Sign in to follow this  
cham-ed

241k Kohler engine

cham-ed

<_< I have been talking about the 241K I've been rebuilding. After the bearing plate and the crankshaft was removed, I looked in. That is when I saw the broken out section of the bore.

0806280002.jpg

0806280003.jpg

I was going to see if the cylinder needed to be bored, but now? I suppose that a sleeve could be installed?

Now my real question is, is it worth it? I know any replys are opinions, but I would like your two cents. Several other inputs to the equation are: the tractor is an 857, which started life as a 181K. So a purist would say change the engine just to be pure. Not a big deal to me. The crank bearings seem OK. Here are photos of the crank.

0806280005.jpg

0806280004.jpg

I can't catch a nail in the bearing surface, but I haven't miked it yet.

The conn rod breaking was the reason I started the tear down.

Here are pictures of the head and top view of the bore.

0806280006.jpg

0806280008.jpg

0806280007.jpg

Well what do you think? Should I rebuild it? Should I part it out and look for a new engine?

TT

First thing to determine would be the amount of money you want to spend. If that's not a major issue, take the crankshaft and the block to a shop that can grind the crank and bore the cylinder. Once they are machined to the next available "in tolerance" size, buy the parts (or kit) to reassemble. It wouldn't hurt to have the valve guides checked/repaired, and the seats and valves ground while it's there.

Make sure you check the sealing surface of the cylinder head too. The big blocks aren't as prone to warpage as the smaller engines, but now's the perfect time to have a few thousandths milled off to be sure.

The chip at the bottom of the bore is not unusual from a broken connectiong rod, and if there aren't any other cracks emanating from that area, you can bevel or radius the rough edges with a file or a Dremel and it shouldn't affect the operation. (it's right at the bottom edge of the piston skirt.) Do this before the cylinder is machined, and check it again once it is done.

What you do is naturally up to you, but it looks like it can easily be saved to me.

That's my 2

cham-ed

Thanks TT

Cham-Ed

C101Mike

Cham-Ed

If you decide to part it out, I would be interested in the fan housing.

I need to practice my welding skills, burnt a hole in the housing trying to fix a crack :whistle: One of these days I'll learn to leave well enough alone.

Mine is a K241AS, I am assuming it is the same.

Mike R