Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

C Series with No Fuel Pump

MaineDad

Has anyone with an older C series with the gas tank in front of the steering wheel tried to go without a fuel pump and let gravity do the work? If there are no inclines to worry about I think it could be done. You see a lot of the old Cubs doing it and using a billet cover on the fuel pump inlet.

Thoughts?

pfrederi

A friend had a B80 with a replacement Kohler Service motor no fuel pump on it. Worked fine.

My L-107 with original gravity feed is a heck of a lot more reliable (and cheaper) than any Kohler fuel pump system. Never had a problem with it starving for gas even on hills.

MaineDad

Thanks Paul - I think so too. Since the gas tank is higher than the carb, I may give it a try...

squonk

If it doesn't work ok, and I know my C 160 and 704 won't, Brian Miller's page discusses what electric pumps you can use.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm

Sparky

Can that style fuel tank be raised at all without hitting the hood? I would probably try to get the most height out of it as possible.

Mike......

Robbie C.

my son's c81 puller run's fine without a fuel pump it now has a 301, and yes thats on hills also not just a flat track :woohoo:

Don1977

It will work, but you may run out of gas before the tank is empty. A 12 HP is a lot taller than an 8 HP.

littleredrider

I don't think I have a side shot of the ranger, but the outlet for the gas tank isn't much higher than the inlet for the carb. When it runs out, it's out.