Sign in to follow this  
Toejam

310-8 Mild Restore

Toejam

I am doing a mild restoration on my 310-8. I did not get a picture of it before I started but it was a rusted mess. I will try my best to document all of the things I do.

Running board and belt cover getting stipped

sidepanelsbefore-1.jpg

Rear fender/seat pan

rearfenderstripped.jpg

Cleanfender.jpg

Some parts in primer

fenderinprimer.jpg

primer3.jpg

primer2.jpg

primer1.jpg

Cleaning before paint

shifterboot-1.jpg

Yes I did get a new boot...

001.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

Side discharge deck before I touch it.more pics of the deck to come.

004.jpg

Thats all for now I will be posting more in the weeks to come. All suggestions are welcome.

sgtsampay

Wow, can;t wait to see it once your done..:thumbs:

Duff

You're doing some nice work there!

Looking at the rotted rubber boot at the base of the shifter, if you haven't already, check the condition of the oil in the tranny - if the tractor has spent any time out of doors (as the rust would suggest) there's probably water in the tranny that must be flushed out before you start working the machine again. Quickest indication will be if the oil comes out looking like milky baby puke. There are some good threads here about how to flush and refill the tranny or, if necessary, split and rebuild it.

I'll be watching your progress with interest!

Duff :thumbs:

EDIT: I missed the caption that said you'd already gotten a new boot - very good! Let us know what you find out about the tranny oil.

Toejam

You're doing some nice work there!

Looking at the rotted rubber boot at the base of the shifter, if you haven't already, check the condition of the oil in the tranny - if the tractor has spent any time out of doors (as the rust would suggest) there's probably water in the tranny that must be flushed out before you start working the machine again. Quickest indication will be if the oil comes out looking like milky baby puke. There are some good threads here about how to flush and refill the tranny or, if necessary, split and rebuild it.

I'll be watching your progress with interest!

EDIT: I missed the caption that said you'd already gotten a new boot - very good! Let us know what you find out about the tranny oil.

You are correct Duff!...The trany case had about a quart of water in it.(Cant believe the plug came out with little effort!) It did set out in a field for at least five years! (Well, it was the tree line) . This is why I got it for FREE haha! The transmission worked in both low and high range with very little noise so I am sure that it will be fine once I fill it with gear oil. What weight will I need? I thought it was 90 but just want to make sure. I disasembled(spelling?) the deck today and was surprised to find everything in order exept for the quarter inch of rust hanging out under the belt guards... so I used a scraper removed all the loose stuff ,wire brushed and primered it. I will take a picture in the morning. Painting engine tins and some frame stuff tomorrow maybe rims :wh: .

Toejam

Spent some time painting and discovered the difference in shade between Valspar IH tractor implament piant and Krylon Cherry Red. The IH paint seems to be darker. It is to late for me change now so I am just going to have to live with it.

I have a few pics. The running boards are just mocked up.

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

I also learned the Krylon alluminum color paint is TO bright. I had read a post about adding clear sometimes makes it deeper and calms it down some. Not in this case....lol...

002-1.jpg

I know my camera is not the best but boy did the flash reflect the light or what. I will clean off the over spray. :wh:

I have to take the better half to her first chemo treatment tomorrow (Breast Cancer) :D not sure if I will be able to post anything else for a few days. :thumbs:

I am still looking for an answer about the gear oil. What weight would you recomend and how much will I need.

Thanks

Pat

Toejam

I also took a picture of the deck. The spindals were in good condition with no noise so I greased them and left well enough alone. I am not going any farther with this deck because of the rust. I will seach for another one. In the mean time I will paint this one and use it this season maybe next if it holds up.

001-1.jpg

I am going to try and preserve the stickers so maybe some paint and ill buff and wax the rest.

Thanks

Pat

Duff

Pat, our prayers will be with your wife!

Also, 90 weight for the gear oil is correct, and 2 quarts.

Toejam

Better half did well with her first dose of chemo. She got the trots from it but she has good spirits. Thankyou for the support. :thumbs:

On a lighter note....I had the horse running for the first time today with a clean tank, new fuel shut off, filter and line all the way to the pump. Ran great! :wh:

I picked up Grey paint today for the rims and some mineral spirits to flush the rear end. I should have it on the ground running by the afternoon.

Toejam

Here are some pictures from today. Got everything running and working. Bolted the seat on just see how she rode and she did fine. Got the 90 weight oil in and the trans runs quiet and shifts nice.

New fuel shut off.

fuelshutoff.jpg

First time in the day light since this all started....

ontheground.jpg

I used classic grey from krylon to do my wheels. I think they turned out pretty good. I should be able to bolt on the tins this weekend depending on the paint.

Thanks

Pat

can whlvr

tractor is lookin good but more importantly good luck with your wife,as duff said she will be in our thoughts

Toejam

:thumbs: Thankyou Don.... means alot. Thanks to all of you!

Toejam

Its been a couple days so here is an update. I know my post is not as exciting as others but I will keep it up to date until I get finished.

