Sign in to follow this  
farmer

Bone to pick

farmer

Dear R S

I used to be "normal" Wheel Horse owner/operator,..... it has been written that once the :thumbs: bug has bitten, you become a basket case......there's no way back.

Well I think this is very unfair, its not all :thumbs: s fault. At least a part of the blame lies with you lot.....the members of R S. :thumbs:

Reading about project tractors and restorations just fuel the fire. So for a while I have been hunting, and about 3 weeks ago I took a punt on one, a real stab in the dark. Today, after a fair journey I picked it up, money changed hands, shook the vendors hand and drove all the way home with huge smile on my face. It was to dark for pictures when I got back, so I will post some tomorrow with a few questions and more details of my very own project tractor.

Thanks RedSquare.

AMC RULES

Humm, sounds interesting. Think we'll get a new "wheel horse sunrise" video out of the deal? One of my favorites, that was a good one. :thumbs:

Sparky

Thanks for the tease Rex :thumbs: .

Lookin forward to some pics!

Mike..........

stevasaurus

It helps your case if you cannot read...but that is why we want pictures. :thumbs: Just try to stop the madness. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

cpete1

:thumbs: I've been to 17 doctors in the last 3 months,(about when I joined this forum). There is no hope. Once you're infected, its all over. :thumbs:

Good Luck with your new disease..um I mean tractor.

Chris

TT

Hey Rex..........

Here's one way you can tell that it's a terminal illness :thumbs: :

tattoo-2.jpg

littleredrider

The first horse I picked up wasn't even a year ago, now I have 5....

VinsRJ

The first horse I picked up wasn't even a year ago, now I have 5....

A very common situation...... I bought one and then started to buy up every one I could find.

Pollack Pete

I've had the illness almost a year now.Bought my first one last April.I picked up number 49 about 3 weeks ago.Terminal illness with no known cure.You have to keep feeding the sickness.

JC 1965

I purchased my first tractor new in 1979. It still runs like new but has been well cared for. I now have 3 and would have more but I don't have room for them and to be honest, it's about all I can do to keep up the maintenance on those 3. Hate to admit it but I ain't getting any younger!! :thumbs:

Don1977

I bought mine new in 1977 (C-120 8 speed). It's been through 2 engines. Installed a new 18 Vanguard last spring. That is the only Wheel Horse I have it's still going strong

and getting the job done. I have a 1959 JD 2 cylinder farm tractor that was my dad's for the heavy duty work. I am also building a tractor from parts the I have acquired over the years. I was into fast cars when I was younger. Then I move to 4 wheel drive trucks, now I'm in to tractors after I retired.

farmer

Craig

Thanks for the compliment on the sunrise video if we did one on this tractor it would definitely be "wheel horse sunset" I thought your snow cat video and post about West Point was pretty darn good too.

So... Here's some details on my project tractor, it is a Commando 8 late 60's I think?

Model # 14831

Serial # 403928 or 1141

Engine # 14223766

In original condition except for the repair patches made to the deck, tyres are cracked but all hold air. According to the vendor, I'm the second real owner. He took the tractor as part of a garage clear out for an old lady who's husband had unfortunately died. It was his from new and had not run for the last 6-7 years. This was just after Christmas, the seller could only get it to run if the fuel tank was held high. So he thought... fuel pump. He didn't want it or to spend on it so one of his mates said he would give him

Duff

Man, that rig has real potential! Very nice buy!

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

Well done on your new aquisition Rex !. Yep , you've got the Habit alright.

It's a '68' direct U.S Import. And you got Rear Wheel Weights :thumbs: .

I like the 60's style Decals. Enjoy !!

Regards

AMC RULES

Looks like an awesome :thumbs: find there Rex, really like the wheel weights on it, never seen that version before. :thumbs: How long do you think you'll be able to resist doing a full restoration? Sure would be a sight to see all done up like new again. Make it happen buddy, and please chronicle your progress here for the rest of us too. :thumbs:

can whlvr

:thumbs: tractor and with the weights :thumbs:

jb4249

That is too cool. I have an old British car that I run around in in the summer, 1973 Triumph Spitfire. It shares space with my WH 854 that is ready to put back together. Good luck with it.

Ted

farmer

Thanks for encouragement fellas,

I'm in no hurry to restore it, like most of you I have family and work to think of first. But when time allows it should prove fun, so dont hold your breath for updates....Maybe quarterly? :thumbs: Time comes I'll start a new thread in the "restoration section".

When I included the Commando in my signature I noticed I have 3 decades covered...so when Ive finished it, I'll have to think about something from the '70s :drool:

Started by soaking the hitch pin and the wheel weight bolts (going to stick them on the 518 for the garden).

oh..and Ted, it's strange....you have a vintage British car for the summer, well I have a 1942 Ford Willy's Jeep in sand colours made in the USA , my kids love it. Except for the bugs in their faces. :thumbs:

:thumbs: :thumbs: