Sign in to follow this  
stumpkicker

D-160 with front loader Hydraulic Help???

stumpkicker

D-160 WITH THE ARK - 550 LOADER!

I HAVE THE MANUAL BUT Nothing about this Problem!

Last year I broke the Hydraulic hose on the front of the front loader. By the time I noticed the fluid was pumped out.

QUESTION: Would this damage the belt driven pump?

Question #2: How can you refill and bleed the Hydraulic cylinders?

Question #3: I was told an AIR-Lock can occur! How to fix that??

Question #4: Last question>: how do you bleed and is it necessary to bleed the lines and Hydraulic cylinders (as there are NO-Bleed Valves.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Seems everything happens at the start of SPRING!

6wheeler

Well I am not sure on that particular unit. But on my other hydraulic stuff, If you didn't get it real hot it shouldn't be hurt. As far as the cylinders go, they should be self bleeding. But if not, all you can do is crack the lines loose and operate them til fluid comes out and re-tighten. I would fill it up with fluid and try operating it in all directions it may self bleed. If not, follow previous directions.. Good Luck

jtmoyer

if you didn't run your pump to long i would think it should be ok. with not fluid it won't lift so you prob did not run it to long.

fit the leak, fill up the tank and work the cylinders a few times and all the air will be out of the lines.

i had a line break on me. dad hit the trailer with the pump knocking the belt off and bending up the bracket. after driving 30 min to go fix it. the line breaks, drive another 30 min back to the store to get parts. drive 30 more min back to the tractor to find that the parts don't work :thumbs: by this time the trailer was emptied by hand so i could drag tractor back on and drive 30 min home.

kyhorse

Say, JT, you don't happen to know where to get replacement cylinders for the loader? It is beginning to look to me like the D-160 always has the Ark 550? By that I mean, if it's an Ark it's a 550 and not a 500? Even after new seals my left cylinder oil pours, not drips, out! There are plenty of companies here that can fix/fabricate anything, but I was hoping for an off-the-shelf cylinder. Thanks.

jtmoyer

the 500's were smaller and used on the c's

i think your cylinder is bent just a little.

i'm not sure what the cylinders were rated at but you should be ok finding one the same size in diameter and with the same throw. or you could just buy mine since im selling it. :hide:

kyhorse

I have a better idea! We swap, with boot of course, and then you restore mine! :hide: This would help you grow as a person and I could quit being a WH mechanic and start using it for something besides a project! Then perhaps you could move on to fix my old outboard, motorcycle, Suburban, etc. My garage looks like a time machine set on 1974-84!

On a tip from a member I found a cylinder I think I could use at Tractor Supply. Do you happen to know the stroke? I measured the cylinder and it's 23" but I didn't measure the stroke. The closest fit at TS has a 16" stroke. That has got to be pretty close to what I need but I would like to order today and pick up next weekend on my way to my place. Otherwise I lose about 2 weeks because that's how often I go there. Thanks.

jtmoyer

if you think the stroke is going to be different replace both sides, that way you won't have to stress one of the cylinders and bend another one. :hide:

just bring over the suburban i'm no good on the boat, i never got mine quite right.

kyhorse

Actually, the suburban is the best of the bunch but it needs an oil change. I drive it maybe 100 miles a year and I bet it's been 3 years since the last change.

I am going to take a look at some pictures of the 550 on here and do some math to estimate the stroke based on the travel of the bucket and the leverage ratio. I prefer not to get the bucket too high anyway so if it's a little shorter I can live with that. It would be easier if somebody would measure it for me, :hide: though!

jtmoyer

it would be a few days for me. i might get to have a few moments on tues after noon or wed night. :hide:

kyhorse

Not to worry. I will be out of state anyway until Thursday night. If you get time, it would help, but if not, no problem. I'll figure it out soon enough. :hide: