Sign in to follow this  
608KEB

pictures of 1974 B-100 restoration

608KEB

I have a ways to go.

Kelly

Looks like it was pretty clean, or has it been painted before?

608KEB

I bought it in warren IL. The former owner had it since 78 or 79. He rebuilt the motor and painted it about 10-12 years ago. The paint is really nice. The problem was he used it only to plow snow and probably didn't keep it clean. I went back and forth for months about deciding to restore it. The rims were painted silver and it has the wrong decals on the hood. This is the first restoration I've ever done on anything. I had a WH about 30 years ago...used to mow lawns in highschool. I also bought a 75 B-80 4spd last summer. I'm going to use that on a regular basis. The B-80 was a one owner from KS. came with a 36" rear discharge deck and a 42" plow. Both tractors must have been kept inside. K.B.

Kelly

Here is my sons 74 B-100 auto we redid a few years ago, it has the wrong engine in it (8hp), but I think this winter we are going to rebuild the orig. 10hp

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

With his first thropy

100_5131.jpg

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Kelly, that is a sharp looking tractor!

I have a 1975 B-80 (8 speed), and a 1975 B-100 Auto....neither one looks as nice as yours!

massey

Nice start, keep the pics coming.

rmaynard

I have a ways to go.

That's okay. The B-100 is a great tractor, and lots of parts are available for it. I started with just a couple of piles of rusty parts and built my B-100 from the ground up.

608KEB

If my restoration turns out like yours, I would be very happy. Your B-100 looks great!

Jake Kuhn

looks great so far! :handgestures-thumbup:

608KEB

Looking for suggestions where to find brass bushings for levers for B-100 restoration. I'll post some pics soon on the progress. KB

AMC RULES

They are some nice looking tractors, all done up. :icecream:

rmaynard

Looking for suggestions where to find brass bushings for levers for B-100 restoration. I'll post some pics soon on the progress. KB

Brass bushings should still be available from Toro, but they are pricey. What are the part numbers you are looking for? You may be able to replace them with less expensive Nyliner bushings.

Sparky

With his first thropy

100_5131.jpg

Kelly, whats that silver V shaped piece for under his tractor?

Mike........

AMC RULES

Looks line a line painted on the asphalt Mike. :dunno:

Who's fault? :ROTF:

bowtiebutler956

That B-100 looks very clean, perfect for a nice restore. :thumbs: I have a B-80 as well, and like Kelly mine doesn't have the correct motor, its a K301 12hp. Good luck and keep the pics coming. Here is my B-80.

Matt

post-6076-0-07721000-1331593677.jpg

post-6076-0-03531100-1331593701.jpg

hm12460

Sure wished I had a B-80.

608KEB

I will try to post some more pics in the next week. I sand blasted the frame and other parts. I used paint stripper on the rear end. It took a while but i did get all the old paint off. I did have time to get the frame, rear end, tie rods, tires and motor back together. It's slow going.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Hey, take your time. Your work looks really good! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Terry M

Looks good! Just curious about what are you useing for paint??

Terry

608KEB

I'm using valspar restoration series IH red #3344. I also decided to use the vaspar primer. On the rearend I used a primer with zinc in it. Rattle can on the cast iron and steel parts. I am going to paint the tin parts with a gun. K.B.

608KEB

I was looking for suggestions about picking up a thicker gasket that goes between the carberator and the block. The one I picked up from the toro dealer is thin. He told me it was the replacement gasket for my K241 10 hp.

kpinnc

I also decided to use the vaspar primer.

Forgive me for saying this, but I would not use that primer. I've used Valspar paint many times with great results, except when I used it with Valspar primer. For whatever reason, the two coats react to one another and the paint will remain tacky soft for a week or more. Even after it dries to the touch, you can leave an indention with your fingernail weeks later. Other members here have had similar results from this combination as well.

I use Rustoleum primers with Valspar paint- in rattle cans or my sprayer. It's has worked very well for me, and I've got several machines to show for it.

Good luck regardless.

608KEB

thanks for the tip. K.B.

Martin

I was looking for suggestions about picking up a thicker gasket that goes between the carberator and the block. The one I picked up from the toro dealer is thin. He told me it was the replacement gasket for my K241 10 hp.

there are two different gaskets available for the k-241 carb to engine mounting. usually both are included in an kohler engine gasket kit, but napa looks like they have them available separately. the thick one looks like 4704901-s, its a slightly different shape than the thinner one. i have 2 different flange shapes in the carter carbs that i have here, the thick gasket fits one shape better than the other. same goes for the thin gasket, it fits the other shape better.

both are kohler parts.

thick gasket 4704901-s $6.69.....

341065.jpg

thin gasket 271030-s $2.29.......

340968.jpg

ive used both, but the shape of the thin one is more 'correct' for some of the carb flanges. if you 'surface the flange' on the carb by using some 220 grit on a flat surface, the thin one should work ok.

608KEB

Some pics of my progress. The hillbilly paint booth get a little tough when it's windy! K.B.