Sign in to follow this  
scv85

GT14 Mild Resto Complete

scv85

The story of my GT14...

Over 15yrs ago, a man by the name of Joe Maheliak owned a Wheel Horse GT14 since new. Before he passed away, he had the tractor completely painted and put in the hay loft of one of his barns on the back lot of his property in Willington, CT.

A few months ago, after fixing up my buddies Chetech, quite like a John Deere Gator 4x2, I realized I needed something to make cutting and hauling wood easier around my property. So I set out for my search on a side by side.

After much disappointment, I realized I would not be able to find a Gator or side by side for cheap. I then looked for another means, which came to a tractor with dump cart. Being the way I am, any old tractor wouldn't suffice, I needed an antique, a project.

A few days later, I just happened to mention my quest for an antique when a co-workers eyes lit up. Son in law of Mr. Maheliak remembered about this tractor he put away 15yrs ago. After some struggling, lifting, grunting and ratchet straping the tractor in the bucket of his backhoe, we got the tractor into my trailer.

I proceeded to ask him, how much do you want for it??? He replied, for you, I know how OCD you are and I'd love to see a part of my history restored...FREE!!

Music to my ears! Well approximately 1 and a half months and $300 later, here is my new 1970 GT14!!!

IMG00246-20110322-2054.jpg

IMG00247-20110324-2215.jpg

IMG00248-20110324-2215.jpg

GT14-2.jpg

GT14-1.jpg

GT14.jpg

GT14Cart1.jpg

GT14Cart.jpg

IMG00262-20110415-1231.jpg

neil

what a great story & a lovely looking machine

I love the GT14s one of my :D favorite tractors.

I feel really lucky to also own one especially as they are rarer that wheel horse S@*t if you get my meaning here in the UK apparently only 50 gt14 tractors were ever imported to UK

Yours is a very fine example & the old guy would have been proud to see what a nice job you have made of his old tractor

GREAT JOB :thumbs:

Oh and also , love the Tidy workshop i wished mine was that nice. :wh:

SAM58

:thumbs: Great Job! :wh:

iicap

Nice job on the tractor, the old man is smiling and happy you got it!!

Questions on the dump cart, not clear to see. Linear actuator or hyd cyl?

Bought that way or mod by you? how about close up pic(s) and your source of powering it. TIA.

scv85

The cart is a 20cu ft ohio steel ATV dump cart. It is a linear actuator from northern tool... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...33245_200333245

I welded up ears on the crossbar on the cart bed and on the trailer arm up to the tractor. I ran power directly from my battery following the wiring for the rear lights back. I then installed a DPDT momentary switch on the rear panel for easy access right from the drivers seat. I added a GM weatherpack connector to the wiring to the trailer for easy connection. Here are some pictures...

IMG00274-20110425-1740.jpg

IMG00275-20110425-1741.jpg

IMG00276-20110425-1741.jpg

IMG00277-20110425-1741.jpg

IMG00278-20110425-1742.jpg

IMG00279-20110425-1743.jpg

I set it up so when the actuator is at full closed, it applies some pressure to the cart to clamp it all together. I also made it so the actuator only uses about 8" on flat to dump so it will be closer to vertical when dumping down an embankment.

iicap

Very nice job Sean, neat and clean :thumbs: . Thanks for the pics and text. I have thoughts on something similar, that is why my inquiry.

corn53

:thumbs: Awesome job on the gt14 and also love the what u did with the trailor.

Ken B

Very nice! I bet the original owner is looking down and proud to see his old pride and joy being used once again. Just looking at your shop its easy to see she will be well loved and properly cared for. :thumbs:

stevebo

Very nice !! I love hearing about these kinds of stories. You even have the split oem rear wheel weights !!

wallfish

You even have the split oem rear wheel weights !!

I believe those weights are designed to be installed on the inside of the wheels too.