Hodge71

D Series Restoration

wheelhorse656

Looking good!!!!

wheeledhorseman

Good to hear that the brackets turned up and you're making progress again Jeff.

Re the gas cap, Im also 99% sure that Kelch made the original cap for WH. Mine was about 13 and 1/2 inches long but pretty much knackered. Kelch wouldn't supply me one direct but put me onto another company who could supply a 12" one.

Knowing what some US companies are like I emailed them to check that they'd ship to the UK and was told it was easy and that I could choose the country on their online ordering system.

Tried that, discovered I could select virtually any country in the world, made the order only to get a message on screen that they didn't currently ship to my country. :banghead:

One of our 'D' family offered to let me use his address so I ordered again. Success, even got a confirmation of order email.

A week passed then I recieved an email - Sorry we can't process your order as we don't ship to PO Boxes. :banghead:

I replied within minutes providing the street address expecting a reply to say they could now ship (yeah right!).

A day later I emailed again to check if they got my email. An hour or so later I got a one line reply "yes we did."

Is this rude or what?

Don't know about your side of the pond but here we're still very much in a recession and companies are desperate for any business they can get. I won't name this company as I wouldn't recommend buying anything from them. (rant over)

Andy is going to be jealous for that gas cap for sure.
Not at all jealous James, just pleased Jeff has managed to get one for his. I'm just hoping the company I've ordered mine from will finally get off their backsides and send it out to you.

Andy

Hodge71

Well I made a ton more progress in the last 2 days. I ripped the old wiring harness( if you want to call it that) post-1339-0-99610500-1336824865_thumb.jp

Installed the new fuse block and harness assembly post-1339-0-15119600-1336824882_thumb.jppost-1339-0-20553100-1336824900_thumb.jpand routed the harness and wired up the ignition, light switch, and solenoidpost-1339-0-59195500-1336824915_thumb.jp.

I got the gas tank installed and put fuel in it to make sureit was leak free before filling it morepost-1339-0-15876900-1336824976_thumb.jp. As I was working, I keep hearing voices and noises. I'm checkin the wooods around the house as its rather desolate where I'm at. Eventually I turned around quickly and found the sourcepost-1339-0-04611800-1336825057_thumb.jp Apparently someones jealous that I'm not trying to get the Techy running on the 551.

post-1339-0-47242100-1336824935_thumb.jppost-1339-0-18882000-1336824954_thumb.jppost-1339-0-15876900-1336824976_thumb.jppost-1339-0-10290900-1336824998_thumb.jppost-1339-0-08162300-1336825021_thumb.jp

Heres a link to the youtube vid of the fireup and short run. Hopefully more progress and run time tomorrow

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Holy Carp that's nice! It looks stellar.

I am glad to see that you are almost done. The muffler sounds real nice.

Just a thought about the fuse box - it might be better to mount it on it's side in case water or other material gets in there.

Do you have an oil pressure gage for it? I find it is an excellent monitoring tool. I am glad I installed on on mine.

James

Hodge71

James I'm going factory stock. It didnt have an oil pressure guage from the factory and I'm not carving up my dash to put one in. The hole that there is for the hydro temp gauge which should be in soon. Somehow I lost the damn thing. Ugh, I guess that what happens with over 6 months between teardown and rebuild when youre occasionally disorganized

wheeledhorseman

Coming on nicely there Jeff its looking and sounding good. Must have been good to see those hubs spinning and bet you can't wait to take it for a drive next weekend. The gas cap looks great - can't wait for mine to arrive.

After weeks of rain it stopped over the weekend here so I got to take mine for a 20 minute drive round but most of the seat time was on a 'C' mowing grass that's growing like crazy with the weather we've had to put up with.

Andy

Hodge71

Ok Guys,

I'm reaching out for help. I'm just about ready to pull my hair out. :angry-banghead: I have the linkage hooked up to the hydro pump for the direction control. The issue I have now is that it only moves forward and when in neutral it still moved forward just slowly. If I adjust the linkage in the trunnion to get it to stop when in neutral and also have reverse, when I go to move the linkage to forward it goes forward just at about half speed. How do I keep reverse and neutral and also keep forward moving at full speed? I cant find a sweet spot on this linkage no matter how I adjust it. I am at a loss here on this one. :confusion-helpsos:

JamesBe1

Wow. You got me stumped on that one Jeff. I must have just gotten lucky when I put mine back together. Everything still works the way it was supposed to, albeit with some adjustments.

Is there any chance that it went back together wrong? Did you take pics before you took it off? If it weren't for that, I would still be puzzling over how to get mine back together.

If you need pics, let me know, I can take the side plate off of mine and snap away.

Hodge71

The 18 controls only fit 1 way and mine is right except for the parking brake which has me stumped. But on the pic end of things...no I didnt take any pics and unfortunately the 18 auto is a 1 off and nobdy here can provide me with the pics that I need. I have asked numerous times to no avail.... SO I guess I'm screwed to the ground on this until I can figure it out on my own

JamesBe1

Well, this site isn't the only game in town (although it is one of the best).

How about mytractorforum. There are several yahoo groups that I have gotten help from too.

You might try getting some pics of other D-Series linkages. One of them might have an important clue or two. I really wish I could be of more help.

coldone

Silly question, do you have the Hydro manual? Diagram and adjustments are covered.

wheeledhorseman

Jeff - I know my D has a very different control assembly but I've looked at the Toro diagram for yours and the adjustment part works on a similar principal as far as I can see.

Adjustment of the correct neutral position is made using the excentric assembly with the sort of semi circular slot. It's not actually semi-circular but excentric (like me)

post-1339-0-08162300-1336825021_thumb.jpg

The problem with setting up from scratch is that there are two variables - the trunion adjustment and the excentric adjustment.

