Sign in to follow this  
scv85

GT14 Transmission Leaking

scv85

So previously I had a slight leak from both axle shafts on the trans of my 70 GT14. I replaced them and it was okay. I now notice some drips from the center of the trans on the ground. Is this something I should address or will I be okay just checking fluid now and again? I am a neat freak so the spot I am getting is about 2"x2" after running it for an hour or so and then parking it for the week.

corn53

Good question as mine also has a leak. :hide: Usually a half dollar size puddle so im curious as to what others think?? :WRS:

scv85

I did just save the transmission manual if it helps any...

Trans Manual

Just click the red link for the sunstrand hydro trans. Hopefully someone has some input.

shorts

clean the trans real good, use a pressure washer if available, or purple cleaner and a garden hose or brake kleen and compressed air, then get a mirror and light and try to find out where the leak is, if it's a seal replace it if it's the case halfs try to tighten the bolts. or just put some cardboard or a cookie sheet under it and keep an eye on the oil level. As much as i hate fixing oil leaks, their 2 things that annoy me more, one is oil on the floor and the other is changing a flat tire. :hide::)

you could always put a diaper on it :WRS:

corn53

:WRS: Thats a good idea!!! :hide:

scv85

It looks like seal here the pump bolts up, I'll try tightening bolts tonight.

scv85

I checked the pump to case bolts on lunch, I was able to snug all of the bolts and the forwardmost lower bolt was very loose. I will clean it back up and run it again but even if that wasn't the problem, it was going to be a problem.

oldredrider

You may have a supply or return hose leaking. Cleaning everything up is the first step in locating the leak. If you are running Dexron in the trans, it can sometimes be difficult to see where the leak is coming from because it's the same color as the transmission. If everything is clean to begin with, look for the "shine". Keep us posted.