HorseFixer

LED Snow Cab Lights!

HorseFixer

Well technology has came a long way in a couple years! :thumbs2: I think I have proven with all my testing before that LED Lights are the way to go on these tractors because of the 15 to 20 amp charging systems they have. The reason lighting is so important to me is Many Times im plowing snow at 4:00 a.m. before work and By the time I get off work and get out the snow chucker its dark out. :D The 520's have better lights than the C series but by the time ya hang that blower out front yer blocking alot of light and it doesnt shine good where you need to see. The other thing is I live in the City With IDIOT KIDS and them little B@$!@&)S are always whippin around the corners well you get the picture. So I have been doing some grocery shopping and These lights have really come down in price the past couple years they are less than 1/2 of what they were a couple years back.

Lets look at useing two 55 watt Halogens... Amperage X Voltage = Wattage

So 2 X 55 =110.......... 110/12v = 9.1666666 Amps I tryed to 55W Halogens and they look like crap. It would be fine if they worked but they don't no Incandecent bulb can hold a candle To LED's a 1/3rd of the power.

So I just purchased (4) 24W LED Lights to put on Top Of the New Snow Chucker

4 X 24 = 96............... 96/12v = 8 Amps

Let me show you a really good video that shows the difference in lights a guy put on his 4X4 truck. Now keep in mind he has a pair of 15W LED Lights Totaling 30 Watts. I think you will be impressed with the difference. :banghead: Tell me what you think. I will show you the ones I got later. Sure am glad I dont have to make another set for this chucker :banghead:

Trouty56

Jeez Duke. That was 30 watts of light.....you will have 96 watts. That shot of the LED lights from a distance was blinding. You'll have enough light to ward off local vampires.... :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Big difference. Great comparison video.

HorseFixer

Well The company sent me an E-mail & asked what I wanted Flood Beam or Spot Beams and while in an E-Mail conversations I decided to Go with the 15 Watters :thumbs: But Im getting 6 of them for nearly the same price. :banghead: I will be putting 4 in front and two in back like I did on the Old Snow Chucker. 2 Lights will be Floods and two wild Be Spot Beams in Front. That will be 60w in front and 30w floods in the rear which should be plenty. :thumbs2: These lights are much better than the Home Made Jobbies I had before but two years ago I had to make um because of the cost! :ROTF:

With the 4 of the 24 watters up front and 2 15w in rear I would have been at 10.26 amps 1/2 of my 20 available on the 520. Now I will be at 6 X 1.13 = 6.78 the 3 amp savings will be enough to run my new LED Strobe! :thumbs: Wait till ya see that! WoW way brighter and more flashes than my other one by far! :thanks:

By saving those amps and being conservative I will be able to put in the Microwave and surround sound stereo! :banghead::D

~Duke

118lfd

You guys might want to look at these. We use them on the boats for fishing at night. .5 amps thats right 1/2 an amp per light and 85.00 each or 165.00 per pair. I have a set on my boat and let me tell you they put out more light than 55w halogens plus it is a more open light with no hot spots. They work great. If I get a cab its getting a set of these. I only think you would need a pair cause a pair lights up the back of my boat and about 100 square feet behind it.

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/styles-LEDspreaders.html

Pistures

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/pics.html

312Hydro

Great thread! I'm interested in the led lighting myself. Although the amps I save won't be put to use with an in-cab microwave! :thumbs2: those replacement headlights are just what I've been looking for,thanks for posting the link and the boat lights look great too. If you have some deep pockets,here's what the offroaders are going to-Led lights

HorseFixer

You guys might want to look at these. We use them on the boats for fishing at night. .5 amps thats right 1/2 an amp per light and 85.00 each or 165.00 per pair. I have a set on my boat and let me tell you they put out more light than 55w halogens plus it is a more open light with no hot spots.

Yep :thumbs2: Preach it Brother!! :banghead: Been sayin that for years now! most especially on our tractors when 15 to 20 amps is maxxing these Tractors out. It would take 8 55W Halogen to compare to my 4) 15Watters at 1.13 amps = 4.52 amps :D

Halogens 55w X 12v = 4.58 amps X 8 = 36 amps POOF their goes yer charging system!! Cheech -n- Chong up in SMOKE! :thanks:

The ones I got 6 of them cost 229.00 / 6 = $ 38.00 ea their Chiwanese but hey, all of them are anyways. :thumbs:

If the ones you are useing are .5 amps Then .5a X 12v = 6watts ea there is no secret formula... Amperage X voltage is wattage There is not an LED of the same wattage that pulls less than another. If your shopping lights you also need to look at the Lumens and color temp the ones I selected are 6500K and have 1350 Lumens ea. Lighting is measured in Lux and it takes a Lux meter to measure that and as you know I just so happen to have one :thumbs: when I did my tests 2 years ago. I cant wait to get these lights so I can get a reading for comparison. Yep LED is the only way to go. thanks for your links 118lfd cant see them from work but will ck em out when I get home! Deffinatley want to replace the front hood lights. :banghead:

~Duke

HorseFixer

Great thread! I'm interested in the led lighting myself. Although the amps I save won't be put to use with an in-cab microwave! :banghead: those replacement headlights are just what I've been looking for,thanks for posting the link and the boat lights look great too. If you have some deep pockets,here's what the offroaders are going to-Led lights

Yep, Same company that makes the 15W lights in the Video :D Can't get to the Links cause their blocked but can see its going To Rigids Site..... Hmm let me guess A Full width light bar say 48" wide full of LED's 240W for about $ 800.00 bucks :thumbs: Yeah I have seen them all, spent 12 hrs investigating lights till I made my decision :banghead: there is some nice stuff out there and as soon as American Company's get ahold of them from China the price quad drooples! <_< I can see making a profit but thats ridiculous. :thumbs2:

CasualObserver

I have to ask.... for the investment in those 15W individual units, why didn't you just go with a light bar for the front? (and maybe a smaller one for the back? Looks to me that for the money, you'd be farther ahead, and there would be less wiring.

