Sign in to follow this  
Mykol610

Battery placement...

Mykol610

I have an older 1057 I just recently placed a 13HP Predator motor into from Harbor Freight. I took out the battery tray and a couple other parts to make it fit how I thought would look good. The only problem is now there's a gaping space in front of the motor where something :thumbs2: looks like it should go. 676A0207.jpg Well, the battery fits there but with only about a 1/4 inch from the motor. :banghead: I'm wondering, it's mostly only going to be running in the winter. Would the motor get too hot for the battery, or could the battery (Duralast Farm and Garden) be mounted sideways to not be so close to the motor?

When I get home in the morning, I'll place the battery in the positions I'm thinking of and see what everyone thinks.

If I don't put it under to hood, I'm thinking of cutting the seat supports slightly to fit the battery under the seat.

Martin

if it was me, i would have mounted the engine as far forward as possible and then tried to fit a standard (smaller than 1057 size) lawn and garden battery between the engine and steering gear. looks like you may be able to get a standard one there, maybe remount the ignition assembly a little higher or maybe it would be ok with the battery posts rearward. the 1057s normally have a larger battery in this position and in the front there normally is a bit of extra room. with the extra bulk of this engine at the front it would be tight, but the grille angles out as it goes up and you have a recess to work with if its wide enough for the engine to fit between.

the original 1057 battery tray is bigger than a standard size lawn and garden battery so using a smaller tray in the standard position might have been ok.

in the pic it looks like the weight of the engine is a lot further back than the k241 would have been. which means you have lightened up the front some. not sure whether this is a good thing.........

to answer your question about battery clearance. 1/4 isnt much, but would be ok i guess as long as its not near exhaust. the standard 1057 battery is fairly tight to the back of the k241 to begin with.....

but i would be thinking about getting the engine forward and the battery behind the engine......just my 2 cents. :thumbs2:

illinilefttackle

I have an older 1057 I just recently placed a 13HP Predator motor into from Harbor Freight. I took out the battery tray and a couple other parts to make it fit how I thought would look good. The only problem is now there's a gaping space in front of the motor where something :banghead: looks like it should go. 676A0207.jpg Well, the battery fits there but with only about a 1/4 inch from the motor. :banghead: I'm wondering, it's mostly only going to be running in the winter. Would the motor get too hot for the battery, or could the battery (Duralast Farm and Garden) be mounted sideways to not be so close to the motor?

When I get home in the morning, I'll place the battery in the positions I'm thinking of and see what everyone thinks.

If I don't put it under to hood, I'm thinking of cutting the seat supports slightly to fit the battery under the seat.

With that much horsepower in that relatively light tractor-you will be needing more weight up front anyway-if it was me-thats where I'd put the battery-Thanks-Al :thumbs2:

Martin

just looked up this engine.................

looks like you could move or even relocate the ignition starter assembly. one other thing i would be looking at is the exhaust. is the muffler able to rotate? looks like at the moment it exits to the front of the tractor, straight at the grill. maybe some fab is needed or it could be a simple fix.

also that engine has a 'shipping' weight of only 87 lbs, i think the k series are considerably heavier and with more hp and less weight up front where it was originally, i think i would definitely be reconsidering moving that engine as far forward as possible. looks like you only just have it mounted, so now is the time to do it, not later after considerable more work such as belt drive, guard, wiring etc etc has been completed.

Mykol610

And for what it accounts for, I don't think the motor I took out was an origional. What I took out was a Kohler K181 8 horse. So I don't know if the battery is the same size as a origional. I don't have the measurements off hand but it was about identical to the battery as is in the B82 I have. In terms of weight, I'm going to have a plow on the front too, for what that accounts for.

Maybe I will play around with it and see if I can get it forward more. I'm thinking I tried before but there was not quite enough room for the battery tray (which I've also taken out). But I'll see if I can get it "tucked" in the front of the hood and see how that works out. Origionaly I was just thinking to get the electric start close to the seat...

The exhaust does come straight forward into the grill... It doesn't even have a "muffler", unless it's somehow internal. There's nothing exiting it at all. I'm not sure what I might need to take off to get it off the side or anything. But it's another thing to look at when I get home.

I don't know exactly. I had a good idea but it's getting a little more involved than I origionally thought. But I'll get it... I better get it situated for winter. I'm having a pain in the :thumbs2::banghead: time to get the pulley off the K181. I've got all the screws/bolts out that I can think of but even with a 3 jaw puller it's still not coming off....

Martin

And for what it accounts for, I don't think the motor I took out was an origional. What I took out was a Kohler K181 8 horse. So I don't know if the battery is the same size as a origional. I don't have the measurements off hand but it was about identical to the battery as is in the B82 I have. In terms of weight, I'm going to have a plow on the front too, for what that accounts for.

Maybe I will play around with it and see if I can get it forward more. I'm thinking I tried before but there was not quite enough room for the battery tray (which I've also taken out). But I'll see if I can get it "tucked" in the front of the hood and see how that works out. Origionaly I was just thinking to get the electric start close to the seat...

The exhaust does come straight forward into the grill... It doesn't even have a "muffler", unless it's somehow internal. There's nothing exiting it at all. I'm not sure what I might need to take off to get it off the side or anything. But it's another thing to look at when I get home.

I don't know exactly. I had a good idea but it's getting a little more involved than I origionally thought. But I'll get it... I better get it situated for winter.

Juggler

I'd build a metal weight box to fit that specific space. Then fill the box with molten lead. Lotsa weight up front.