Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

C111 starter issue

harleyjj

I went out to fire up the C111 last night just to make sure she'd start up in cold weather ok. I have had it plugged in to a battery tender and the light was green meaning the battery was fully charged.

When I turned the key to start I heard a click and then nothing. My initial thought was I had heard the solenoid click, upon further investigation what I discovered was the click I heard was the starter engaging the flywheel.

After repeated attempts and hooking the battery up to a charger and warming up the starter with a hair dryer it finally cranked and fired up fine.

I have encountered this problem twice before but never had it take this long to get it to crank. I am thinking that there is a bad spot on the starter motors comutator and when it stops spinning on that spot the next time I hit the key it won't crank. Am i thinking correctly that this is a starter issue?

If it is the starter does anyone have a good starter for a briggs 11 hp?

harleyjj

Did I ask a stupid question?

Kelly

I think you may be right on the weak starter, but first did you check all the wiring connections? make sure they are clean and tight, if you still think you need a starter I think I have one, send me a PM.

Save Old Iron

ditto on the wiring check

be sure - really sure - you have a good battery in the tractor. There are load testers out there for less than $20 that can save you a bundle of time and troubleshooting expenses. There are many examples here of folks spending days and many dollars replacing parts only to find out ITS THE BATTERY. Just because is takes a charge to 12.6 volts does not mean you have the capacity to crank. You could wire 9 AAA batteries in series to get 12.6 volts but that will not crank the cold engine. YOU NEED CAPACITY IN THE BATTERY , NOT JUST VOLTAGE. A good battery should be able to overheat the starter if cranked for too long.

Now that the weather is colder, batteries that would crank an engine just enough to get them started are now in a weakened state.

To determine if it is the battery or starter using your "hair dryer method",

heat the battery first to room temp and then try to start the tractor with a "cold" starter.

Then heat the starter if the warmed battery fails to start the tractor.

Don1977

Sounds like a weak battery to me. Check it with a Capacity Tester like SOI said. I would call it a Load tester a voltage tester doesn't tell you much about how good a battery is. When you load a bad battery the voltage drop like a rock. Bad battery cables

and connections can cause the same trouble. I had a car with a bad corroded cable in it

and you could not start it by rolling it down a large hill. The cable didn't look bad, all the corrosion was inside the insulation.

Save Old Iron

I would call it a Load tester

good eyes Don, correction made.

Thanks.

WH nut

Good call on the connections, I would take the cables off the starter and the solinoind and clean then, Cold weather causes lots of connection trouble due to the moisture and the contraction of the metals. Clean and tighten may just fix you up. If that doeant work it wouldnt hurt to pull the stater down and clean it up. You may just have some brushes that are glazed up

harleyjj

I will clean and tighten all connections this weekend. Thank you for all the advice!

A previous owner bypassed alot of the safety switches on the tractor and there is a small pushbutton type switch that is now installed in a hole drilled through the panel where the shift levers come out. The issues I am having seem to be related to this switch, If i mess with it i can get it to start.

Can I run a wire directly from the start position on the key switch to the solenoid?

Save Old Iron

The issues I am having seem to be related to this switch, If i mess with it i can get it to start.

Can I run a wire directly from the start position on the key switch to the solenoid?

Anyone who knows me knows I emphasize safety anytime I can.

I would find it difficult to advise a "double" bypass

bypassing the safety switch bypass !! arrrrrggggh

BUT FOR THE PURPOSES OF TROUBLESHOOTING ONLY,

Yes, a temporary wire connected from the "S" terminal to the "small" starter solenoid terminal will allow you to start and move your tractor to a better place to fully repair the safety switch system.

I leave you with this motivational pic.

bombsafety.jpg