Sign in to follow this  
kadetklapp

Bought a Horse tonight! 1984 WorkHorse 1800

kadetklapp

I've done something terrible, I'm afraid. I bought an addicting Wheel Horse tractor after years of closet admiration... :D

The jist of it is, I bought a brand new John Deere 145 Automatic in 2007 when I had several acres to mow. I sold the mower when I bought a house on a smaller lot. I ended up getting a Troy Bilt 42" crap-mobile for free. I managed to murder it last week by driving up on a pile of stones and frustratingly rocking it back and forth. So, I needed a mower. :woohoo:

A divorcing couple down the street I heard had a "Wheel Horse for sale" so I checked it out. Turns out it's a Work Horse GT 1800. Price? $100 USD. :D

So I hauled it home this evening, and have not heard it run yet. The motor is free, of that I am sure. The armature on the starter is completely stripped out. Also, they lost the keys to it :P

So, tomorrow I'm going to the local auto-electric shop and having the starter repaired and I'll be hunting around NAPA for a new ignition switch.

Some observations-

This tractor does not have "low range" so I'm kind of disappointed. I'm hoping it will still be able to plow snow and so forth.

The steering wheel is sloppy. I've isolated it to where the wheel shaft meets the big gear under the battery and goes forward. Is this a common failure point? It's really flimsy.

The levers are all very sloppy. Is this just because it's wore out, or can I adjust these or replace some bushings?

Also, the transaxle fluid is a bit low. Does this thing take regular ATF? Mercon? Dexron? Gear oil?

And finally a couple of pics-

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

:ROTF:

Sparky

The tranny should be just regular 10w-30 motor oil. Do you still have the busted tractor? I bet the key from it will fit the Wheel Horse.

Congrats!!!

:woohoo:

Mike.........

kadetklapp

The tranny should be just regular 10w-30 motor oil. Do you still have the busted tractor? I bet the key from it will fit the Wheel Horse.

Congrats!!!

Mike.........

Thank you, Mike. I didn't think to try the other key. The PO said that he didn't think the ignition switch was "any good" anyway, but I'll give it a try.

I desperately need a seat, preferably one with folding arm rests like my Deere had. Due to the hills I'm mowing the armrests are almost essential to hold my fat butt in. Any acceptable replacements that aren't yellow out there? LOL.

MikesRJ

Kelly

A new starter drive gear can be had at most small engine shops, the key should fit from the troy built, and maybe even the ign. switch I'm thinking the troy was a briggs powered machine, with a mag. ign. but you would need to check for sure, even if the plug is the same the switch can be diff. and you did very well for the money the 48" deck looks to be in good shape.

And the trans is a Eaton 1100 it's very heavy duty, I plow with one all winter in my 520.

Shuboxlover

WOW!!!! You stole it!!!!!!! :D:ROTF::D

If you figure out what's wrong with the steering, I have all the parts to fix it, just let me know. :woohoo:

kadetklapp

Thanks guys. What is the gt 1800 equivalent to compared to a Wheel Horse?

JimD

bigd

Thanks guys. What is the gt 1800 equivalent to compared to a Wheel Horse?

the equivalent for that wheelhorse would be any of the big twin hydros c175 416 518 520 probly a few im missing

mavfreak

kadetklapp

Thanks again for the info fellas.

I dropped the starter off this morning. It tested good, just the armature gear needs replaced. The problem evidently was the solenoid, which looks new, so I'm not sure if it was replaced AFTER the armature was destroyed or if I need to get another new one. I think I should remove it and have it checked.

The key from my '02 Troy Bilt doesn't fit. It's really big compared to what the Horse should have. I'm told I can get a new key at Big R, but I hate to buy a key only to find out the switch is bad. It's pretty ratty.

Fuel line is cracked pretty bad and hard as a rock. I'm going to need to get some tubing and replace it before I end up with a mess.

I've got a left front wheel sort of aiming the wrong direction. My guess is worn tie-rod or tie-rod out of adjustment. I think I'll need to order new ones.

CasualObserver

kadetklapp

When it comes to this 1980s series of GT tractors, are tie-rods the same across the board? I'm an EBay addict, I will admit, and I'm finding some "deals" on Wheel Horse tie rods for around $40 new. However, it seems most of the part numbers are Toro PNs, which I'm not sure how to cross-reference with an early 80s WorkHorse 1800.

Also, is there a model break-down of the WorkHorse line by model number?

earlleecliffton

shorts

312Hydro

HorseFixer

:P :D

And nice looking Tractor, good luck with it. :woohoo:

Cheers ~Duke :D

W9JAB

W9JAB

kadetklapp

:D

A fellow amateur radio operator! :ROTF::woohoo:

KC9TKN here.

SALTYWRIGHT

W1RGW HERE. :woohoo:

kadetklapp

And another!

AMC RULES

:ROTF: Wife says, I'm all ham here, sadly no radio to operate though. :woohoo: Nice looking GT you scored there. :D

kadetklapp

Well I'm $150 into parts so far, including new coil, starter, solenoid etc and it still won't run...

HorseFixer

Well I'm $150 into parts so far, including new coil, starter, solenoid etc and it still won't run...

Does it have spark? :D Tell us what you have tried :woohoo:

Cheers ~Duke