Sign in to follow this  
WH520

1988 Wheel Horse 518-H

Anglo Traction

You know...I've been eyeballing some prefabbed louvered patch panels on Ebay, for just such an occasion. Which way would you face the louver inlet to obtain maximum air flow over the rear cylinder?

I'm not familiar with This Model and I hope WH520 doesn't mind a brief Hijack of his Thread.

I can understand the Cooling issue (if there is one?) where the Air has passed over/through the Rear Cylinder Fins, then hits the inside of the Belt Guard......hence Jay's Perforation Mod :handgestures-thumbup: .

Also, Please forgive me Jay for 'Doctoring' one of your Pics to give an idea of my perception of Louvre position which would follow the line of the upper edge of the Guard so the hot air is directed out and slightly downwards like so.

post-3520-0-14304500-1336835701_thumb.pn

Forgive the primitive artwork, just used MS Paint.

WH520

Thanks for the compliments everyone, really do appriciate it.

from the looks of your yard you must know the way to Lake Arthur by heart! Jay former butler county resident

They're not all mine, I'm not that crazy! :lol: I have a boat storage so yes, I've been there more than most people should :lol: The lakes only 5 miles from my house.

What color gray are you guys using on the wheels that's close to the original color?

After removing the tires, hit the rims with a red scotch brite pad, and spray bomb with Argent Silver and clear.

Results are virtually indentical to the factory finish. :thumbs:

http://www.eastwood....-paint-set.html

http://www.eastwood....face-11-oz.html

Thanks for the info! I'll be doing that very shortly with any luck.

You know...I've been eyeballing some prefabbed louvered patch panels on Ebay, for just such an occasion.

Which way would you face the louver inlet to obtain maximum air flow over the rear cylinder? :scratchead:

I've read of people talking about using louvers but never seen/heard of any follow up on it. I never really looked into them but I do believe that would be the way to go for a factory appearance. I've always had the thought of ventilating the belt guard in the back of my mind but guess I never gave it a whole lot of thought.

Nice job on the PS Anglo! I'm going to agree with you. I think that would be the best position to install it in order to let the heat escape.

Ken B

Nice job on the 518. The Eaton 1100 upgrade was a very wise choice. Wheel Horse should have put an 1100 in there in the first place.

kpthorsefan

Hi, after reading this post on the problems with onan engines overheating { which i didn't know about } i decided to do the same on my 316-8. I hope you dont mind me sharing the photos.. And thats a nice 518 you have.. :handgestures-thumbup:

DSCF1081.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

WH520

Nice job on the 518. The Eaton 1100 upgrade was a very wise choice. Wheel Horse should have put an 1100 in there in the first place.

Thank you Ken. I know. I'm not sure what made them put the 1100 in the 300 and 400 series and a 700 in the 516 and 518's. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Hi, after reading this post on the problems with onan engines overheating { which i didn't know about } i decided to do the same on my 316-8. I hope you dont mind me sharing the photos.. And thats a nice 518 you have.. :handgestures-thumbup:

DSCF1081.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

Thank you! I don't mind the pics at all. That looks about as factory as you can get. Very nice job!

WH520

Here's something I made up yesterday. It's not as pretty as some yours but I think it will work. Just need to scuff it up a little and get it painted.

GEDC0205.jpg

GEDC0208.jpg

GEDC0207.jpg

Just realized I have it upside down in the pics.... I thought it seemed lower than it should have been :lol:

WH520

I got the urge to get it done tonight. Need a ball and it'll be done.

GEDC0209.jpg

GEDC0210.jpg

GEDC0211.jpg

massey

Great work on your tractor, also I like the upgrades, louvers, hitch, rear end. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Jake Kuhn

Great job on the hitch,it looks great! :bow-blue: Jake

WH520

Great work on your tractor, also I like the upgrades, louvers, hitch, rear end. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thank you! I like the upgrades too :lol: Louvers will be next, just need to find some that aren't worth more than the tractor.

Great job on the hitch,it looks great! :bow-blue: Jake

Thanks Jake!

WH520

The last few weeks I've been having problems with (what I thought was) the hydro. It's really jerky when slowing down and going up hills.. Today I hooked a trailer up to it and as soon as the weight was on the hitch the tractor took off. It didn't just take off though, it took off full speed while doing a wheelie with the trailer hooked up and me chasing after it. I couldn't help but laugh when I got it stopped :lol:

So I took the trailer off and took the 518 back to the shed for further investigation. I took the the seat pan/fenders off and the belt guard and started going forward and backwards while walking beside it. The whole rear end was rocking back and forth putting tension on the cam causing the hydro to "engage". Got to digging around a little more and found out the mounting plate for the rear end has a 2-2.5" crack going right through the right lower mounting bolt hole. It's my fault for not checking it before when I did the rear end swap. I never really thought about it cracking so I didn't really give it a good look over . Then after I was done with the swap I read a few posts on here in other threads saying it's not uncommon for the plate to crack.

So tomorrow it will be fixed and will be able to handle a 351W with an E4OD :lol:

WH520

Well I didn't get to it until today but it is fixed! I couldn't believe how fast I had the rear end off and put back on, wish it would have gone that easy when I originally put this rear end in :lol: I use a piece of 1/2" plate. I just bolted it to the rear end "sandwiching" the original mounting plate. I was going to weld it also but wanted to make sure it was going to work before I made it permanent. Now after using it for an hour or so I'm not sure it even needs welded, I can't believe the difference it made so I might just leave it alone. I still need to paint it but here's some pictures.

The crack. The top left bolt hole was also starting to crack.

GEDC0244.jpg

GEDC0246.jpg

GEDC0253.jpg

GEDC0254.jpg

Didn't realize how dirty it really is until looking at these pics. :roll:

Edited by WH520
  • Like 1