dwayneGT

Snow thrower rotation

dwayneGT

This may be a stupid question but... I picked up an older 32" snow thrower model # 6-2211 serial # 407201, I modified it to lock into the tach-a-matic where the mule drive mounts, extended the lift arm,put a lift assist spring and put a longer belt on to reach the PTO on the engine. now everything works but the engine on the PTO side turns CCW wich makes the auger turn CCW. Is this correct or did I just waste a whole lot of time? (BTW my tractor is a 1982 GT1142 workhorse) :banghead:

oldredrider

Chances are your chain drive for the auger is not routed properly. Check and let us know.

dwayneGT

When I got it the chain was off. Do you know how it goes on?

Trouty56

TT has a post describing it somewhere....search snowblower chain....aw heck...I'll just post his diagram.

throwerchain.jpg

TT gets the credit for this......

• Like 1

dwayneGT

Thanks guys! :bow-blue: Although mine only has one idler(the lower) having the chain go under the auger makes sence and should correct the rotation on the thrower thanks again!

CasualObserver

Here's the thread with TT's post where that picture came from.

You may also be interested in this one for additional reference. Always useful.

dwayneGT

Just a quick update. I had to take the chain apart to re-route it, took out a link, tweeked the alignment on the jackshaft sprocket and buttened her up and she works perfect now. Thank you all for your help!

Trouty56

Kool deal Dwayne....snow tomorrow...maybe!!! :)

bowtieguy

Thanks guys! :bow-blue: Although mine only has one idler(the lower) having the chain go under the auger makes sence and should correct the rotation on the thrower thanks again!

Dwayne...I am also working on an old 6-2211 blower and it also has ONE idler sprocket.....and the parts lists shows only ONE....but there is a hole in the upper side of the blower which looks like another sprocket could be added there....but it appears that none has ever been bolted there.....I'm wondering if another sprocket would help keep the chain aligned as the auger sprocket shows alot of wear on one side of the teeth....

Will wait for a response from TT or anyone that wants to comment.

bowtieguy

Thanks Bob...It appears that this model should have TWO chain idlers although the parts manual shows only one....and that would match the chain routing pic from TT...still wondering why my blower and Dwayne's only have ONE but another member has a 6-2211 and it has TWO sprockets...guess I will go looking for a bargain...Toro wants 34 bucks and farm stores get 20 bucks for this little sprocket (#40 chain)

Trouty56

Beats me Frank....I have looked at a bunch of different manuals but don't see 2 sprockets till the '68 model 6-1211 (a 37" model). Place a wanted add on here and maybe someone will help you out for Christmas....

mdntspec

I have both the 6-1211 and 6-2211blowers, and they have both idler sprockets. The 6-2211 blower seized the bearings on the auger shaft last winter... :(

I did a complete rebuild on it this summer, welded/re-ground the shaft, new bearings and sprockets. McMaster-Carr has the idler sprocket for $25 mail order.

They also have a sprocket that can be used on the auger shaft....just cut the old one off, cut the new one to proper ID for the auger, and weld it back on.

Cheaper and easier than finding a new/used auger!!!!

dwayneGT

The parts list and pic in the toro master parts viewer only shows it having only the one lower sprocket and BobT we never got the changeover to snow it was all rain. :sad:

I am curious if adding adding a second sprocket on the top would help or not. Thanks Frank I wasen't sure if the chain was a #40 , I was thinking it might be a good idea to get a spare chain just in case.

Trouty56

We got a dustin' here and still have it on the lawn. Nothin' on the blacktop tho. Maybe next time...lol

bowtieguy

Bob...I gave up and went to TSC and bought another idler sprocket and mounted it in the TOP hole....if you only use one sprocket in the lower mounting hole you might want to check which way the auger is turning....I don't think my blower was ever assembled correctly (maybe that is the reason the PO never liked it)...

When I installed TWO sprockets and routed the chain per TT's diagram, the auger rotated correctly (downward)....I'd like to see the PO (previous operater) if he tried to blow snow with the auger turned in the wrong direction!!

Trouty56

I'll bet that thing threw snow out the front like mad.....kind of like those powered snow shovels. There you go Dwayne....better get another sprocket like Frank did and fix that thing right.

dwayneGT

When I got mine the chain was off( not broke ) and without taking the chain apart to route it the proper way this one couldn't have have worked right either.(probably why I got it for $80.00 bucks) It would have been like a power street sweeper. Maybe I'll go to tracter supply tomorrow and pick up another sprocket, I found 10' of #40 chain on a gokart site for $15.00 I'll post a link. I thought it migh tbe a good idea to have spare chain just in case!!

here is the link for the chain http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5/merch...tegory_Code=PFS It's listed in clutches & jackshafts section

bowtieguy

TSC has all sizes of roller chain....think I paid 10 bucks for 10' at TSC.

On another note...I had to cut a wider slot for the chain to come out of the back side so the chain will clear the blower housing when installed on the jackshaft.

My thrower now resembles model 6-1211 (formerly ST-376)..at least the parts lists indicates TWO idler sprockets are required....Geez, I'd better sell this pile of parts before I spend more money on it....it may never snow again in Missouri.

Note to self: get the 48" snow blade mounted on the 312-H today!!!..and quit jacking with a snow thrower!

dwayneGT

Frank,

Did you use the 17 tooth 1/2" bore sprocket form TSC ?

bowtieguy

Yep, I think that is it...believe it was TSC P/N 1182009....it is a better idler sprocket than the one that was on my thrower.

But is still a piece of junk made in China...oh, someday we will teach them how to build "quality stuff" like we did the Japenese...remember how we used to call it junk?....now look at the Honda engine!!

BTW..I am on a mission to "Buy USA"...I actually found a pair of socks at the farm store....socks made in USA..made my day.

ol550

For what it's worth, I picked up a couple of idler sprockets from my bearing supply

for $16. Still made in China though. Mike

dwayneGT

Thanks Frank, thats the part # I found on their website. I didn't want to drive 45 min to TSW and buy the wrong part!