Coldone's point is good in that there must be a set of instructions for doing this.

I spent hours playing with the adjustments on mine to establish that it wasn't the control system that's responsible for no reverse.

In adjusting it I found it helpful to mark the pump shaft to indicate full forward/reverse and neutral postion as a reference point.

What I also discovered that may be helpful is that by design full reverse on the control lever uses very little of the possible rotation of the pump shaft i.e. reverse speed is limited to a crawl. Full speed forward uses most of the possible pump control shaft rotatio but I wasn't convinced that it uses all of it and put this down to the fact that the tranny has large wheels attached to it.

Up until recently I didn't play with the trunion adjustment at all but when I stripped the panels off to photograph the system I did have a little play and wished I hadn't afterwards as although neutral now sits where it should on the gate slot that the motion control lever shaft passes though, I have now lost some of the forward speed. Tends to indicate how critical the cam and trunion adjustments are.

When I get a moment I've got to set it back as t was even though the neutral position on the 'gate' wasnt quite in the right place.

Hope there may be something here in these ramblings that helps.

Andy

meadowfield

good points...

By design my GT14 should go 1mph faster than a stock 8 speed tractor. It doesn't ! I put that down to wear, but I guess there is scope to ensure the eccentric is set to almost crawl forward in neutral so that the rest of the travel is purely pump flow rather than taking up the slack - so to speak !

Pity you have to take have these things apart to play and adjust ! :)

Hodge71

I had a brainstorm about 2 this morning (which I'm not sure its a good thing that I dream about Wheel Horses) but I'm going to try it hopefully today. What I was thinking is as follows.....I know that with no linkage connected and by manipulating the direction control on the pump I do have forward and reverse. I tested this before I got to ths point of connecting the levers. SO I think that if I find neutral on the pump lever, then adjust the trunnion with the motion control in neutral until the linkage lines up with the pump lever I should be close. AT that point I might need to adjust neutral further with the eccentric. I guess we shall see....the biggest thing that concerned me was up to this point when the motion control was in nuetral, the tractor still krept forward......now to find the time to fit all this in......I have too many oars in the water and I dont think a couple are rowing in the same direction.....

wheeledhorseman

Know the feeling only too well. Good luck.

coldone

I have too many oars in the water and I dont think a couple are rowing in the same direction.....

Ditto!

JamesBe1

That sounds like an excellent approach Jeff. It would seem that the reverse speed would be pretty limited due to the danger involved, and that they probably designed it not to use the full range of the forward motion. Figuring out how to find the sweet spot the first time can be a pain, then after that it's pretty easy.

I know what it's like to lie awake pondering these issues. That is usually when I get the best answers to the questions I ponder. The subconscious is a wonderful problem solver.

If you figure it out, I hope you post some instructions on here for future endevours.

BTW, taking pictures before you take it apart is one of the best 'tricks' I ever learned. I learned it the hard way of course. One of my old flight instructors used to have me help him rebuild his ultralights. He was really good at taking pictures. I saw firsthand how useful it is. I usually feel really stupid standing there taking pictures of something that I think is simple and won't likely forget, but I have found that it is often the extraneous stuff in the pics that comes in the handiest. Several times with my D, I have gone back to see how something was put together. I often come across the info I want in a picture of something else.

Shameless plug for falcons:

http://www.aerofalcon.com/images/3_Falcons_at_Hovings.jpg

http://www.aerofalcon.com/homepage.htm

• Like 2

Trouty56

Hey Jeff....maybe you can try to work off the neutral setting. Try strapping the brake pedal down and then setting neutral using the eccentric (raise the rear end and adjust the eccentric so the wheels stop turning). Everything else has to be adjusted from that baseline. Adjust the trunion so the handle is where it should be in the slot on the side of the console. No matter what the brake should always return the pump to neutral.

Crazy setup on there as compared to the 180 I have.....but way less parts...... :)

Hodge71

Well guys pretty much a month to the day since the last post I got the linkage installed properly. Its adjusted for neutral and its it returns there every time I step on the brakes. As you can see from the pic its back on all 3 of her hoofs for the first time in 8 months. And what a sight it was for me to get it this far tonight. post-1339-0-87277200-1340917393_thumb.jp

Tomorrow I hope to have the gauges finished, the battery where it belongs,the seat back on and be driving around the house. I do have problem though. I marked the wires for the rectifier wires and somehow theyre clean now. I know where the green goes but does anyone have any idea where the other 2 wires go? I dont want to create an issue by reversing something. Let me know guys

Trouty56

Two wires come from the engine to the terminals that are side by side. The lone terminal goes to the R post of the switch.....

__ __ - from the engine in no particular order (AC current)

__ - to the R post of the switch (DC current)

JamesBe1

Nice progress. I like the little wheel horse in the background. Interesting comparison.

Hodge71

James that little Suburban 400 has been my work horse. I had about 600 pounds of rocks in the dump cart for a rockwall that I'm building and the little thing didnt even break a sweat. I sure got my moneys worth out of it and the $50 1973 dump cart......

Wheel Crazy

Wow!! The tractor is coming along and looks great!! I can't wait to see more progress and really can't wait for it to be done! Great job!!

Jake Kuhn

Looking really good! :bow-blue: Jake

Hodge71

Thanks guys.

I made some more progress today. Air filter and air cleaner on, hydro temp gauge in and hooked up, OEM seat is reassembled and installed minus the arm rests and associated bracketry but by 10 am it was 94 here so I retired and will do more when it cools down on Monday. I should be driving her next week hopefully.