Sign in to follow this  
shakenbake

Help with a 520

shakenbake

I can't belive it!!! Tonight I thought I would do a quick cut after work before the rain came AGAIN. Making a pass down hill, I though my left rear tire fell into a hole that I wasn't aware of....that is what I thought until I saw my left rear tire roll by the tractor on the right side.

The axle shaft broke! Upon closer inspection it seems as if it may have been cracked for a while, right along the key-way. Long story short, I have it on the back of my trailer now and am trying to figure out if this is the end of my 520.

It is an older 520 HC, branded as Toro/Wheelhorse. It has been a great tractor for me. Bought it used 5 years ago for $800. It should still have lots of life left in her, but I am in Ontario, Canada and not too sure about availability of parts.

What do people think? Am I now the proud owner of a parts tractor or is this an easy fix?

rmaynard

:hide: Glad to have you aboard. Sorry about the axle problems.

The axle is still available, but very pricey. You may want to see what responses you get from other members. There are lots of guys selling parts and complete transmissions or transaxles. Don't give up on it yet.

Good luck.

shakenbake

Thanks....this is the first time I have seen the site. A great resource, just wish I had it last spring when I was chasing down electrical problems.

I really love this tractor and want to keep her going strong. Guess I am looking for parts now.

Raider12

If someone here doesn't have a good axle fror you Im sure there are some available on Ebay. Iv seen them there from time to time.

SAM58

Might check with the guys with the :hide: boneyards....

Kelly

Daveoman1966

I would think you could find an axle, or a whole Trans axle.

can whlvr

hey shake and bake,welcome to the site,im from ontario also,near orangeville,i think you can find an axle,like said allready check out the wanted area in the classified section here,i have gotten parts from some of our members and had very good luck,i broke an axle years ago and ended up buying a whole rear end with shipping it was WAY cheaper than the dealer,but i bet the axle you need is still available from toro if you cant find a used one

zieg72

Sorry to hear of the trouble. :hide: You should be able to find what you need right here, put a wanted post in the classified section and sit back and watch the replies.

can whlvr

so i looked up your transaxle and apparantly tha axles for your tractor are no longer available,part number 108362 for right axle,its 13 and an 1/8th long,left side 108361 10 and an 1/8th long,that rear end was used by lots of hydros like 416-h,and many more so its a good chance you will find a used one,worse to worse you could have a machine shop make you one,probally noy cheap but worth it considering replacement cost of a similar tractor

boovuc

:hide:

I think Im correct and the real tranny guys will correct me if Im wrong but...........The Eaton Transmission on that horse should be pretty much the same as other 400/500 series tractors of that era. So an axle from any 416H, 418H or 520H would work.

There are parts out there for it. You could even purchase a "broken" rear transaxle from a 400 or 500 series H tractor and have a fix for your problem. Hold onto it and as was suggested, place a "Wanted" request in the classified section here.

Good Luck to you!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

dgjks6

I refer to my myself as the expert in rear axle acquisition. I broke an axle on an 8 speed and looked high and low and could not find a good one. Time and patience payed off and now I have a supply of them.

Your best bet is to look on the auction site. When I was looking for mine, all I could find was axles like you are looking for. But as fate would have it, now the axles for sale are not the ones you need.

It helps to know what other models use your transaxle. For example the 516's and 518's had different "transmissions", but the same "transaxle". Right now there is a parts trans on an auction that would work on yours for $100. But they all seem to be pick up only.

Actonhorse

shakenbake: I'm in Ontario as well. I have bought several parts over e-bay and on the classified sections here. Easy shipping to Ontario. By the way, where abouts are you? I'm near Acton.

Dean

shorts

:)

If all else fails Moser Engineering/Moser Axle, in Portland In makes axles for the racecar market, I've had them make axle shafts for the front axle in my jeep several times,"operator error" :hide::WRS::beer::hide: , not cheap but reasonable prices :disgust: