Sign in to follow this  
SousaKerry

Hub cap rust removal

SousaKerry

Picked up a set of hub caps the other day off of a Michigan auction site, (won't say which one don't want any more competition) anywho I built me one of them magic rust eraser tanks this weekend, tried it on a gas tank, worked so damb good I may never sand blast again :hide:

What would happen if I put them hub caps in there would it eat the chrome off? :WRS:

I'd hate to ruin them hubcaps worse then they already are.

300zx

Kerry, I etanked some rusty hub caps I got on one of my tractors. It leaves any chrome that is still on the caps and helps release the rust in the pits. It still took some elbow grease to get the residual off, but I was happy with it. Problem is, I think they will continue to rust unless I coat them with something. I am thinking of using a clear coat.

HorseFixer

Go to ace hardware get som OXALIC ACID known as (wood bleach) put in water just to submerse the caps smaller container the better. You wont believe the results! Its the best thing to use for chrome. :hide:

Cheers ~Duke

:WRS:

Try this link below

WOOD BLEACH

GlenPettit

One way that works to "replace" the missing Chrome from the cleaned rust pits, is to wad/wrinkle up some Aluminum Foil from the kitchen and rub it into the pits, in several directions. Then clear-coat or wax to keep it in there. Get some new clips to keep the Hub Cap on the rims.

Michigan Glen

mr.pipes

Anyone ever try Coke-a-Cola (phosphoric acid) for rust removal? I watched an episode of Myth Busters recently and they did a test/comparison on an old chrome plated bumper. A common chrome polish VS. scrubbing with Coke and aluminum foil. They said the Coke and foil did a better job. I didn't like the sound of rubbing the foil on chrome but I guess it is softer. I would still try it on a test piece first as I tend to be sceptical of things that don't seem right. I'm more of a seeing is believing type.

rueger-99

One way that works to "replace" the missing Chrome from the cleaned rust pits, is to wad/wrinkle up some Aluminum Foil from the kitchen and rub it into the pits, in several directions. Then clear-coat or wax to keep it in there. Get some new clips to keep the Hub Cap on the rims.

Michigan Glen

This works surpisingly well....cheap too!

Electro12WH

When I was a kid, we would clean the rust off our bike rims w/tin foil and water.

SAM58

:hide: Steel wool, elbow grease, car wax to seal it from rusting again... :WRS: