Hodge71

D Series Restoration

Hodge71

Well it starts and runs and drives and heres the link so we can all go for a ride together!!!!

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Nice one Jeff, you've every reason to feel ecstatic. A great video and a job well done!

Just a little more now and the project's complete.

Andy

Jake Kuhn

That is one nice tractor hodge! Jake

Hodge71

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I still have some more to go but it wont be long I hope. I started tearing into a deck tonight so that I can make sure all is well before I throw it under the horsie

Trouty56

Thanks for giving us hydro owners hope Jeff. :)

JamesBe1

Way to go Jeff! Nice tractor. We'll have to celebrate by barbequing a John Deere!

P.S. The dash looks great in red.

Zeek

Nice job! Thanks for the video!!

coldone

Simply awesome! Going from what you had to what you have, great job.

Hydro

Just saw your video Jeff congratulations.

Hodge71

Here it is 99.75% complete. I'm just waiting for my new L.E.D. headlights to come in. As many can see its got a 60" in deck under her. :jaw: I was able to adapt a 60" deck from a 520 to fit where the factory stuck a 48. I wish the factory would have thought of this back in '73. I must say its quite the lawn mowing beast. I think it scares the grass when its coming. I can see the blades tremble in fear. :scared-eek::scared-yipes:

post-1339-0-40890200-1342032824_thumb.jppost-1339-0-42115900-1342032847_thumb.jppost-1339-0-06808900-1342032869_thumb.jp

The down side is I believe I have a pretty serious carb/governor issues. I have adjusted both the low speed and high speed mixture screws. It starts and idles well, but it really doesnt like running with the throttle wide open. It also sounds like its not reaching max rpm at W.O.T. Once the deck is engaged, it really lugs down. It seems like the governor is working ( I can see it moving the throttle rod) but it just doesnt seem as if its opening the throttle enough under load to compensate. How do I find what RPM the engine is running at W.O.T.? Is there an adjustment for the governor that I can make to make sure it adjusts higher under load? I'm kinda bummed that I'm having an issue after all this work but I will get through this also. Its been a long road but the end has got to be near. :confusion-helpsos:

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Nice tractor. It looks like the deck is a really tight fit.

I know from the Kohler manual that the max RPM's are 3600, and that there is a procedure for adjusting the governor sensitivity. GIve it a shot and see what happens. It's kinda odd that the deck would load down the engine so much.

Regarding the new headlights - did you find something that fits inside of the rubber bezels or are you going to attach them by some other manner?

James

rexman72

very nice tractor great restore

coldone

I have one of these as my tach.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photo-Laser-Tachometer-Contact/dp/B001N4QY66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342042212&sr=8-1&keywords=handheld+tachometer

ol550

Any chance the max rpm problem due to constipation? :confusion-confused: Will the Gravely style muffler

pass enough gas for the 18 hp? I myself have one on a GT-14 and sometimes I suspect it

could be restricting the flow. :dunno:

wheeledhorseman

Guess what Jeff....... I have a similar issue with my D-200.

I'm not convinced I can get anything like max rpm. Ticks over fine, it will rev up so far as the throttle is opened but then reaches a point where it starts hunting rather than revs increasing further.

Initially I thought the linkage was getting stuck but it seems to be more carb / governor related. After wasting a lot of time fiddling about with mixture settings and getting nowhere (in fact I seemed to be making matters worse) I set the mixture screws to the initial settings suggested in the Kohler manual and left it like that as I wanted to get it to a show.

Haven't had the time this week to investigate further but as James says there's a bit about governor adjustment in the Kohler manual. Looks like we may be comparing notes again just like old times!

Andy

CRE1992

Jeff it looks great! Did you get the new blades? Can't wait to see it finished with the "special hitch" :happy-jumpeveryone:

Hodge71

James, the headlights are a direct fit in the rubber bezels. 10Xs the light output of the originals but only draw .25 amps each instead of 5 amps each like the OEM. The picture is an optical illusion, there actually is quite a bit of space. I could probably have gone with a 101 inch deck belt to move it back a bit more but I can turn the wheels quite tight, not quite full tilt but damn close.

Coldone, Thats one helluva deal on that tach. I will be getting 1 immediately. I had a guy PM me about a vibration type tach that basically just sits on the engine and somehow knows what the RPMS are. I have never seen or heard of that type before but I think I'm gonna give yours a shot

Ol550,

I dont think its constipation as the problem just reared its head. It ran great last week, this problem just showed up. The 18 fires like a Harley, one cylinder at a time. SO basically I have two 9 hp Kohlers.

Andy,

I guess we shall learn together. I have done the same thing and actually fooling around made it worse for me too.so I guess time will tell for both of us. It will be funny if we both have the same problem across the pond from each other.

Charles , I have ordered new high lift blades but cut with the ones you had on it. It cuts ok, there was only a few spots where it was really high that it missed from him grinding the ends of the blades.

To everyone else thanks for the compliments

Ken B

Nice job Jeff! They really looks nice and I love the rear tires. If that D started any faster you might have to worry about it starting on its own!

Jake Kuhn

Wow! That really looks great! Love those rear tires and taillights! :bow-blue: Jake

Trouty56

Looks real nice Jeff....have you timed the engine with a light yet? Maybe you have mentioned it but this is a loooonng thread to read through. My 482 runs just fine with the same exhaust setup.

Hodge71

Bob,

I have not timed it. I also have no idea even where to begin, other than its under the cover on the flywheel. I dont have a timing light for small engines I also have to do the points but have no clue where to start with them. I wish I had a horse mechanic close-by that would allow me to watch, help and learn so that I could then do it myself in the future. I guess now that I'm back from a little vacation with my son I gotta tear into this now.....

wheeledhorseman

Jeff

I'm kind of feeling that the similar issue I'm having with my D is fueling related though not 100% certain. It was fitted with an electric fuel pump by a PO and I had an issue with it not pumping correctly a few weeks back so its where I'm starting with mine.

Haven't had much time to work on the D recently but a new Facet electronic pump has arrived so I'm going to fit that as a first option. It might clear my fault but if it doesn't at least I'll know that the pump's good and be able to move on to check the carb thoroughly.

I'll keep you posted.

Andy

Trouty56

Jeff...

On top of the flywheel cover is a little knockout. You gotta turn the engine until the "SP" is in the little window. It is about 12 degrees (a guess) before TDC. Take a pencil eraser or something and paint it white. Then hook up the timing light up and see if the mark is in the window. If not then loosen the governor and spin it until the mark is centered. You may need to open or close the points a bit if spinning the governor doesn't get you there. The points open and close off the governor shaft.

Hodge71

Bob, Where do I get a timing light for small engines?

Trouty56

I used a regular light my nephew had. Nothing special.