Sign in to follow this  
Raider

Raider9 repair and rehab part one

linen beige

Very nice work! Even opened up it would take a well trained eye to tell that isn't factory.

hudog

Raider:

Your Raider restoration looks great. I'm going to start a restoration this winter on a Raider 10 I picked up recently.

Can you comment on what you've learned for getting the body / sheet metal ready for painting (removing surface rust techniques, degreasing, tools/products you've used you think well, etc).

thanks,

George

Raider

Thankyou guys :banghead:

I've been using a citrus degreaser (Rubbermaid brand in gallon jugs), a spray bottle and a couple of different stiff brushes to clean up anything greasy and dirty. Then wash it all with soapy water and let it dry and then spray it all down with brake parts cleaner. If rust is present I've been hitting it with a wire wheel or flap disk in a 4.5" grinder and smooth it out with a 6" random orbit sander or sanding sponge where the sander won't work. I've been priming and painting mostly with a cheap HVLP gun except for little things I've spray canned including putting prmer on repairs to keep surface rust away untill I can properly paint the part.

I am by no means restoring this tractor to perfect condition. I am using it while I work on it and plan to continue to use it after I'm done fixing it up. Snow will be here soon enough and I've got to get the blower freshened up!

Raider

I did get the snowblower repaired and running just in time for snow. I replaced the driveshaft bearings, drive shaft sprocket and one idler sprocket. I had to repair the lift tube also as it had been shortened evidently. While working on that I made up a lift assist spring setup that is definately helping but could be improved. Here she is after the blowing away the first snow of this Winter. I changed out the tires for a set of older Carlisles on 6" rims. I made up a pair of concrete wheel weights that are 50-60 lbs each. I also had a set of chains made for the 6" tires that have alternating v-bar cross chains. I don't need the chains in the driveway but will need them when we start building the bobsled run in the back yard. :hide:

wh35.JPG

HorseFixer

Good Job looks like ya got enough weight to get the job done! :hide:

COMB2

I bet those sawhorses get up on plane quick :hide:

Duff

I bet those sawhorses get up on plane quick :party:

:D:party::hide::party::omg:B):omg::D:D

Duff :hide:

Raider

Thanks fellas. The tractor is working well for me. I used it to distribute over 20 yards of topsoil with my wagon when I redid the lawn this Summer. With those tires and weights I could back the cart full of dirt up a hill without spinning a tire. This is a working tractor and so it will probably never get restored perfectly but that's fine with me as long as it works well and looks good. I will likely paint the sheetmetal this Spring.

And yes the sawhorses are fast but not nearly as fast as my 20' Allison with 2.4L Merc :hide:

Duff

And yes the sawhorses are fast but not nearly as fast as my 20' Allison with 2.4L Merc

KyBlue

Nice progress - and your doing a fine job so far! :hide: