Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

REBUILDING K-301

wse100

No K321's...but two K341's, one K301, & 4/5 K241's

What are these in "Newbie Terms"? I don't quite know the numbers yet.

linen beige

Al, I know what you mean about the typing! I can't count to twenty one if I'm clothed. I think I remember his ad saying that the thermal coated piston is less apt to scuff. Am I wrong in thinking that if the rings are worn enough to let the skirt rub the bore, then a thin plastic coating aint gonna help ya fur long?

If you're talking about the dealer I'm thinking of, go into his Ebay store. he will have the same kits listed on different pages for different prices. Seems that most of the lower prices are several pages into his sight. They will be the same parts, just slightly different catalog numbers. A couple of times I've added up his price for all the parts individually and found them to be a few dollars less than the full kit.

On another note, I've always been a little intrigued by the Avanti. I've never had a chance to drive one, but there are 2 in my area I see every now and then. One is a battle scarred daily driver. the other is pristine. I think the same man owns both, but since I once saw them one behind the other at a stop light I can't be sure that the lady driving the nice one was just driving it home for him. I did read the other night that they are now being produced in Cancun, Mexico.

illinilefttackle

:WRS: Yea Jim-they WERE being produced there-BUT-the owner ,his name is Kelly,was indited for real estate time share fraud and was arrested and is now in jail in Chicago. Who knows what will happen to the car. It was beautiful. Styling was way ahead of its time-and they were FAST until we started stuffing small block chevy engines in them instead of the Studebaker V-8. I still remember the year an Avanti was the pace car at Indy 500-twin paxton superchargers-it did a 165 mph lap. Could have done more,but didnt have the tires to take it! Thanks-AL :whistle:

Rollerman

What are these in "Newbie Terms"? I don't quite know the numbers yet.

Charles they are the models of the K series Kohlers.

K241 = 10HP, K301...12, K321...14, K341 is a 16HP

Al thanks for shareing some of the history of the Avanti.

Always thought they were cool....seems the latter versions even had a GM frame & power train?

To see them being built & had a hand in it with true Studebaker parts....now thats just :WRS: cool.... :whistle:

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Hey Guys- Just ordered the parts-decided to go with the MASTER REBUILD KIT/VALVES-the one with the "thermal coated piston" the guy says this is the best way to go. Im trying to order valve guides and a points pin from him too and combine shipping-but no one is answering the phone.

Stephan-I could go on and on about the AVANTI, but I know this is not the place-I was there the day they closed down in South Bend- That old Studebaker builing looked sad and about to cry, as some of us were too. I had a chance to go to Ohio with them, but didnt trust the new owner-Kelly-I wonder why?

Heres a snippet from the past-about the car-Andy Granetelli got ahold of one and worked with Paxton company-the car they had did 196 mph in a straight run at Indy 500 track. I was lucky enough to get my name mentioned in the April 1984 issue of CAR & DRIVER MAG when they came thru the plant and watched us work-they wrote a nice article-headed "Mr Peabody set the Time Machine". Anyway-it was a good experience-good people.

WorldsFastestProductionCar.jpg

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Ok Guys! I just got my valves and guides from Brian Miller-real nice guy, a bit slow on shipping-rumor was he was at a barbecue, but there here now! Its off to Ridge Company tomorrow on the way to work to drop them off at the machine shop-boring is done as well as the crank-I think I will take the head in too to be checked for flatness-a few thousands off might even give a little more OOPH!

Won;t be long now! I promise to do pics of the rebuild and "Transplant Operation" changing engines. I thought it would be cool to make a video of the first time I try to start it after its all done! Even with the years and years of rebuilding engines-its still a "special" time for me-to hear them to come to life for the first time!

I'll keep you posted!-AL B)