Sign in to follow this  
jachady

C-125 Custom

jachady

So I've been on Redsquare for quite awhile, lurking, reading, learning, buying and selling parts and drooling over the nice tractors some of you have. I've always wanted to do one of mine up real nice but I never have the money because I go and buy another tractor. But now I'm kind of being forced to fix up my C-125.

Here's the story.

I use my C-125 to run a very small garden tilling business. Usually I do between 15-20 gardens every spring, but this year I had two jobs that required tilling over a half an acre. One of them was on a hill. While trying to till it up real nice I turned and faced downhill. I started tilling, then the tractor just took off. I looked down and it had popped out of low range. So I back up and try again, it does the same thing. Only this time I can't get it back into low. I was just barely able to force it into high. So I finished my job and loaded up.

I get the tractor home and try working the Hi-Low lever to get it to move, nothing. So I decide to check my gear lube (I don't have a shift boot) and of course it comes out like chocolate milk. These things are built so well I don't think that was the problem, so I did some reading on here and figure I must have bent the shift fork. So, it's going to have to come apart anyway might as well make it look nicer.

I'll get some in progress pics up later. I did say it was going to be custom so you Wheel Horse diehards might have to turn a blind eye.

Tractor in question: (the one on the right)

th_DSC00563.jpg

Inspiration: (also the truck that hauls the tractor to my jobs)

th_IMG00274.jpg

John

312Hydro

Kudos for using your :WRS: for tilling at a profit. Yep, that's kinda how it started with me . I was just looking for info and then got caught up in the great attitude this forum has for :) . Good luck on your build and I know the information is here for whatever you need. BTW, I like custom, you should see the builds in this thread. I wouldn't be surprised to find an aerospace engineer building a Space Horse :hide:

jachady

So in the last 5 days I've gotten a fair share done. It's difficult with my job (I'm a car salesman) so I work alot of hours. Then to top it off I work out of a small 12' x 16' shed with no power other than one 12v light powered by solar panels.

th_IMG00293.jpg

But I got the tins off the tractor in one night. These are going to get an automotive quality paintjob. My brother in law owns his own body shop, so he'll make sure they come out perfect.

th_IMG00289.jpg

The next day I stripped the tractor down so it would be easy to paint the chassis as a whole. I'm not going for perfection underneath since it is a hardworking tractor. Plus, if I scrape it or chip up the paint I can touch it up with rattle can.

th_IMG00288.jpg

th_IMG00287.jpg

th_IMG00276.jpg

This is my year and a half old son. A tractor afficianado himself. He now has a 416-H as his tractor. If you don't believe me just ask him and he'll point it out.

th_IMG00294.jpg

Saturday, I get the transmission apart and start looking to find out exactly what my issue is. Of course, it turns out the Hi-Low shift fork is broke. Wheel Horse did a real poor job of welding this piece orignally. I took it out and rewelded it. It's not pretty but I can tell I got good heat in it and I don't think it's going to break again.

th_IMG00285.jpg

th_IMG00286.jpg

th_IMG00291.jpg

th_IMG00290.jpg

On Sunday, I put the trans back together and then made the tractor a roller again. That will make it alot easier to get to the paint shop.

th_IMG00295.jpg

th_IMG00298.jpg

th_IMG00297.jpg

Today, I got the foot pads sandblasted and ready for spray-in bedliner material. I also got the entire tractor degreased and pressure washed. I also ordered some of the decals and talked with "redoyourhorse" about doing some custom C125 decals for me.

I thought the rebuild process on the trans was going to take lot longer so I didn't put the painting as a high priority. But now I want to keep bugging him until he gets the parts done. I hate not being in control.

Oh well, I update again as it progresses.

John

jachady

Decals showed up today!!! Got them from redoyourhorse, they look awesome. Still waiting for the custom ones to get done.

Chassis is painted, just one final coat to go.

Pics coming soon.

jachady

The project has been progressing pretty good. My brother in law picked up the tins to get painted. The footpads came back from the shop and look awesome, they should hold up better than the grip tape.

th_IMG00329.jpg

I ended up fixing a couple small things on the engine. The coil mount had cracked through so I welded it up. And I finally got a flywheel screen. I got her all painted up in gloss black and applied the decals. It turned out great.

th_IMG00325.jpg

th_IMG00326.jpg

I pressure washed the chassis and smoothed out some of the rough areas. Remember I am using this tractor for a business so it doesn't have to be perfect. I ended up using Rust-Oleum Semi-gloss on the chassis and Gloss on the tower and engine. I figure it will be easier to touch up the semi-gloss in the future.

th_IMG00333.jpg

The culprit for this project.

th_IMG00330.jpg

th_IMG00327.jpg

I started highlighting the dash and then got bored with it so I'll have to finish that in stages.

th_IMG00331.jpg

Got the motor put back on. Had a guy drive by and eyeball it up while it was sitting alone in my driveway. I wanted to make sure it stayed mine.

th_IMG00334.jpg

In this pic you can see where I went back and resanded the tower, I want this to look as good as the professioanlly painted tins.

This has been alot of work, but you can get alot done in short time on these tractors. I think its looking great and will be proud to show the tractor that goes with all the great stories.

More to come later.

John

jachady

I've been trying to figure out what color to paint the rims. First I was thinking black, but then I think I got a lot of black on the chassis. So then I was thinking silver, but I really like black rims. So, my wife and I came up with this.

th_IMG00336.jpg

th_IMG00337.jpg

I painted the silver first, then taped it off and shot the black. What do you guys think?

I ordered some new Sawtooth tires for the front so I've got a week to get the rims done.

John

tbbahner

Yep, funny how one thing leads to another!

You'll be happy when its all done! Good Job. Really love the old B's & C's.

Tom B

Sparky

I like where this is headed.......a cool custom :woohoo: . Very interested to see what the rims look like with rubber on em and installed on the tractor. I just might have to "steal' that idea :D .

Mike.........

shootinok

I like the tire idea...

Is that so you can turn right in the dirt and left in the grass? :woohoo:

Duff

Those wheels look SHARP!!!!

Duff :woohoo: :D

SAM58

Put a boot on it to keep out water... :woohoo:

The shifter fork is plenty strong if the transmission is service correctly. :ROTF:

Mud will make any trans shift hard... :D

shootinok

I really like the contrasting Blacks!

:woohoo:

312Hydro

This is really looking good! I like those rims and the bed liner idea for the footrests . I thought about the liner for under the fender pan but haven't decided yet.Can't wait to see it complete! :woohoo:

jachady

I do plan on having the underside of the fender pan and the underside of the tiller sprayed with bedliner material. The one thing that surprised me is how tight the tolerances are on these tractors. After spraying the footpads, it was hard to get them and the belt guard back into the correct position so that I could get the shifter panel bolted down.

Duff - Thanks for the compliments, it is your tractor that the rest of my inspiration came from.

SAM58 - You are correct, I didn't have a boot. But the boot won't help where I go once a year. I actually run the tractor with tiller through a quarter mile long ditch to help keep it clear. The last time I did it the water was 2 feet deep, over the rear wheels!!! I have learned with my tilling business that maintanence is key.

Forest Road

Looks good! You might want to consider POR 15 or their Hardnose product for under your tiller. It wears like iron. Bedliner spray doesn't come close.

jachady

So I got the rims painted up and the tires mounted. I'm still wondering if I made the right decision to go with the 4.8 front tires or stick with the fat fronts. I am hoping they give me better turning traction in the gardens once the dirt is tilled up.

th_IMG00342.jpg

th_IMG00341.jpg

Still waiting on the tins. Turns out the hood was completely rusted UNDER the paint. So we had to strip and sandblast the whole thing.

Gettin tough to think of this tractor going back into hard commercial use.

John

shootinok

I love the look of the thinner front tires and the Ag's on the back!

Been considering that myself on the next one. I think it gives it an "old school" look.

I dont think you made the wrong choice.

Let us know how the effect the steering :woohoo:

jachady

So it's not a great picture, but tins are finally getting painted. Here they are in primer.

th_Unnamed.jpg

312Hydro

You're on the down hill side now! Lookin good :woohoo:

Stress Test Pullin

Good work so far, keep up the good work!

jachady

So the parts were getting painted and I decided to go over to the body shop and watch. Of course I got roped into doing a bunch of sanding and prep. But the paint job was free so I can't complain. I helped sand out the primer sealer and get the parts ready for final paint. Just as my brother in law was mixing up the color, I got a phone call and had to leave. So here's the photos of the work in progress my in-law sent.

th_46545.jpg

Then I got these.

th_Unnamed-1.jpg

th_123.jpg

I started to get a little worried about the tu-tone, whether or not the extra black on the sides would be too much. I almost called him and asked him to re-shoot the sides to all silver. But patience kicked in and I decided to wait and see how they looked in person.

I went to his shop to pick them up and they looked awesome, all doubt about the tu-tone was erased. Especially after I pictured how the decals were going to tie it all together. We loaded the parts up and headed home. Of course you can't leave these shiny parts just laying around so I had to mock them up. So here's a quck look at how this tractor will turn out.

th_IMG00375.jpg

I think it looks awesome. The final decision will be the tiller cover. We painted it entirely silver and we both think it may be too much, so we're going to mount it then decide if and how we should change it up.

Well next time you see it, the tractor will be all complete. It's been a heck of a project and I can only imagine the work you guys put into the true restorations. This one goes back to work this winter as my snowblower and then back to the gritty work of tilling for a living.

John

jachady

Sun came out and had to stage it and take some more pics. Now I'm wondering if the seat pan has too much silver, should it be black under the seat and down to the tower? The decals on the hood are going to look facotry but be black with silver lettering so there will be even less silver up front.

Any ideas on how to tone down the back of the tractor?

th_IMG00381.jpg

I do plan on having a fender sticker and tiller stickers made as well, black with silver lettering.

th_IMG00380.jpg

John

145Automatic

I'll admitt I was a little sceptical on the black and silver. but, it looks like one mean B.A. machine. Good work. Put some lights on the back and with a black fender sticker it will be sweet. Keep us posted with the decals.

WildHorses

I really like the black body that looks good. I think I would have put some red on it instead of silver personally but to each his own. Great job

ol550

Any ideas on how to tone down the back of the tractor?

Personally I think once you have the tail lights and rear decal on it will tone itself down. Mke