Sign in to follow this  
Jim_M

It followed me home

Jim_M

I picked up a 308-8 with a 36" deck today. It was a one owner tractor. The rod let loose and he was tired of it, so he traded me for a running, mowing, 1999 Craftsman that I had sitting around.

We were both smiling when I drove away so I guess I'll be able to sleep at night.

There's no holes in the block so I'm hoping I can save the engine. I probably won't get time to tear it down until next winter if I can stand to wait that long.

Picture191.jpg

Picture190-1.jpg

Rollerman

Jim looks like you did okay.

Also has the 3 blade deck 36"...not your favorite twin blade 37"

Really looks pretty clean....& that 8HP will help on the wallet buying gas when you get it running. :whistle:

nylyon

What a nice little horse. I'll bet once it's going again it will be a good fuel saver.

kj4kicks

Wow Jim ! That's a nice tractor !

I think you got the better end of the deal for sure.

rustyoldjunk

i believe you got the better end of that deal and being one owner you know where its been and pretty much whats been done to it.i didnt even know they made a 308 8.

Jim_M

It has a snow blade hitch on it, but he didn't have the snow blade anymore, said his son bent it pushing a car once so he threw it away. I would have liked to have had it, even if just for parts, but it's long gone.

I did get the original manuals, sales reciept, the tag that was hanging on the steering wheel and every piece of paper that it came with, plus every reciept for every little thing he ever bought for it.

I think it will make a nice little tractor with a little work. The deck is solid and the bearings seem good, it could use new wheels though.

The steering is tight and the sheet metal is straight, so it looks the internal engine damage is the worst problem.

Kelly

Nice score, ditto on the gas savings you might not want to wait till next winter. Looks you got the good end of the deal :whistle:

T-Mo

Jim,

Even though I think you definitely got the better end of the deal, you should sleep at night. Any deal that ends with both parties smiling is a good one. It sounds like the guy must have bought it new if all the manuals and documents are still with it.

CasualObserver

Nice one Jim! I'd imagine that if he kept all the paperwork like you say.. he probably kept good care of it, and didn't abuse it too badly! :whistle:

TT

You got that on a Craftsman trade, huh? :whistle:

WAY TO GO, Jim ! :WRS:

(I still have a few M8 parts floating around here somewhere -- if you need something, just shout.)

kpinnc

I just hate it when they follow me home like that. I keep telling the wife it's not my fault, but I don't think she believes me...

Nice 308! :whistle:

Kevin

Jim_M

Some of you guys may remember the 308-8 I picked up a while back. I decided to tear it down yesterday morning and see what it needed.

I power washed it, pulled the oil drain plug and waited........nothing came out. I pulled the engine and took the pan off, there was about an ounce of oil, a couple pea size rocks and lots of pieces of connecting rod in it. I finished tearing it apart and was amazed to find the cylinder walls were like new, no scratches, or scoring, and absolutely no ridge in the cylinder and it miked well within spec. If I didn't already know how tough these Kohlers are, that would have been enough to convince me.

I called my cousin who worked for years at a Wheel Horse dealer. He bought out pretty much the whole parts and service department when they closed up. (Don't get excited guys, there's no really neat old NOS parts, believe me I've looked)

He said to come on down and we'll have a beer and see if he had the parts I needed. I tossed the crank and piston in a saddlebag and rode down there. I came home with a new crank, piston, rings, wristpin, gaskets, bearings, sparkplug, and a slight beer buzz, all for $75.00.

I honed the cylinder, cleaned everything up and put it back together today. The thing runs great! I'm off work tomorrow, so I plan to finish cleaning up the tractor, sharpen the blades and put the 36" RD deck back under it, put a couple hours on it and give it an oil change.

The guy I got it from told me to be sure to let him know what I found when I tore it down so I called him last night. It seems he had put his 15 year old son in charge of the maintenance and operation of the Wheel Horse. The kid swore he did an oil change on it at the start of the mowing season this spring. All we can figure is that he drained the old oil and forgot to put oil back in before he started mowing. It was a stupid mistake, but I'll bet everyone of us has made a stupid mistake that we hate to admit to at one time or another. I'm guessing the 2 small rocks in the pan were from the times he laid the funnel down on the driveway while he opened the hood and pulled the dipstick to add oil. I don't think the kid's dad will be too hard on him, after all at least he was doing something besides playing video games, but I'm sure he'll let him know where he went wrong.

All in all it's been a pretty good weekend! B)

T-Mo

Jim,

That's great news that you got it running and it only cost you $75. Sounds like a happy ending. Now, for the guy's son..... B) Or did you thank him? :whistle:

rustbucket

thats real good news to hear feel kinda bad the guy lost a horse to such a stupid thing. the funel prolly cloged on bigger rock and the kid though it was over filled.

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Hey Jim-Great find! Anyone that doubts the toughness and POWER of these Horses-has a lot to learn! 8HP.10HP,12HP its about TORQUE. " Bent the blade pushing a car Eh?" -AL B)