I freed up all the wheels and moving parts from the deck. Removed them then sanded, greased and reinstalled. The deck will be fine for my worker! :D

I painted the muffler with Rustolium High Heat paint. Can says 1200 degrees! :wh:highheatpaint.jpg

I think it looks good. A site better than rust and a lot cheaper than a new one.

paintedmuffler.jpg

I fixed the broken clutch peddle yesterday. I had posted a couple months ago about breaking it with a two pound hammer trying to get it freed up from the rust. :D I welded a peace of re-bar on the back of the peddle. I've seen some of your welds so I wont show you mine because your are MUCH better! :thumbs:repairedclutchpeddle.jpg

I had to get out the tap and dye kit today to fix the mule drive. Thats always fun. tappingthreads.jpg

cleaningthreads.jpg

Got everything all clean and woking as it should,painted it and put it on for the test fit.

muledriveinstalled.jpg

I got the hood and fender painted, they will dry over night and then they will get to come home from the shop... :D.

paintedhood.jpg

paintedfender.jpg

Thats it for now....

Stay tuned for the rest because the end is near.....

BTW... The better half is doing well. White blood cell count is down do to the chemo and she has to wear a mask whenever she goes out but the doctors are very optomistic. They gave her yet another pill and it looks like a Mr. Ed size dose.

Thanks

Pat

PPGman

Its looking good Pat! This Horse will have a bit more "swagger" in her step as she mows the lawn this summer. I have one similar to yours i need to get to as well.

As for you and your wife, know and be encouraged that you are in our thoughts and prayers. :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

Pat that is one nice looking tractor!!! Sorry to hear your wife got cancer your family is in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless :thumbs:

corn53

Restore is coming out nicely :thumbs: I also will pray for you and your family and hope the wife gets well soon.

dgjks6

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

As far as not as exciting restoration, there is no such thing. My favorite thing to do is look through the other posts and see how other members fix the problems they are presented with that aren't in the book - like a broken pedal. Who da thought?

Toejam

I was running her yesterday at idle for a while and noticed fuel coming out of the carb. The front of the carb., not the bowl or any other gasket. So I got to thinking.( OH NO right )..... Well early in this progect before I started posting I took the head off and decarbended the valves and piston. I did this with a wire brush and sand paper. Well any way everything was tight and all looked good. I brought it up to top dead center and the valves wear tight and I could not turn them. So i bolted the head back on and left well enough alone. Now with this problem I am thinking the intake valve (both if I am doing it) needs to be ground? What are your thoughts? The carb does not leak or anything above idle and the carb was rebuilt by a shop that has done many for me. When I do this it will be another series of pictures that will help another soul in need.

I have two more projects lined up after this one like a three speed for my 633 needs an overhaul I accualy have two three speeds with the same problem. The screen door latch that holds it in third has to go. :wh: I also have a K181 :thumbs: ( I think thats what it is ) in my 1055 parter that is locked up and I am going to try and get that going. It has the starter generator that I want. :D .

dgjks6

No idea what the gas out of the carb means, but if you are concerned about the valves have you set the spacing? Not sure of the exact term, but if you have a feeler gauge you can take off the breather and check that.

iicap

Look no further than the float / needle seat not sealing and stopping the gas from entering the carb once full. Realizing the carb is rebuilt, a spec of something that may have been in the new hose, gotten thru the pump, may be lodged and keeping the seat from sealing. If the inlet elbow was not removed during the rebuild there could be some old hose debris in there and it will lodge at the seat but to big to pass by. All respect to the rebuilder, there are sometimes glitches

Toejam

Look no further than the float / needle seat not sealing and stopping the gas from entering the carb once full. Realizing the carb is rebuilt, a spec of something that may have been in the new hose, gotten thru the pump, may be lodged and keeping the seat from sealing. If the inlet elbow was not removed during the rebuild there could be some old hose debris in there and it will lodge at the seat but to big to pass by. All respect to the rebuilder, there are sometimes glitches

Thanks for that! I will pull it apart tommorrow and inspect it. I am no stranger to carbs they are just a little bigger on the small block fords :thumbs: (sry chevy guys). <_< .

iicap

Not going off track here, but when no salt on the road, my daily driver is a Ford---------------------------------1966 F-250, sorry Chevy lovers, at least I gave you a capital C :thumbs:

Hope you find carb prob!

Toejam

Update...Just to let you know I have not given up on this project but I have ran into a snag or two. Seems funds have gotten a little low. The paint was wrong so I am going to redo that and the weather just will not let me finish. The carb was the issue and seems to be doing much better.

Here is a picture of the hood and fender pan mocked up...What do you think?

wheelhorse.jpg

You cant see the runs in the paint or imperfections in the body work. I will never trust someone else who says "I can make that look like new and do it cheap". Needless to say he didnt get any of my money and still may get a boot in the a$$! That is the reason for the repaint. I have a paint gun and air so I am going to paint it myself when the weather brakes. I am also looking for another seat pan...Cheap!..I cant seam to find one around here and when ever you say Wheelhorse you see the wheels turning and $$$$$ flying around.

Thats it for now....

The better half is doing well. She has lost most of her hair and is doing here second round of Chemo today. She shaved the rest off I am soon to follow to show my support. I dont think I will go bald but I will get a crew cut or something close. Surgery next tuesday to have a total Hysterectomy.

They say her type of cancer feeds on estrogen that is the reason for this next surgery. We are hopefull and her spirits remain high.

AMC RULES

Pat, you can have my old fender pan from my 520, you pay the shipping. I'll post a pict of it for you later if you're interested.

Toejam

I am interested and thankyou for the offer. I am afraid the shipping will cost far more than the item is worth. I will way my fender and if it is not to much I will contact you.

Toejam

Can someone please post a picture of the inside of the hood so I can see how the headlights install on my 310-8. :wh: I was poking around in the barn today and I can't remember how they went in. :thumbs:

Thanks

Pat