Sign in to follow this  
Raider

Raider9 repair and rehab part one

Raider

Since I couldn't live with the cracked steel on my new Raider I took it apart soon after bringing it home. The upright that holds the lift lever was cracked through and the drive belt cover mount was broken off at the engine. I cut out and welded a new bracket for the drive cover out of some thicker steel. I welded up the crack on the upright and added a thin support behind it since this looks like a stressed area on the manual lift Raider. After cleanup you can't tell anything was fixed. 'While we are at it' came up and I spent a long time cleaning, degreasing and prepping the frame for paint and then shot it with primer and Valspar. I am not going to get into the engine yet because it's easy enough to pull off and deal with later. Same for the hood and fenders, I'd rather have the tractor operational again before pulling the tin and making it pretty. I just figured there is no sense in taking it all apart this far again for paint when I had to do it once for repairs. So here are a few pics of the tractor being put back together. The belt cover and footrests are still hanging up but I'll get a pic of the new bracket I made when the cover is installed. I have a couple questions below.

wh18.JPG

wh19.JPG

wh20.JPG

1: I had the front wheels off and one side hade more thin shims (?) than the other. How should the spindle and wheel be assembled?

2: The tie rods look different from one another. One has toe adjustment on it the other does not. Which is correct?

3: I need a new lift cable for the rear hitch before I can put this thing back together. I also need a brake band and would like a new headlight lense. I may need more in the future. I was looking at "Jack's Small Engines" from the links page here on RedSquare and they had everything I needed. I am hesitant to deal with an internet business without a good referral or two. Has anyone dealt with Jack's and if so how did it go? I found some of the stuff on ebay also but that is not always a dependable source for parts IMO.

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, thanks for looking! I'll get some more pictures as I progress.

BairleaFarm

Looks good and sounds like you have a plan with your future paint plans

perry

post your wants in the wanted section here at the club.

ebay is a good source for parts allso.

thats a nice lookin raider :whistle:

linen beige

Looks like you're moving right along!

I've dealt with Jack's Small Engines. Quality parts, decent prices, and pretty quick on the shipping. E-bay can be be a good source if you KNOW what you're looking for/bidding on. The feedback ratings can be a good guide if you sort of scan over the more generic ratings and scrutinize the more detailed ratings.

I'll second Perry's suggestion that you post your wants/needs here. The stuff you need may be all around you, but you won't know if you don't ask.

Duff

I was looking at "Jack's Small Engines" from the links page here on RedSquare and they had everything I needed. I am hesitant to deal with an internet business without a good referral or two. Has anyone dealt with Jack's and if so how did it go?

I've done a ton of business with Jack's and have nothing but great things to say about them - price, parts availability, promptness of shipping, accuracy in filling my orders - you name it! :WRS: I am particularly pleased with the way their parts ordering system shows current availability and updated/substituted part numbers when OEM's are no longer available or there is a choice.

Out of probably fifty or sixty parts, I've only had one item backordered and that came only two days behind the rest - shipping prepaid!

Deereman :whistle:

GlenPettit

The lift cable is something you can easily make yourself; make the front loop & crimp, feed thru the tube, then crimp on the ferral(s) (double is best), $3 vs $25.

Glen

CasualObserver

Jack's is quick and painless... and they handle returns smoothly (if you need to for some reason) :whistle:

hodge

Raider,

Once apon a time, I bought a basket case Raider 9 for parts. I needed the rear end for my B-80. I still have front tires, a starter, fuel pump, gas tank, tie rods, carb, front spindles, a front axle (I think), and a set of rear tires from it. If any of these are needs for yours, let me know. While I will probably keep the back tires and tie rods, the engine parts and front tires aren't doing me much good. :whistle:

hodge

Oh, I also have the hood.

Teddy da Bear

I've dealt with Jack's Small Engines

I have a Jack's Small Engines near me in Berrien Springs.

Is this the same guy???

I found him to be ohhhhhh so expensive compared to other

places I found parts.

Kelly

That tractor is looking good, and yes post what you need, or want in the wanted section. I have a few parts that will fit that also.

T-Mo

Is this the same guy???

places I found parts.

I'm sure this is the Jack's Small Engines that is mentioned in this thread:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html

Raider

Wow! Thanks for all the support and advise on this one. I'm going to check out Jack's I think for the small parts I need and there are some less urgent things I'd like to get replaced later that I might be asking for from you folks in the future. Thanks for coming forward with the advise and letting me know of the parts you guys have saved up that might work for me. I really appreciate it, RedSquare people are great!