HorseFixer

I have to ask.... for the investment in those 15W individual units, why didn't you just go with a light bar for the front? (and maybe a smaller one for the back? Looks to me that for the money, you'd be farther ahead, and there would be less wiring.

:thumbs2: Uhhhh...... (4) In Front (2) in Back for total of(6) lights X $38.00 ea is $229.00 How is that the same Money Value or Investment as $800.00 :banghead: Yeah the wiring would be a little nicer but not $600.0 worth :D Remember I don't live in Minnesota and make that kinda money! :banghead:

CasualObserver

Well then I need a little clarification... because the 15w floods and spots I see at the Rigid site are $109.99 each... and the small (GT worthy) light bars are only 299.99-399.99 Hopefully you can see my confusion.

118lfd

Duke Where did you get the lights you ordered from? Have any pics?

clintonnut

I just have my trusty factory headlights and maybe one cyclops light. I never use them because I prefer snow removal in the DAYTIME! Duke's neighborhood is going to look like there's a football game going on! :dunno:

Charlie

HorseFixer

Duke Where did you get the lights you ordered from? Have any pics?

Sorry guys overlooked yer replies to this. :thanks: I cannot post pictures Cause I cant go there from work cause they block fleebay, youtube, all the fun stuff :dunno: So I ran a search for 12V 15w Led Lights on Flee bay and here is the site. They sell Sanmak lighting is the brand, and they give the specs unlike many other sites that dont want to devulge the info. :help: You can also select other wattages on the side bar and see other auctions I purchased 6 for 229.00 / 6 = $38.16 ea. They look pretty good to me for the cost with the Lumen and 6500K bright white. Sorry for the late reply. :wh:

FLEE BAY 15 W LED LIGHTS

Cheers ~Duke

wheelhorse656

After leaving my computer for a few mins so i could see agian i went out to the gradge grabed my welding helmet and proceeded to finish watching the video!

HorseFixer

After leaving my computer for a few mins so i could see agian i went out to the gradge grabed my welding helmet and proceeded to finish watching the video!

Thats funny right there! :dunno:

Curmudgeon

Just to blow your mind, Kohler offered a 30amp charging system that drops into the K-series big blocks and twins, in place of the more common 15amp. Some of the items get pricey, but once I'm set up, I won't have to worry about such trivial matters anymore. Well, at least for a little while. :dunno:

HorseFixer

Just to blow your mind, Kohler offered a 30amp charging system that drops into the K-series big blocks and twins, in place of the more common 15amp. Some of the items get pricey, but once I'm set up, I won't have to worry about such trivial matters anymore. Well, at least for a little while. :thanks:

Dont get me wrong I love my Kohlers :dunno: but that extra 10 amps dont mean Jack Diddly when Yer In the Heat of Battle Chucking Snow. :help: You need Torque and The Onan Delivers, leaving the Kohler in the Dust. :wh:

Curmudgeon

Ah, but you forget, I don't run anything "stock". :dunno:

HorseFixer

Ah, but you forget, I don't run anything "stock". :dunno:

I know :thanks: Mines in the shop too! And while its in there my Engine Guru and I have been talkin about some tricks

ourselfs... :help: All I can say is Bring It! :wh: You and Bobbie are prolly about due for some of Dukes Famous

Steaks at the Duke "O" Minium. Besides yer probably Jonesin to get All Necked like ya did in the NEW 520 Snow Chucker like ya

did last time! :thanks: Yeah I know whith that Cab heat it gets aweful hot in there! :thanks:

Cheers ~Duke

Visit006.jpg

MalMac

After seeing that Pic. The cab on my tractor takes on a whole new perspective. Not sure it's a good one either.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

After seeing that Pic. The cab on my tractor takes on a whole new perspective. Not sure it's a good one either.

:dunno:

Curmudgeon

Uh oh, hadn't counted on you doing some massaging yourself. I have run the Onan, and it does make power, no doubt about that. It should, comparing 20hp to the 16hp I'd been using. Course, the 16 seemed all powerful when it replaced the 10hp before that.

Since horsepower is nothing but an equation, and neither the Onan nor the Kohler has a spike like a 2 cycle might, they can't be far from each other. Unless of course, one of them is rated to a horsepower limit as opposed to the actual brake horsepower.

I'd just like to get the Kohler twin up and running. Alas, that is going to take a while. Any head to head comparison is a long way off. That brings up yet another variable, I'll be running a different snowblower..... :dunno:

Some pictures just don't go away do they? :wh: