Sign in to follow this  
jcb857

surburban 400 question

jcb857

I am looking at a surburban 400 and have some questions. Where is the serial # tag located and is it a metal or a decal tag? What type seat is correct does it have circle holes or is it solid or does it have slits instead of circle holes? Is the hood support solid with no holes for cables? And did any have clinton b1290 engines. Thanks for all your help

ol550

Serial number is on the metal plate between the choke and throttle

levers. I think all the seats had round holes. They had Kohler K91's.

Mike

wallfish

Some of the seats used for 1960 were a solid seat pan. I have 2 of them and one came with an RJ58/59. I think it's also possible that a Clinton could have been factory for some of the early 400s since Wheel Horse is known for using up their inventory. Hopefully some of the experts can chime in on thiis.

stevebo

Here is a pic of my all original 400.

400.jpg

WHRNaddict

A few of the 400's, and 401's did have B1290, I have a 401 w/ one. As I understand it Kohler was on strike in 1960 I believe and the K91 were head to get. I have copies of two diffrent service memo's 1962, and 1964 that list these two tractors w/ the Clinton B1290, and the K91. The seat should be soild on the 400, but it could be a late one and got the 401 seat. Who knows for sure.

jcb857

Other than the square hole for the leavers on the hood did it have two little round holes like the 401 hood?

jcb857

After I think about it I think the hood is a 550. :eusa-think:

wallfish

That's a no for an original 400 hood but I think a factory replacement hood had the holes. The replacement hood would also have louvers in the front. My hood was hacked by the PO but I think there was a hole to the right of the steering wheel for a switch for the 550. Mine was welded up.

A 400/550 would also have a steel brake/clutch pedal and the 61's would have a cast pedal.

Rooster

The 1961 hood had a large round hole with a cover right in the middle over the plug.

The 1961 also did not have levers, they had pull cables.

Good pics of the 1961 hood...