Sign in to follow this  
IDriveWheelHorse

KT17 engine mounts?

IDriveWheelHorse

Hey guys, hope I can get some input from you all. I have an 84 C-145 and just snagged a KT17. Thought the mounts were interchangable, but I'm starting to think they aren't. I'm about a half of an inch off the cradle. Should I just mount that sucker on an adapter plate and call it good? Or should I find the correct cradles?

Thanks in advance red square!

- Harry

baerpath

I'd use the mounting plate from a 417 / 418,

Duane

IDriveWheelHorse

Has anyone done this before? Seems as I have talked with several people about doing a "switch" like this and its known to vibrate your brain to death with the engine mounted right to the plate then frame. :WRS:

Then again I have talked to a couple people who have switched a K301 with a KT and said that its a direct fit no mods needed.. definitely not the case here! :hide:

The cradle with rubber busings helps alot and allow engine torque without putting stress on the frame.. so maybe I could grab some bushings and mount them below the plate... and have the similar effect, just not factory I guess.

Suggestions?

mr.pipes

If you are unable to track down the plate easily for a price you like I think you should go with your idea with the rubbers. Sounds good in theory. If they are the right size and consistency you should be good. It's belt drive any ways so even if it "torques" a little extra, I can't imagine it causing any problems. :WRS:

I just went to the garage to look at one of my 417's and it doesn't have any rubber mounts. :hide:

dgjks6

Looking at the parts diagrams, the 17hp has the same mounts, but a different plate. I have seen them from time to time on ebay so you can

1 - wait

2 - make your own

3 - but the correct one (about $70)

IDriveWheelHorse

If you are unable to track down the plate easily for a price you like I think you should go with your idea with the rubbers. Sounds good in theory. If they are the right size and consistency you should be good. It's belt drive any ways so even if it "torques" a little extra, I can't imagine it causing any problems. :WRS:

I just went to the garage to look at one of my 417's and it doesn't have any rubber mounts. :hide:

I agree Mr. pipes... I think I will just mount it to the adapter plate with the rubber bushings and call it good!

I'll take some pics and post them later on and to see what we come up with.

boovuc

The KT was used on the C-175 Blackhoods. The plate is rubber mounted then the engine is a direct bolt to that plate. There are many C-175 parts tractors out there. Ask a Redsquare member on the Classifieds/Wanted Section if they have their engine mount from a C-175 available.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

stevasaurus

Is this the situation where some have talked about the engine bolts to the frame on one side and threaded holes in the block match up on the other side??? :hide:

IDriveWheelHorse

I should clarify...

I bought a KT17 out of a 1984 C-175. The engine came complete with mount and what looks to be a thick peice of cut steel with 4 holes in it and imprints of the tractor frame on one side (this piece of steel is definitely not factory, but looks good.)

Both of my engine cradles that are on my tractor needed to be moved out, but the front has a different cradle (I believe) than what is meant for the KT17 and that is why this isnt going to mount. So technically I guess I really just need the front cradle?

Still, I might just do a direct bolt from the engine to mount, mount to rubber bushings, rubber bushings to adapter (cut steel plate) and adapter to frame.

If anyone knows the difference of the cradles between years or engines let me know. I believe that is where the issue is keeping me from mounting this engine to its origina specs.

mr.pipes

The KT was used on the C-175 Blackhoods. The plate is rubber mounted then the engine is a direct bolt to that plate. There are many C-175 parts tractors out there. Ask a Redsquare member on the Classifieds/Wanted Section if they have their engine mount from a C-175 available.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Hey Boo, Do you have a pic of the motor mounts on your C-175? Kinda curious why they have em but my 417-8 here doesn't. Mine is just motor-plate-frame. I'm gonna look at my two other Kohler twins later this afternoon.

IDrive :hide: , post a wanted ad and see what folks have to offer. I bet Kelly has one.

IDriveWheelHorse

Is this the situation where some have talked about the engine bolts to the frame on one side and threaded holes in the block match up on the other side??? :hide:

I wonder.... that would make sense. Im at work right now so I can't look.

TT

The second and third generation C series tractors (those with "product names" ending in "1" or "5" - with a few exceptions) had the iso-mount engines.

Two iron "blocks" bolted directly to the frame rails, a mounting plate bolted directly to the bottom of the engine, and a rubber isolation mount was attached between each corner of the engine mounting plate and the iron mounts bolted to the frame.

175iso-mount.jpg

The WorkHorse models and the 300/400/500 series tractors went back to the original "engine bolted solidly to the frame" design, which in some cases - such as the twin-cylinder models and 8hp Kohler and B&S singles- used a steel plate to provide a solid attachment to the frame while allowing for proper positioning of the engine. (fore & aft, side to side, and height to crankshaft centerline)

Unless you use one of the two OEM mounting configurations, (either the correct and complete isolation cradle mount system or the solid plate used on the 417/418/420 that "baerpath" Duane mentioned above) you will have belt fit & alignment issues, PTO engagement linkage issues, etc.

mrocket49

My C-175 came with a solid plate when I got it and I bought the rubber-iso mount engine cradle on Ebay and replaced it. I could be wrong but since my WH had the Series II engine, I thought maybe the plate was put on when the engine was switched from the original Series I. The engine sits about 3/4" higher with the engine cradle.

As far as vibration, it is a little smoother with the rubber mounts.

boovuc

As always, TT clarifies things perfectly. :hide:

Mr. Pipes.........TT's illustration probably does more justice than any picture I can take from one side or another. Shoot me a PM if you want a pic and I'll get one or two back to you. :WRS:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA