Sign in to follow this  
KyBlue

Tiller

KyBlue

After spending about two hours of pretty constant use, I have to say, That was well worth the money! Its Tons easier than ANY walk behind tiller, Worked great .. If those tines are in need of replacement..id hate to see what new ones do.

I managed to get a lil big of video. I dont have any asipiring camera operators, so it just got stuck on the tripod.. pay NO attention to the fat guy driving! :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Well Scott, yes, you will see a difference with new tines. When the video first starts you can see there are strips of earth not being tilled, the front should be smooth all the way across, save for where the gearbox goes. While these are getting torn off eventually, they are winding up as chunks. New tines will give you a smoother till.

One thing for sure, once you've used a Wheel Horse tiller, there is no going back to walk behind.

OH, was that a lady I saw mowing grass in the background? :whistle:

KyBlue

No that was one of the gvt supported neighbors ... section 8 housing and welfare check kinda deal. Makes me sick honestly.

Curmudgeon

I don't have much use for those who don't try, but with an employer who believes in paying 2 cents more than the maximum I can make and still qualify, I'm not that far removed from said rolls.

But that is about as :whistle: as I can get, isn't it?

rustbucket

can we get a link to the vid or where its hideing pwease.

KyBlue

Here ya go.. I posted it in the video Section, Well Actually Karl moved it for me, cause I stuck it somewhere else...in the wrong spot of course!

haha

hope ya'll check out my other vids and leave a comment or two.

mcwh1950

take you foot off of the clutck ....

linen beige

I don't have much use for those who don't try, but with an employer who believes in paying 2 cents more than the maximum I can make and still qualify, I'm not that far removed from said rolls.

But that is about as :whistle: as I can get, isn't it?

Not to stay :WRS: but you're earning those meager wages, so you're a LONG way from what those rolls consist of.

Scott, better do a lot of garden guardin' or them "neighbors" will pick ya clean.

KyBlue

Jim - they all know this is a house were guns live ... :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

I have not seen the tiller video. I am on dial up and it is a pain.

In your still photos it looked like you did not get the "rear guard"

with your tiller?

It is still available from Toro if you did not. I just bought mine

last year. Makes a HUGE difference in how the tiller lays down

the soil. Also prevents objects from being thrown.

KyBlue

I plan to order one, kinda suprised at the cost thou. I guess Im going to look for a new set of tines over the winter. It needs Seals so I'll be taking it apart in the next few weeks.

92Pony

Very Nice Scott!! :WRS: As Teddy said though, that rear guard makes a big difference in the finished look of the tilled area. I let the tiller sink low enough that the rear guard (flap) drags across the ground smoothing it out all nice and pretty-like. :whistle:

Heck, my peas and beans (etc) are only up about 6" and I'm already looking forward to when they're all done making so I can till everything under (read: Play with the tiller)!!!! :D

Edit - Ya know, now that I think about it..... I saw somewhere (here or MTF, or maybe elsewhere :D ) where someone had made their own rear guard out of a heavy, heavy strip of rubber - think tire-tread heavy. Unless something like that is available for purchase, I guess it was homemade. If you have access to something like that, you could likely fashion your own!

Wade

linen beige

Edit - Ya know, now that I think about it..... I saw somewhere (here or MTF, or maybe elsewhere :WRS: ) where someone had made their own rear guard out of a heavy, heavy strip of rubber - think tire-tread heavy. Unless something like that is available for purchase, I guess it was homemade. If you have access to something like that, you could likely fashion your own!

Wade

The rear guard on mine is just a peice of 3/4 inch plywood a PO mounted with door hinges. :whistle: At least they painted it red. <_<

Duff

Just thinking out loud here- how about a piece of fire hose (the large stuff, split lengthwise) with a piece of angle iron attached to the side that drags in the dirt? Or maybe a piece of a retired conveyor belt if there's a farmer nearby who may have junked out a conveyor? :WRS:

Deereman :whistle:

KyBlue

Ive got a couple old Mudflaps, I thought about using one of those, but ... since im going to totally dismantle and rebuild the the tiller, with new seals, and media blast it all, Ill probably pickup the correct peice for it.

I will be lookin around for some other tines thou, since toro is sooo proud of the ones for these.

Thanks for the comments ya'll!

Duff

I picked up a new set of tines from a Ford that are identical to the Wheel Horse tines for less than half of what only ONE SIDE of the Wheel Horse tines cost. Pull the old ones off, and the new ones go right on with no problems.

If Kevin (kpinnc) signs back onto this thread, I'll bet he can tell you the part number or description for the Ford tines he got - sounds like he got a great deal on 'em. His post I've quoted appears several above in this thread.

KyBlue

Yeah. His post is the reason why I'll be looking at other mfg's tines. It would be great if he could post up a source or part number thou.

Teddy da Bear

Yeah Toro is definately "monetarily" proud of their products.

Toro guy tried to soak me for $40+ for the belt alone!

I went to NAPA and got it for $22

kpinnc

If Kevin (kpinnc) signs back onto this thread, I'll bet he can tell you the part number or description for the Ford tines he got

Sorry fellas, I don't have the numbers. I didn't buy the Ford tines from a dealer.

Kevin

Duff

Hi, Scott,

If you're still checking this thread, there's a good looking set of tines on eBay right now (Item number: 130231204582) that look like they'd fit your machine if you're still in the market?

Cheers!