Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorse656

a guid to body repair

wheelhorse656

well the fall before last i did a restoration job on my tractor and i still have a few dents at the time i was not a perfectionist and just wated to get it done. i now see every mistake and cut corner i did especialy on the hood and fenders. well long story short my grandpa use to work for the state in the body shop and fixed everything from a paint job to body work even layin Odot's decals on the side of trucks snow plows and other equiptment. this post will be to show how to the proper body work is done and the do's and donts. I hope this post will benifit all of the members here who thought about usein fillers but are a little leary of the idea or possbly you dont know how to do your dend work with hammer and dolly. we will be showing how to do all this pictures and tool lists will be to follow and possibly a few videos of the process. i will be starting today and pictures will be here as well. Hope this thread will benifit all the members here on Red Square. :thumbs:.

cpete1

Looking forward to the infomation. You guys are a great resource. Everything helps.

:thumbs:

Chris

mavfreak

I to am looking forrard to this. I really needed a refresher on the the hammer/dolly, also the pick. Been years since I played that tune, :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

Ok the first thing is the tools you will need. Here is a list and some pictures.

Safety first dusts mask and eye goggles.

196634_201512349878058_100000578847230_678125_7644568_n.jpg

The next thing is body filler and hardener cream of your choice I like to use bondo fiberglass resin jelly. You don

Save Old Iron

looking good 656,

looking good.

thanks for spending the time to show us your techniques.

wheelhorse656

Ok I am back again :thumbs:

After you do your sanding and sand out 3 to 4 inches past the area you are working on you then take paint thinner or carb cleaner or starting fluid. Something that will wipe all the dust up and clean any oil or residue that

stevebo

Looks good. I am not a bodyman by any means however I would try not to over apply the bondo. Sanding it down makes lots of dust...

Brrly1

Hey Stevebo, I by no means am a body man. I can't even think of a time where I have even tried it. I am guessing that this is where the dusk mask comes in. Just a guess. Thanks for the tips. :thumbs::thumbs:

:thumbs:

stoneman

Looks good. I am not a bodyman by any means however I would try not to over apply the bondo. Sanding it down makes lots of dust...

indubitably! :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

I does make a lot of dust that is very true but it depends on the depth of the dent you are filling it is a lot thicker on the one side than the other because the one side had a larger dent that was most of that corner. As the other side had a small ding that 99% of was knocked out. So it needed to be thicker on the one side and not very thick on the other. and yes that is the reason you need the mask as well the dust is harmful to inhale I know a guy who worked in a body shop for years and is now on oxygen because the chemicals and dust he inhaled from painting and sanding eroded his lungs. He is not doing much these days because of that. :thumbs:

So please if you do this wear the mask and goggles and be safe especially if your son or grandson is helping you set a good example for them and save your lungs while you

wheelhorse656

Hey liked the thread you posted to this No compactions or stealing at all the point of this thread was to help give members a starting point or refresher on how to do this. The link added just made this thread better! :thumbs: :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

Ok so after you finish letting the filler dry you want to sand it. I find using the DA sander until it gets completely smooth is the best then switch to the mouse sander is the best. Make sure you keep it nice and flat on the metal not using the front or sides of the sander to get done faster this will cause lows and highs in the job and basically defeating the purpose of doing this. Once it is done sanded switch to a fine paper like 400 to 500 on a sanding block and sand until the filler blends into the metal and there are no ridges and it is perfectly smooth and blended you should look like this when you