Sign in to follow this  
kodiak

k 301

kodiak

i have a 1277 with k-301 on it i can get it to idle but cough and gags when i rev the engine. i have adjusted the carb and makes no differance. what else could it be

Kelly

Might need a rebuild on the carb, check the points, clean and gap them, and then a new condenser might be needed.

tommy3horse

Hello Kodiak;

Might be the carb. Rebuild kits are cheap and simple to install. When you rebuild the carb, make sure to use compressed air to clean all the passages and pay particular attention to the needle valve , it has small holes in it and must be absolutely clean.

Good luck,

Tom

:thumbs:

B-8074

Have you looked in the fuel bowl? Might need cleaned as well.

kodiak

sry forgot to mention i have cleaned the carb and removed the fuel filter the p/o had on it cause i noticed it wasnt fillig all the way. when i removed the filter it seemed to help some but still not all the way. i can start it and it wil idle fine but as soon as i rev the engine it starts to cut out and sputter and also backfire

Fiscalyear

Hello Nick. :thumbs:

You may want to re-read Kellys reply. It sounds like ignition problems to me. Especially a condenser.

Hope you have found your problem by the time I post this. Good Luck.

:thumbs: Eddie

kodiak

was curious if it could be a coil issue as well. i noticed when i romoved the plug wire there was liquid in the hole of the coil

smoreau

was curious if it could be a coil issue as well. i noticed when i romoved the plug wire there was liquid in the hole of the coil

Yes it could be the coil. if it is weak it would run fine at idle and when there is a load on it there isn't enough out put to keep it running, that is a posibility. also like Kelly said a bad condensor would do the same. so I would recomend changing the coil (leaking oil out the top) and the condensor. Good luck and hope this helps :thumbs: :thumbs:

kodiak

ok replaced the coil and condensor. still doing the same thing. can get to idle only with choke closed and when i rev it up it will run ok for a few seconds then it seems to be starving for fuel. but the pump seems to be pumping fine. im at a lose here and its driving me nuts. i wnat to use this tractor for a work tractor but cant seem to get it running right.

rmaynard

...forgot to mention i have cleaned the carb and removed the fuel filter...

When you say that you cleaned the carburetor, how did you do it? Did you take it completely off, remove the needle valves and seat, clean and test the float valve? The main jet needle valve is a cantankerous little devil. It has 6 little holes that must be clean, and the whole inside of the needle is hollow. It too must be completely clean. How is the throttle shaft? Is it loose? How about the carb to engine gasket? Did you replace it? Any air being pulled into the engine through the gasket, or throttle shaft will cause the problems you are experiencing.

kodiak

yes i took it complety apart and cleaned it i am going to pull one off a running engine and see if it helps

JC 1965

Did you take the fuel line off at the carb and crank the engine to see if you are getting a good supply of fuel? :thumbs: Just trying to think of everything. :thumbs:

Fiscalyear

Keeping an eye on this thread, curious of the problem. :drool:

Having only one Horse :drool: and little problems with it, I don't know much about other Horses engines. But I've owned a few riding lawn mowers with various engines. That being said..........and not comparing apples and oranges, I hope.

Does this engine in question have a fuel shutoff relay somewhere in the fuel delivery line? An older MTD tractor engine I owned caused me a few hours of searching because of a defective electrically operated shutoff relay. Just thinking. :thumbs:

Come on guys - find this problem!!! It's driving me crazy. :thumbs: ..eerr crazierererer :thumbs::drool:

iicap

kodiak, after reading this thread over again-again, couple questions. Is this tractor new to you or one you've had, that ran great and has developed this problem?

I am thinking fuel prob also. Not familiar with 1277 and if underseat or underhood fuel tank. I think there is an obstruction. This response a bit long, but you need to check the whole system.

Start at tank, lower fuel level if you have to and look with strong flash light for any debris in tank. Is there a screen at the fitting on tank bottom, remove and clean to be sure of free flow, you should have a piece of test hose on hand for this and other checks to do farther along. With test hose in a safe container put some fuel back in tank and check for good flow.

