no longer favors the mechaincal arts. I'm proud to be blue collar. I'm an electrician, hvac mechanic, welder, and a decent machinst. Its afforded me the ability to build my own home, fix my own cars and tractors and troubleshoot prit neer anything thats broke and needs fixin. I'm passing those skills to my son. Hes the only 6 year old that knows how to charge a refrigeration system and read an electrical multimeter. I will teach him more as he grows and asks but hes definitely mechanically inclined.

James,

The hammer does look like a tiny ball pein hammer but as you can see the head is much longer than a standard one. Its diffcult to describe the way both the round side and flat side are machined to cut the radiuses and straight parts out correctly. Its amazing how well it worked as you can see the intricate details it followed perfectly. Congrats on the new block. I'm still fighting with the guy about that other 18 auto. He still feels that its worth 850. It didnt sell on ebay and he wont budge on the price. I tried to explain to him that a machine with a bad hydro and engine thats sat outside for 2 years is only worth scrap price. It wont start and doesnt run, he admitted the tractor barely moved the last time he drove it 2 years ago, the paint is pepto bismol pink from the sun, granted it does have a 3 point on it and he feels that because Joes outdoor has a 3 point for $400 bucks he can get that for the hitch alone. The funny thing is that 3 point from Joes hase been on there for 9 months now. His answer is, they only made the tractor 1 year, 1973, that makes it very rare and collectable.

Glad to see that you are passing on your skills to the next generation. I don't think we have that much to worry about. There will always be the mechanically inclined amongst us. Some information and skills will be lost, and others gained. I think the balance won't shift much from what mother nature intended.

I gotta ask a stupid question, what did you use to cut the gasket material, and what exactly did you use the hammer for? I have gotten good with a straight edge and a sharp blade. I keep a set of cork borers that work perfectly for making different diameter holes in gasket material (I guess this is an example of skills being gained since nobody ever taught me that I couldn't do that).

Don't worry about the other tractor. Maybe he'll see the light, maybe he wont. It amazes me that people often delude themselves into thinking things have more value than they really do. I've done that a time or two. Sad thing is, is that his tractor will probably just rot away from his inability to deal with reality. BTW, did you offer him the extra that I messaged you about?

Hodge71

James,

The round end of the hammer cuts the gasket. You just tap the gasket and low and behold a circle appears where theres a hole. You tap with the flat side for straight areas and then the round again for radiuses. It was great to see how it works and then for my Dad to leave me do some. Just keep tapping until its all cut out. Yeah I offered him the extra and his answer was I must be insane. he would never consider $500

JamesBe1

James,

The round end of the hammer cuts the gasket. You just tap the gasket and low and behold a circle appears where theres a hole. You tap with the flat side for straight areas and then the round again for radiuses. It was great to see how it works and then for my Dad to leave me do some. Just keep tapping until its all cut out. Yeah I offered him the extra and his answer was I must be insane. he would never consider $500

The hammer technique is pretty cool. I see now how it works.

http://youtu.be/HWbNw7moKl8

• Like 1

Hodge71

That it James!!!! I saw it on Youtube myself but it wouldnt allow me to post it on here for some reason.... I think I will contact a mod to pin this video. It could help some others on here

• Like 1

Duff

Great video! Out to be pinned! :thanks:

Duff :thumbs:

JamesBe1

Yeah, it would probably be a good video to pin. I'm sure a lot of people could use the knowledge.

Jeff - ever consider making your own video on the subject? Would be cooler if the video came from the herd here.

Mayhaps someone can dig up an even better video somewhere?

Hodge71

Todays progress, Got 3 coats of paint on her before the clouds came and I didnt want it to get water droplets in wet paint. Probably gonna do 3 more next week when its back to 65 here.

post-1339-0-32610600-1331251578_thumb.jppost-1339-0-91099400-1331251602_thumb.jppost-1339-0-78939500-1331251623_thumb.jp

Also got my hydro pump from Kelly to day so hopefully tomorow will begin the teardown and polishing of the slippers and swashplate and then reassembly.

JamesBe1

Tremendous! Too bad you couldn't get the steering wheel off, but you seem to have found a satisfactory work-around. How many cans of paint did it take?

I didn't notice before, but I see you have turning brakes. That's a nice option to have. Can't wait to see the finished tractor.

Hodge71

James, believe it or not, its 3 cans of valspar tractor and implement that got me that far. As far as the turning brakes...thats kind of a sore subject. I was told that the tractor had turning brakes, when I picked it up I was given a box full of junk that was supposed to be all the parts necessary to make turning brakes and a 3 point hitch. Well I got home and got a printout of the turning brakes instruction sheet only to find I had a pedal and a rod. I need calipers, pads, rods, springs, and assorted miscellaneous clips and parts to get them to work. So I have rotors for turning brakes, hopefully someday I will have actuall working turning brakes on it.

Trouty56

Sheez...that is some good coverage there Jeff....

Hodge71
post-1339-0-04189900-1331338353_thumb.jpScored one!!! I have been helpin a friend of mine who has a lawncare business. I've been pressure washing, changing,belts, oil, sharpening blades, changing bad spindles etc. and tuning up all his Scag zero turns as he has ZERO mechanical ability. Out in the yard I see this lonely old Wheel Horse rear engine mower sitting dead. Its actually been there for years sitting with a blown motor. He had a guy renting space from him who left his junk behind after he was evicted. I'm checkin out the little horsie and I see its powered by a Kohler 18 hp vertical shaft with my air cleaner for my 18 auto on it. Granted it was faded black from sitting outside for about 6 years but its right. So a phone call later...filter housing is mine. Blasted it tonight and primed it.. by tomorrow night it'll be red.

JamesBe1

Not bad at all. You might want to see if there are any things (carb, governer, ect.,) that you can snag for later. Too bad it's a vert shaft, I'd be pestering you for the engine.

Hodge71

James, I doubt that there is much on a vertical shaft that fits our 482s. If it was the right motor I'd give ya the damn thing. Unfortunately I think its a Command series

AMC RULES

Typically, you don't want to be painting when the humidity is really high either Jeff, not sayin' it doesn't look good.

I'm just sayin' for future reference. :thumbs:

JamesBe1

James, I doubt that there is much on a vertical shaft that fits our 482s. If it was the right motor I'd give ya the damn thing. Unfortunately I think its a Command series

Thank for thinking of me buddy!

Typically, you don't want to be painting when the humidity is really high either Jeff, not sayin' it doesn't look good.

I'm just sayin' for future reference. :thumbs:

Generally speaking, this time of year is best with the low humidity, but the temps are too low unless you can paint indoors. You're absolutely right about the humidity though, right before it rains when the air is saturated isn't the best time to paint, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

AMC RULES

:thumbs:

JamesBe1

Jeff, there is a D-180 on ebay for $350 not far from me. I know you are looking for a parts tractor. Unfortunately, it has a broken rod, so the engine is no good for me. Just my luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230759854819&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Hodge71

Thanks Brother!!! I got my eye on that 1. I thas everything I need to complete mine, except the damn turning brakes.... Theyre rarer than hens teeth

Trouty56

A lot of leaking from the tranny though......

Trouty56

However the tires are beautiful on the rear....plus a blade....there's the 350 almost....