Anglo Traction

74 C-120/Raider update

Anglo Traction

Hello Fellow W Horsers, Bumped This old thread because I wanted to sort some narrow Front Rims with Tri Ribs. After almost 3 years, I still have not found a matched pair.

Way back at the start of this Thread, I mentioned this Tractor came with odd sized front rims. I had to fit a pair of post 1975 - 6.50 wide rims on, then search for one to match the narrow one.

The only luck I had was when I visited Michael (Fordsonmajortom) back in 2011- ish, he kindly parted with a narrow rim of some kind, but it must have come from a (UK) Westwood Tractor or similar (painted Red). It has several differences, so I've got to disguise as many as possible by morphing it to match and make it fit the Spindle length with the same offset. 

So, with a bit of a clean up and getting most of the rust and paint off the non WH one (on left in pic)-

post-3520-0-20825100-1378148383_thumb.jp

I made a start. I found I would have to chop 1/4" (6.4mm) off the outside end of the Hub/Bearing Tube and Add 1/2" (12.6mm) to the Inside end to give me the same offset as the other rim.

Chopping the outside end off accurately was easy with the right gear-

post-3520-0-02435900-1378148687_thumb.jp 

Sorting the extension on the inside requires the purchase of some 1 1/12" (38.1mm) steel tube with a thick wall of 1/8" (3mm-ish). It's ordered , so 'Playtime' will continue when it arrives.

Regards.     

bowtiebutler956

I'm sure it will turn out fantastic Richard, as it seems all your work does! :bow-blue:  I'm glad you gave this thread a bump. Your work is definitely second to none, and this is a beautiful :wh: !! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Hi Matt , Thanks and hope all is well in South West Texas.

Had to back off from this for a while, but have made and welded the extension to the Inner Bearing Tube now, so just a pic showing partial clean up of the weld joint- 

post-3520-0-82276700-1379889744_thumb.jp

This odd wheel also had larger Holes that carry the Weight Bolts, so I made up  2 thick tapered washers with same size holes as the proper WH wheel and pressed them in and a few weld tacks. Just about as closer match as I'll ever get with these now they have a Top Coat of paint on them- 

post-3520-0-09665000-1379889766_thumb.jp

Ordered more Tubes (hopefully correct fit this time) and should arrive mid week, then it's Put 'em on time 

bowtiebutler956

Those wheels turned out fantastic Richard! Very Nice! :thumbs:

Stigian

As ever stunning work Richard, those wheels look great :handgestures-thumbup:

meadowfield

awesome!

Anglo Traction

Thanks as always Gents.

Finally got some Inner Tubes that (I think) do the job properly. I kept getting these silly little wheelbarrow type tubes that would struggle to inflate to the correct size without tearing the valve out and they were quoted as 4.80 x 4.00 x 8.  :banghead:   

In the end, I went for 5.00 x 8's and they fit perfectly without strain or puckering.........So the old C-120 Is now the proud wearer of Tri Ribs and it look's just that little bit  more correct so to speak.

post-3520-0-70533000-1380204670_thumb.jp

post-3520-0-09980500-1380204698_thumb.jp

It is also an absolute pleasure to steer now, tracks perfect with hardly any wander and can be steered with one finger on flat ground. I'm happy! :icecream: . 

• Like 3

meadowfield

Richard, it looks fantastic -top notch :D

Gonna have to get some tri ribs on my narrow rims.

Edited by meadowfield

neil

speechless

Stormin

That's one very nice tractor, Richard. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Absolutely Breathtaking!!!! :jaw:  :jaw:  I now that :wh: never looked that good from the factory! Very nice work Richard! :thumbs:

neil

The fly wheel screen on the engine looks amazing . your attention to detail Richard is just something else

• Like 1