Sign in to follow this  
stevasaurus

starter bench test

stevasaurus

Does anyone here know the correct way to bench test a starter?? I have to admit, that I do not, and I do not want to guess. :banghead:

wheelly

Just hook your charger or battery possitive to the possitive post on starter. Then touch the negative to the starter housing. It should kick over. If the charger is a small one it my not have enough amps to turn it over.

rmaynard

Clamp it in a vise first. Those motors have a bit of kick.

puddlejumper

Steve I know your a do it myself kind of guy. But autoparts store should check it for free, That way you will know if its drawing to many amps or dragging excessive.

wheelhorse656

hook your charger up. then put the positive on the post clamp the the negitve on what ever you can that does not move then hold it down on a desk or clamp it in a vise than turn on charger if id does not kick then its bad! hope this helps! :banghead:

Kelly

Even if it turns using this method, does not mean it is good, chances are good that it is, but with a load like turning a engine with compression might show bad brushes, or other issues.

flyovrcntry

Just hook a battery to it if it kicks pretty good its prob good.Its not that technical,it either works or it don't.

stevasaurus

Thanks guys...kind of thought that was the way it worked. Think I will try Cliff's idea first and take it to an auto parts store...then do the vise and battery thingy. :banghead: