Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

K91 Question

71_Bronco

How difficult is it to find a complete recoil start set-up for the older K91's these days?

I see some of the parts are still available through various sites, but they seem to be ridiculous in price (at least in my opinion).

Thanks

Rooster

Kohler parts are not cheap, lol.

tunahead72

I would put an ad in the Classifieds section here, or contact some of our Vendors directly (some of them may not be hooked in to the new forum yet).

I know Dave's Tractor World (one of RedSquare's vendors) has a complete NOS assembly listed on eBay, with a starting price about 1/3 of what some of the online suppliers are asking. You'd have to check part numbers carefully, and I suspect that particular assembly won't work on your K91, but you get the idea.

Are you sure you need a complete assembly? The reason I ask, I was just messing around with the starter on my K161T the other day. I was able to get it working very nicely and smoothly again just by removing it from the engine (5 screws), cleaning the dirt off with an old toothbrush, spraying some WD-40 inside the pawl/dog housing and working it back and forth a dozen times or so. Reinstalled it, works beautifully! Be careful not to get the rope wet.

You probably already know not to open up that assembly unless you know exactly what you're getting into. You don't want the rewind spring to uncoil into your face! I made that mistake once about 30 years ago, and haven't been inside a recoil starter since. :dunno:

Good luck!

71_Bronco

The reason I was asking was because there was a complete set-up on eBay that ended last night. It was the motor cover / shroud, and the complete recoil start set-up with all the proper screens and all. It ended up going for $102.50. I was gonna try to snag it if I could, but had no desire to pay that much for it.

I might be in need of one, that's why I was asking and looking for one, but I will know for sure this weekend. I'll keep you guys informed, and I will check with the vendors.

Thanks

LeonardS

71_Bronco, if you get this figured out, let me know. I have a K91 on a 400 that I purchased and it has the old "wind the rope and pull" system. I purchased one of the above mentioned recoils from Daves Tractor World because he said it would fit. I have been working on other tractors, so have not tried it yet.

Qball312

Let us know if it fits. I pulled the recoil out of my Suburban and snapped it. I was going to purchase the one from Dave's but it didn't quite look right :dunno: . It's definitely the right price if it does work.

71_Bronco

Sorry guys, no update as of yet.

I tried to send him a P.M. on here, but got no response. Does anybody know his direct email? Maybe he isn't on the new Red Square yet?

Thanks

tunahead72

You're talking about Dave's? He is on the new RS (otherwise, how would you PM him? :dunno: ), but from what I gather he doesn't check in very often. I would try his web site http://www.davestractorworldonline.com, there's contact information there. Or you could try his eBay store.

71_Bronco

You're talking about Dave's? He is on the new RS (otherwise, how would you PM him? :dunno: ), but from what I gather he doesn't check in very often. I would try his web site http://www.davestractorworldonline.com, there's contact information there. Or you could try his eBay store.

Thanks for the link, I sent him a message through his site and I will see what I get for a response.