Duff

I'm sure this is the Jack's Small Engines that is mentioned in this thread:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html

JD Terry is right with the link he's posted. The Jack's I use is in Maryland, not Michigan. Good outfit.......

Cheers!

Deereman :whistle:

Raider

I ended up ordering a bunch of little parts from Jacks and am waiting for them to be shipped. I need the lift cable to get here before I can put anything back together. I've been cleaning up and prepping everything for paint in the mean time. Everything but the engine, hood and rear fender is now painted. My garage is a real headknocker now with all the parts hanging to cure. I need to find decals for the hood and fender if I'm going to paint them. I've seen a lot of different ones for sale but none that are like mine exactly. Any ideas where I can get them? The hood tower decal is wierd on mine, it only said Raider and there was no '9'. I'd like to get those decals new also and thought I might put an 'X' on it rather than '9' since I'm not sure I'll stick with the Tecumseh engine in the future. Which Kohler models will fit my tractor?

Raider

Anyone know where I can get these decals??

wh21.JPG

wh22.JPG

HorseFixer

Is this the same guy???

places I found parts.

Not the same guy mike, if you are reffering to Mr. Small enigine across from the damn in Berrien Springs. His name is John!

Duke

CasualObserver

Raider, at the top of the Wheel Horse Tractors section of the forum, there are three "sticky" topics ("sticky" means they always stay on top.) One of the topics is our collaborative collection of Links to useful places and things. There is a section for Decals.... check with any of those places, they all do fabulous work.

Shortcut to LINKS

Raider

Yes, I've checked those out and couldn't find any exact decals for the Raider 9, although one of them had Raider 10 decals that would work if he could change the 10 to a 9 or leave it off altogether.

I received my parts from Jack's and got back to putting the tractor together. Now it's starting to look like something. I can't for the life of me remember where the piece sitting on the back tire belongs, I think it might be under the shift levers but there are two extra holes on the peice if that's the case. I tried to look up the diagram on the Toro parts viewer but that thing says "picture currently unavailable" more times than not. There are some bad connections and worn through insulation on the wiring harness so I need to make some repairs there. I think it is coming together nicely so far.

wh23.JPG

Buzz

I can't for the life of me remember where the piece sitting on the back tire belongs, I think it might be under the shift levers but there are two extra holes on the peice if that's the case. I tried to look up the diagram on the Toro parts viewer but that thing says "picture currently unavailable" more times than not.

You sometimes have better luck finding parts breakdown on the Parts Tree site:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mh=8

When the link opens, type in Raider 9 under toro consumer

We have the manual for download in the first manuals group. You have to join to download it. It's in the files section.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/

Good luck and have fun.........

kpinnc

Anyone know where I can get these decals??

Raider,

Norm's Toys (website by the same name) carries the hood decals, and Mayhew carries the rest BUT I think Vinylguy52 also carries the complete set.

Vinylguy's decals are top notch, and you won't have to wait for 6 months to get them...

Kevin

combatmp29r

Raider, I have to second Kevins coment on Vynleguys decals. If he doesn't have a Raider 9 set he will make one up for you. Has even made quite a few custom sets for those of us on here that build custom tractors. B) :horseplay:

TT

Here's an IPL image showing the location of the dust shield:

dustshield.jpg

I used Parts Tree instead of the Toro MPV to see the IPL's.

Raider

Thanks you guys all of the info is helping alot!

Raider

I've been poking along with the tractor this Summer and using it for hauling a wagon around the yard. The rear fender had been repaired some time with a stick welder it looks like. Looks like the fender broke loose from the hinge bracket and was welded back on. This repair didn't last and the fender is warped and has holes in it from the welder. Rather than try to shrink the steel and then re-weld the fender I chose to reinforce the hinge bracket and bolt the fender to it. I used 1-1/4 square tube for the new parts and welded them to the hinge. This modification squared up my fenders nicely and stiffened them significantly. Best of all it can't be seen unless I open the fender up. I'd like to repair or conceal the remaining damage to the fender from the last repair. More paint to come too hopefully before it gets too cold.

wh31.jpg

wh32.jpg

wh33.jpg

I put on a drawbar type hitch for now so I can pull the wagon around but will put the original hitch back once I get my other tractor (B-100) going.