Sign in to follow this  
spark949

520h stator check. Marginally charging

spark949

89 520h 20hp Onan....Does anyone know which two wires on the rectifier are the ones I would check for stator output voltage? My meter shows about 12 volts(right at the yellow/green mark). Battery shows 12.25 running. Meter goes into the red with the lights on. I haven't cleaned the plugs or terminals yet. I'd like to start at checking stator voltage. any other tips would be well appreciated. Thanks

Fred.

Hey Stevebo, relative in the paper the other day?

spark949

Well thanks for all the replies. I did finally find an answer in some old posts. I checked the rectifier, stator read good, in the range specified in the manual, but the DC output is 19 volts. New rectifier time I guess. I do wonder why the dash meter reads low output though.

It must be me, but the search function leaves a little to be desired. I wish it would take three letter words.

can whlvr

dont have a 520 but i would really check out the ground,on my kohler 16 hp k i had to put a wire from the rectifier to direct ground,it solved my charging issues,and ya the search can be challanging if you cant find the right word to input

spark949

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It seems odd to me that the R/R is putting out 19v to the battery but the dash ammeter is showing low voltage. I just got this tractor, got a great deal on it, but it has a few problems. Haven't had too much time to fool with it. I work too much.

bigd

dont put any faith in the tractors gauge it common for them to be inaccurate

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

It must be me, but the search function leaves a little to be desired. I wish it would take three letter words.

Another board I'm on accepts words shorter than 4 letters if you put them in quotes such as "gas" "oil" "gas oil" etc etc. I don't know if this board does or not. As I think about it, I could have checked quicker in the the time it took me to type this message. You seemed so disappointed that you had not received any replies, I guess I was just in a hurry to get a reply to you. Now that I have accomplished this I guess I'm too lazy to go check that function now. Rest assured that in the event I someday check, I'll be sure to let you know a.s.a.p. :thumbs2:

8993-520

Another board I'm on accepts words shorter than 4 letters if you put them in quotes such as "gas" "oil" "gas oil" etc etc. I don't know if this board does or not. As I think about it, I could have checked quicker in the the time it took me to type this message. You seemed so disappointed that you had not received any replies, I guess I was just in a hurry to get a reply to you. Now that I have accomplished this I guess I'm too lazy to go check that function now. Rest assured that in the event I someday check, I'll be sure to let you know a.s.a.p.

I just checked and umm yep your an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAM58

89 520h 20hp Onan....Does anyone know which two wires on the rectifier are the ones I would check for stator output voltage? My meter shows about 12 volts(right at the yellow/green mark). Battery shows 12.25 running. Meter goes into the red with the lights on. I haven't cleaned the plugs or terminals yet. I'd like to start at checking stator voltage. any other tips would be well appreciated. Thanks

Fred.

Hey Stevebo, relative in the paper the other day?

8993-520

Do you have a manual with the detailed wiriag diagram?? :banghead:

if not send me an e-mail and you can find what you are looking for. :banghead:

Sam.Pelphrey@nov.com

:thumbs2:

spark949
89 520h

spark949

I found the culprit, the fuse, damn I feel dumb. I pulled it first thing and it looked good. But today when I was cleaning the connections and checking continuity as I went, the fuse turned up open.

But onto another problem, when I turn the lights on it really drains the system. I'll charge the battery because it was running off the battery for the last two weeks and it could be low. After that I'll see if it drains the system. My tail lights don't work, no power to them, but I haven't started on running that down yet. The PO disabled all the safety switches. I have to look at them all now to see what he did.

smoreau

The PO disabled all the safety switches. I have to look at them all now to see what he did.

Shuzbot! I hate fixing something that has been messed with by someone who didn't know what they were doing!

Sparky

Interesting thread. The 16 ONAN in my 416 seems to sending to much juice to the battery. I haven't used it all summer because of this issue and dont remember exactly what my readings were, but it was something like 17-19 volts at the battery when running. By turning on the headlights it was lower but still high. I just snagged a R/R off Joes Outdoor power thru Ebay that came off a 416. I hope it just needs the R/R swapped out.

Mike..........