Sign in to follow this  
Scott(MO)

Wiring Diagram for Commando 8 3 Speed

Scott(MO)

Hello,

My son is working on a 1970's (?) Commando 8 3 speed with a 12 HP Briggs and Stratton engine for his FFA project. The original motor was taken out years ago and we found a replacement last night, but we need a wiring diagram.

Also, some of the pulleys on the tractor are there and some are not, if anyone has a layout of how the drive belt going to the rear end should layout with the pullleys, that would be great. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the Briggs vertical shaft wheelhorses from that era that I find. The Model# (as best as I can tell) is: #1 4851.

I really like this website. A lot of neat ideas. I never worked on Garden Tractors as far as restoration goes. I always worked on Farm Tractors. But I can see why someone would enjoy it. The wheel horse is a neat little tractor.

Thanks

Scott

MikesRJ

Here's the manual for the 1968 1-4831, wiring should be the same.

By the way, the model number 1-4851 is a 1970 Commando V8. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of that particular manual.

Model #: 1-4851, Model Year: 1970, Model Name: Commando V8, Speeds: 4-Speed, Engine HP: 8, engine Model/Spec: KV181S-37116B, Transmission Model#: 5066

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...do-8_1-4831.pdf

Save Old Iron

Hey Scott

:hide:

Commando 8 (horizontal engine w/ starter generator) getting a Briggs 12 Hp (vertical engine with starter and stator charge system) ???

Since I am the patron Saint FUBAR for electrical issues, I can help you with the electrics,

but,

how are you going to get the vertical Briggs engine to power the chassis designed for a horizontal engine ?

rmaynard

how are you going to get the vertical Briggs engine to power the chassis designed for a horizontal engine ?

1-4851 is a vertical machine.

Scott(MO)

Save Old Iron,

This lawn mower is a vertical shaft engine. It belonged to my wife's Grandparents. I used it for a while when my wife and I were first married (20+ years ago). I kept having deck problems, So the Briggs motor was pulled and put into a Snapper rear mount mower. When we bought a new mower, the Briggs was put into a log splitter I built and ran for a number of years and finally replaced by a vertical shaft Kohler out of a 90's craftsman rider.

I don't know a lot about wheelhorse. All I can give you is model number 1-4851(which I will check again because my eyesight isn't so good) and what it says on the side of the mower: Commando 8 and below that it says 3 speed which is obviously for the 3 speed transaxle.

I listed earlier that it had a 12 h.p. B & S, but more than likely it was a 8 H.P. B&S, but it was definatley vertical shaft. Last night, my son and I went and purchased a 12 H.P. B&S from a guy who took it out of a 90's Craftsman Mower. It dropped right in except 1 of the 4 mounting bolts was off and will have to be redrilledAlso, the 1 inch shaft going through the bottom of the frame is extemely close to the steering shaft which I think it was on the other B&S.

I guess in all reality, I need a wiring diagram from the Craftsman mower more than I do from the WheelHorse as it relates to the motor better.

This project is going to be a Heinz 57 project. It sat in the weeds for the past 20 years. The deck is shot, and a few other pieces were bad. The Foot rests which were full foot rests welded to the frame had problems. So today, my son cut them off and will be replacing them with the old style 60's foot pegs. The sheetmetal for the seat and fenders will be replaced with an older pan style seat and spring with the fenders resembling something from a D200 Wheelhorse. He will keep and use the frame,transaxle and dash/hood.

If I get a chance, I will send some pics of were he is at on it. Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it.

Scott

Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron,

This lawn mower is a vertical shaft engine.

Excellent,

biggest issue gone. Pardon my vertically challenged ignorance. It takes second place only to increasing gravitational challenges I'm developing in my old age !!

Let's take a quick look a the "major electrical functions" we need to address.

Starter - do you have a functioning starter solenoid in the chassis ?

Ignition - coil based or magneto ? If magneto, Trace back the kill wire from the magneto assembly and label it KILL

Charge your battery, get the engine cranking (and with fuel delivery being OK and all else mechanical being functional) - you now have a running engine.

To stop your running engine, GROUND the kill wire - NEVER apply 12 volts to it or you will fry the magneto coil.

Charging System - Briggs has many different styles and capacities. Sometimes the charge system can be identified by the shape and color of the electrical connector into the charge system - if the connector is original and still on the engine.

If you have an electrical PTO on the tractor, verify you have a substantial charge system on the replacement engine. A lesser 3 amp charge stator will not run a tractor with an electrical PTO.

A visual ID of the stator on the replacement engine will give us a clue where to begin with the charge system.

Save Old Iron

from the Briggs site

www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/.../alternator_replacement.pdf

(cut and paste into your browser or search for "ENGINE ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT GUIDE Briggs") - well worth the time to download.

download for the various charge systems present on Briggs engines.

It might help to identify what charge system is on your replacement engine.

:hide: