118lfd

Made some Front wheel weights

118lfd

I made these over the last few days

I think they came out pretty good

The rim I used. I had removed all the paint before using it as a mold. I pluged the holes and used a pipe for the center hole

2011-10-29193842.jpg

Fresh out of the mold

I then drilled the mounting holes and smoothed the outside with filler.

2011-10-29193825.jpg

Primed and painted

2011-10-31142255.jpg

The rims primed and painted

2011-10-31142251.jpg

The finished product. 50lbs each. I just need to install new bearings and tires then reinstall them to the tractor and reinstall the weights

2011-10-31142247.jpg

massey

Wow, nice job they look great.

SousaKerry

What is the material used?

118lfd

Lead

AMC RULES

They turned out great, look professionally made. Where'd you find the 100#'s of lead to make 'em with?

Sparky

Very nice! They look like a factory made part.

Mike.......

can whlvr

those look great,does the lead just pop out of the rim when cool?i tried concrete once in a rear,lubed the rim and all,it didnt come out and i had to bust it out ,i would like to do the lead,and it can be routed too,to put wheelhorse on them

118lfd

Yup they pop right out, a little effort but not to bad. As long as the rims don't have any spots where the lead would get hung up.

I used the pipe in the center to lift out the weight. A few smacks with a dead blow hammer and they came out no problem. Then banged the pipe a few times with a dead blow hammer and it came right out.

You can route it no problem. but do not sand it the dust is toxic.

118lfd

They turned out great, look professionally made. Where'd you find the 100#'s of lead to make 'em with?

I had a bunch of ingots I got from my uncle. I made a set of rear weights last year they were 80lbs each. This year he had some more lead left over so I got it and made these.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah, I remember that. You done good, they look great.

rexman72

wow very nice job and good workmanship.

littleredrider

That's a good idea. Problem is finding the lead....beats paying crazy money for factory front weights.....

HorseFixer

They look Great! :dunno:

Coadster32

Great job!! :dunno: How much do they weigh in at? I'd guess about 65lbs a peice.

KyBlue

Those are great looking pieces! Should be very proud of the craftsmanship.

118lfd

Great job!! :dunno: How much do they weigh in at? I'd guess about 65lbs a peice.

They ended up right at 50lbs each

smoreau

That should keep you glued to the ground :wh: Very very nice! You do great work. I want some too :dunno:

HorseFixer

Chris I would say about 50lbs As you know I did this before but I used 1 rim to cast them guess what?

The other rim that looked Identical wasnt and the weight when cast didnt fit that rim. :help: So I may

have to recast them. :thanks:

118lfd what kind model of tractor were the rims that you cast the weight off of?

I was wanting a set for the 520 but on the dished side of those rims there is a grease zert fitting how in the heck

would ya grease em? :wh:

Why did you take the paint off before casting the lead in the rim? Possible erruption? I am ammazed that the lead

didnt stick to the rim.

All I can say is you did a fantastic Job on them, did you use a roughter to get the face of weight smooth?

Thanks ~Duke :dunno:

CRE1992

They came off of his 316-8 :dunno:

And he didn't use a router, he used body filler for a car if I remember correctly!

Hopefully I answered your question Mr Duke.

-Charles

118lfd

Chris I would say about 50lbs As you know I did this before but I used 1 rim to cast them guess what?

The other rim that looked Identical wasnt and the weight when cast didnt fit that rim. :help: So I may

have to recast them. :thanks:

118lfd what kind model of tractor were the rims that you cast the weight off of?

I was wanting a set for the 520 but on the dished side of those rims there is a grease zert fitting how in the heck

would ya grease em? :wh:

Why did you take the paint off before casting the lead in the rim? Possible erruption? I am ammazed that the lead

didnt stick to the rim.

All I can say is you did a fantastic Job on them, did you use a roughter to get the face of weight smooth?

Thanks ~Duke :dunno:

I had some internet issues so sorry for the late reply

Duke the rims were a pair I got with a bunch of parts from buying a couple of tractors. I chose these cause they are deep dished on the outside so they would hold a larger weight. I don't know what they came off but they fit the spindles on my 310-8 (for the 6inch rims) and the old raider 10 I have (8 inch rims). The grease fitting is on the back side of the rims with the valve stem.

I cast both weights out of 1 rim and they fit both rims fine. The lead comes right out as it does not stick to bare steel. I removed the paint cause it will burn at the temps we are working with here and burning paint underneath molten lead is not something I wanted to see first hand. At the very least it would mess up the lead. Preheating the mold helps alot. I used a propane weed torch to melt the lead and preheat the rim prior to pouring. If the rim is cold as you pour the lead in it will cool faster than you can ladle the lead in. I pop them out as soon as the lead is hard but before it completely cools.

I was going to try and embed bolts in the lead so there would be studs sticking out of the mounting side but could not figure it out and have it work good.

After they are cast and cool I roughed the surface of the weights with some 36 grit sandpaper by hand while vacuuming the dust making sure to wear a mask. By using 36 grit paper you are not making fine dust and I only scratch the surface so the bondo has something to grab. Then just like body repair smooth the filler prime and paint. Now I just need tires and some new bearings to try them out. But no rush I am still sucking leaves up for the time being.

Doubletrouble

Those look awsome! I'd love to make some front and rear but I wouldn't know where to get the lead and have never worked with lead before. How did you melt it all down?

118lfd

Finished up today with new tires 16 7.50 8 4 plys and new heavy duty bearings. Installed the rims

2011-12-07150100.jpg

Then installed the weights

2011-12-07151501.jpg

Now ready for the snow we are not going to get this year (its been a warm fall)

I just refurbed the plow and added 2 link chains.

If it gets real bad I will put the tall chute blower on.

75lbs on each rear tire and 55 each on the fronts. For a total of 260lbs of additional weight.

2011-12-07151451.jpg

• Like 1

Hydro

They are very impressive. I love how they look. I have a turkey fryer and thought of using the propane base to melt the lead in the frying pan. Read your previous posts. Is it difficult to mount the rear weights without a centre hole?

Awesome job :greetings-clappingyellow:

118lfd

The rears are not too bad to mount. I use the bolts to hold it then try to line the holes up. Just don't get your fingers between the weight and anything. I leave them on all year. I will have to swap the fronts back to the 6 inch rims in the spring cause the 37 inch deck interferes with the larger front tires. If I could find a 42 rear discharge mower I would keep the fronts on. Or another tractor...

HorseFixer

My 520 has zert grease fittings on the outside of the deep dished rim, I was wanting to do this but what would you do in a case like that? :dunno:

~Duke