It is not uncommon for older fuel hose to have its inner walls deteriorate. The pieces will move along to gather at a point where they can't pass thru and begin restricting the flow, allowing enough for low or mid speed operation but starving at wide open. Altho you replaced the fuel filter(inline I assume) this tractor prob had none from factory. Most common places this debris acumulates is at the fuel pump inlet valve and the carb inlet needle seat, remove the inlet elbows from the FP and carb, look for small pieces of hose. I have had this happen on Kohler engines before. I would also take the FP a part and look to see if something is caught under the inlet valve seat not alowing it to close.

Idealy an engine vacumn/fuel pump pressure tester should be used and it can remove all doubt as to the fuel pump's condition. They are available at autoparts stores and really inexpensive. Two tests, 1st is pressure, test hose hooked to the OUTLET PORT of FP, crank engine until max pressure is observed, stop cranking and the pressure should hold steady on the gauge. If the pressure drops, the inlet valve is not holding, because of debris, a weak spring, or damaged valve seat. 2nd test is for vacumn, test hose to INLET PORT of FP, crank engine until max vacumn is observed, stop cranking and vacumn should hold on the gauge. If vacumn falls, it is for the same reasons stated in the pressure test.

Debris at the Carb inlet needle will be found inside the hose inlet elbow or fitting. If the debris is small enough it may lodge in the needle seat and cause flooding/running rich. If the debris is larger than the seat inlet port it will be an obstruction and possibly trap other pieces and restrict flow and cause starvation.

Sorry so long winded, but for some who are reading this may be new to them and be a help in the future.

WheelHorse_of_course

I am on the way out the door, so I only skimmed this.

Have you replaced the spark plug with a new, properly gapped plug?

You may wan't to look for spark leakage in the dark (look for little blue sparks around the spark plug cable all the way from one end to the other).

I am just trying to help with suggestions you have not tried already. It does sound like a carb or fuel pump problem.

BTW - it is very rare for fuel filters to fill up. Just the nature of the beast - weird and confusing I know. You need to put one back.

kodiak

:thumbs: :thumbs::thumbs:

thank you to all who have helped me with this problem. i know relieze just cause a fuel pump pumps doesnt meen it works right. i replaced the fuel pump from an engine i knew ran and low and behold the 1277 is alive. thank you again for all your help

iicap

Glad your up an runnin again. If you get a chance, see if you can find what happened to O fuel pump, you may be able to get it working normally again.

Fiscalyear

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Now - so I can party along, as Richard said............

QUOTE : Glad your up an runnin again. If you get a chance, see if you can find what happened to O fuel pump, you may be able to get it working normally again

kodiak

the best reason for all the hard work

1002.jpg

114.jpg

yet again thank you for all the help

now i need to get my other two going

Fiscalyear

Do I detect a sign of approval? :thumbs:

One last question: How will you get one of your other tractors going? Sounds like one it may be missing a fuel pump. :thumbs:

Now you may have to disassemble and repair the old pump. Good Luck.

kodiak

thats why i said i have to get it going i robbed parts off one to fix another

but its all worth it

iicap

I like the smile and grin on your assistant's face, now that's REALLY worth something :thumbs:

JC 1965

Hi Kodiak, If you find some spare time , you might want to take that old fuel pump apart and check it out to see if you can find the problem. They don't make the rebuild kits anymore but you might not need one. It could be something pretty simple, like dirt or something in there. If the diaphragm and check valves look good and are working, try stretching the spring ( make it longer ) under the diaphragm. This will increase the pump pressure. Hope this helps!! :thumbs:

kodiak

once it warms a bit more and i have time i will look into what was wrong with that pump. another question i have for you all is it seems to be running fine with no load but when i engage the pto and the drive the engine bogs down quite a bit what do i need to look into for that problem

b-80boz

you may also have a hole in your float take it out and shake it and see if its getting fuel in it Ive had it be the problem before after changing fuel pump. :thumbs: :thumbs: