Sign in to follow this  
D3R3K

bad starter

D3R3K

went to start the c-160 today and starter bad, spins but won't engage.

does anyone know any good websites to buy a starter at? or a cheaper fix, like if theres a drive engage kit or something?? :banghead:

Kelly

Take the starter off, clean the bendix, and lube with a dry lube not grease, in a pinch a lite coat of WD-40, it's probably just a sticky drive gear.

wheelhorse656

im with kelly on this one i have had that happen a couple of times a little bit of dirt cuases it to get cought and same with grease its to thick and it wont work right. just get a can of good quality silicone spray. and clean the housing out and oil the back bearing. thats what i would try first its alot cheaper. :banghead:

D3R3K

alright ill give it a shot, let you know how it goes, and you said sillicone spray would work good? i can get my hands on wurth products

D3R3K

ok, so im a big dummy, i had bought a new battery when i posted this and didn't pay attention to the battery, it had the post oppsite. so the starter wasnt working cause it was spinning backwards.

the tractor will not run but now will start, and will only fire once. i have spark and fuel.

could i have messed up the rectifier or something from having the battery hooked up backwards??