Sign in to follow this  
rob65

my 312-8

rob65

Here are a couple shots of where I am now. The set screw that retains the shifter was snapped off & painted over, The fill plug was stripped & painted over. I cant get either one out, still soaking in PB . After flushing twice with the K-1, The gearbox started leaking like crazy. I opened up the gearbox, thinking I would be able to... I thought my brother would be able to take the casing to work and drill them both out & re-tap the holes, if they needed it. I now know you cant do that. I'm going to bolt it back together & have him do it. One hub came off eventually. The other axel came out when I tried getting off the other. The whole gearbox needs to be re-built. Check out the picture, There is no gasket only permatex or something.

I'm not going to be able to work on it again for a few weeks. I'm losing the use of my left hand for a while, unfortunately.

Any ideas on how to get that screw out?

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

dgoyette

Rob,

I have had luck with screw extractors.

You are going to know that horse inside out by the time you are done.

:thumbs:

dgjks6

It is possible to separate the halves without removing the shift lever, but I would not recommend it. I did it, had the same problem with the broken screw and had gear go everywhere. First I would out the trans on its side, small half down - then, as stated before - get a screw extractor.

Aussie

Rob

My shifter lock screw was broken off exactly the same as yours. I drilled a 1/8 hole and a screw extractor brought it straight out. It wasn't siezed at all and yours looks fairly clean. I think they must break due to people getting too enthusiastic when tightening the locknut.

If you are referring to the filler plug at the back lower left side, if it is in tight and not leaking there isn't really any need to remove it as the best way to fill the trans is through the dipstick tube.

In case you haven't got the rollpin out of your steering wheel yet, I had the same problem and after beating it and soaking for a few weeks I ended up removing the column with the top section of the hoodstand still attached and supporting it over the vice. A couple of good hits against a solid backing and it came right out. The problem with hammering on it in the tractor is that it flexes enough to take the energy out of the blows. I also read somewhere a suggestion that an air chisel with a suitable punch bit works well, I'm going to try that on my next one.

Hope your hand is on the mend.

rob65

For some reason I wasn't able to get a hole started with my hand drills. My brother is coming over this afternoon, going to try and pawn it off on him :thumbs: He milled out the roll pin in the steering column last night. I don't think he's going to be too thrilled about taking the entire trans. to work tonight.