Sign in to follow this  
Retired Wrencher

Battery

Retired Wrencher

:dunno: :wh: I tried to start up the C141 today the battery did not turn it over. I had it plug in all summer with a trickle/C. I think it may time for a new one. What would the highest cranking amps for this tractor. Would it be over 350 C/Amps. the motor has been done over so the $$$ is not an Issue I was thinking of a Napa battery??? ANY IDEAS??? also I can get one from the W/Horse Dealer but that would over priced. so any thoughts would be welcomed. Gary B......................

rmaynard

My theory is as long as it's 12 volts and will fit, no battery is "too" big.

CRE1992

I always replace batteries with Diehard golds from Sears, 340 ca on both the 520H and 416H that I just sold, if I remember correctly. I would of bought 400 ca or 375 but I don't believe they carry them. Optima batteries are also very good imo

-Charles

smoreau

I like STRONG BOX BATTERIES from the green tractor (john deere) store. Some ware around 400 cca. 1 year free replacement and 2 year pro rated replacement. They come dry and when you buy one they fill it at the time of purchase. I had 1 last over 8 years on a tractor with out ever putting it on a charger of any type. The price last year was $56.00 with exchange. I think its one of the best I have ever owned. :dunno:

Stigian

My 312-8 ran for 2+ years powered by only a motorbike battery..

When it died I replaced it with something slightly bigger :dunno:

TSS592.jpg

It hides in this box..

TSS594.jpg

rmaynard

When it died I replaced it with something slightly bigger :wh:

...and with a setup like that, who needs front wheel weights? :dunno:

Kelly

I've ran cheap batt.s from TSC and Walmart, they last a year 2 at best, I have a interstate one I think it's 480 cranking amps and it's 6 years old, I just picked up a Briggs and straton batt. it's 480 amps and weighs alot more that the cheap ones, new at TSC the briggs is $58, interstates run about $65 at a local store, you get what you pay for.

smoreau

:dunno:

AMC RULES

When it died I replaced it with something slightly bigger :dunno:

TSS592.jpg

It hides in this box..

TSS594.jpg

Now there's a weight box that makes sense. :wh:

Kelly

But how do you open the hood :dunno:

When it died I replaced it with something slightly bigger :wh:

TSS592.jpg

It hides in this box..

TSS594.jpg

Now there's a weight box that makes sense. :help:

AMC RULES

Humm yeah, except for that minor detail. :wh: That's why you're the :help: master Kelly. :dunno:

Kelly

Thanks but FAR from a master.

Retired Wrencher

Ok thanks for the info Guys I guess I will start shopping around. I seems to start fine now, But as we all know when that first cold snowy day comes around guess what click click click. :help::thanks::wh: :dunno:

Kelly

Be sure to get the post on the right sides or your batt. cables might not reach, they do make them with the pos. on either side.

tunahead72

I have a interstate one I think it's 480 cranking amps and it's 6 years old ... interstates run about $65 at a local store, you get what you pay for.

Kelly, I'm glad you mentioned the Interstates. It reminded me that I've had very good results with them over the last 5-10 years or so, and I've been gradually switching over all of my batteries to Interstates as the need arises, all my vehicles, motorcycle, International farm tractor, Wheel Horses, everything.

I currently have an Interstate SP-35 (375 CA) on my 310-8 that's only 2 seasons old so far and doing well. It was literally only a couple of dollars more expensive than the next model down, the SP-30 (290 CA).

No matter what brand I'm using, I always get more life out of my tractor batteries if I take them out for the winter, charge them fully, store them inside, and charge them up again once a month or so. If I do that consistently, I usually get 3-5 years out of a battery, vs. 1-2 years if I don't. And if you're going to be using your machine over the winter, keeping the battery on a trickle charger is an excellent idea.

Retired Wrencher

Hi Kelly this is what I have now for a set up. positive is on the left. Gary B....... 1978C141isDone006.jpg

Retired Wrencher

I have a interstate one I think it's 480 cranking amps and it's 6 years old ... interstates run about $65 at a local store, you get what you pay for.

Kelly, I'm glad you mentioned the Interstates. It reminded me that I've had very good results with them over the last 5-10 years or so, and I've been gradually switching over all of my batteries to Interstates as the need arises, all my vehicles, motorcycle, International farm tractor, Wheel Horses, everything.

I currently have an Interstate SP-35 (375 CA) on my 310-8 that's only 2 seasons old so far and doing well. It was literally only a couple of dollars more expensive than the next model down, the SP-30 (290 CA).

No matter what brand I'm using, I always get more life out of my tractor batteries if I take them out for the winter, charge them fully, store them inside, and charge them up again once a month or so. If I do that consistently, I usually get 3-5 years out of a battery, vs. 1-2 years if I don't. And if you're going to be using your machine over the winter, keeping the battery on a trickle charger is an excellent idea.

what would be the model # of the 480 CCA Gary B.........

Rooster

Wal-Mart and Auto Parts stores carry a 2 Amp battery maintainer for $20. Has a nice little plug that hooks up to your battery. When your done, plug it in and forget it! Will not over charge them and keeps it top shape!

DrabHorse

Harbor Freight has a trickle charger that you can get for a good deal with a coupon. I remember seeing someone post it here in the electrical forum.

I had good luck with a Duralast battery from Autozone, It was the largest one they carry for garden tractor 340cca. It lasted a long time and was still working real good just before I burned it up with an overcharging issue.

tunahead72

what would be the model # of the 480 CCA

I'd be guessing at which model Kelly was referring to, I'm hoping he'll be back soon....

In the meantime, I checked the Interstate web site again -- they also have a model SP-40 that's the same size and "termination" as the SP-30 and SP-35, with 425 CA. It's probably $15-$20 more expensive than the other two.

We may be starting to get our Cranking Amps specs confused here:

CA = Cranking Amps (rated at 32 deg. F)

CCA = Cold Cranking Amps (rated at 0 deg. F)

Here's the CA/CCA specs for the three Interstates I've mentioned:

SP-30: 290/230

SP-35: 375/300

SP-40: 425/340

Hope this helps.

Retired Wrencher

Well I Made the move yesterday. I got a H.D. cca350 she starts right up now. that was the problem. Thanks for all the advice. T/Care Gary B................

tunahead72

:thumbs:

Stigian

But how do you open the hood :scratchead:

When it died I replaced it with something slightly bigger :eusa-whistle:

TSS592.jpg

It hides in this box..

TSS594.jpg

Now there's a weight box that makes sense. :thumbs:

Opening the hood is easy.. or will be..

Just flip the lid on the battery box, disconnect the quick release battery leads (ok they only turned up in the post yesterday and have not been fitted yet), then quickly unwind a couple of "finger friendly" bolts and the whole box will lift off.. easy eh :)

KC9KAS

The Harbor Freight trickle charges are on sale right now for around $5....bought 4 about 2 weeks ago for $10 each....should have waited, but at the price of gasoline, I couldn't drive 50 miles to return & re-buy the chargers.

tunahead72

But how do you open the hood :scratchead:

Opening the hood is easy.. or will be..

Just flip the lid on the battery box, disconnect the quick release battery leads (ok they only turned up in the post yesterday and have not been fitted yet), then quickly unwind a couple of "finger friendly" bolts and the whole box will lift off.. easy eh :)

I'm curious about the quick release battery leads and the finger-friendly bolts -- more photos when you get a chance?

:thanks:

• Like 1