Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsenut69

i hate electrical

wheelhorsenut69

hi all just got the electro all converted to the new style c series finally boy i tell you that key switch business is a joke i never realized that those old switches where wired directly to the battery maybe that's why one original switch cost 50 bucks any way i figured since the wiring was trashed anyway i might as well convert that to the newer tractors two right! wrong the little box style "coil" on the shroud is for a points style ignition i wired a cheap 10$ switch into her and turned the key after learning it was a different style ignition my uncle a master electrician stopped by and re did the wires with me the funny thing was that the key don't kill the engine so being is that i got rid of the electric clutch and converted it to manual the pto switch in the dash became the kill switch :banghead: i still don't know what he did but i know when i re did my raider 12 that had the same switch and i paid 50 for it and kept it original. In short if you have the original coil" that is not round on your shroud it will not work with the 10 switch from napa unless you put in a ground or as he called it the switch that now grounds out the points any idea why this is on the old horses and not the new??????? help want to learn more about these funky old switches and coils??? :thumbs2: thanks to any one with some feed back . ~Amp ~ :banghead:

i'm not exactly sure what engines you are referring to , but it may be the fact that some engines have magnetos and some have a conventional battery/coil/ points ignition. the switch for a magneto is open to run , and closed to ground the primary side to stop it. a battery/coil/points system is basically the opposite

using some diodes and relays you can make just about anything work

Rjenson

If I am understanding this correctly this motor came out of an electro 12.. if that's right than this motor does not have your standard points setup.. it has the "breakerless" ignition with a trigger inside the shroud that rides on the flywheel along with the box style coil mounted to the outside of the shroud. And your right the original key switch is expensive but not nessesary.. you can use your standard briggs and stratton key switch that grounds out the coil when turned to the off position.. and yes the switch does wire to the battery..carfull not to send power to the magnito becouse you will fry the whole thing out and then it just got a lot more expensive.. I use this motor in one of my tractors and I think I spent 14 bucks on the key switch..