Sign in to follow this  
C-85

Plow skids or shoes

C-85

My 42" plow blade looks like it has a place to mount plow shoes on both sides of it, but I haven't seen any listed in the parts manual.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get these or is everyone just making there own if they don't want the plow to dig in while plowing? :ychain:

C85

IthacaJeff

What surface are you plowing on? I have no skids, but don't want them.

I plow on hard packed gravel, and with a few freeze-thaw-freeze cycles the

driveway becomes hard as a rock that is barely scratched by the blade.

On the warmer days some of the gravel may loosen and it can tend to be

pushed around a bit. On these days I just make sure I pile the snow on the

edge of the driveway and not the grass, so that come springtime the

gravel stays out of the grass.

Jeff in Enfield NY

wh79d160

I lost one last winter on my D. :ychain: I have a 42" also for my 702 & it looks like it has a place for some . So I'll probably be making some. Some one made some a few years back welding round bar to some 3" black pipe caps.

Kelly

Well only the old 42" blades and I mean old like early 60's had shoes, the had a cup with a rod welded in the middle that fit in a piece of tubing welded to the blade with a set screw to hold the shoe in place, the newer 48" blades have two sets of key slots on both sides that except the shoes.

Dresden Guy

Well only the old 42" blades and I mean old like early 60's had shoes, the had a cup with a rod welded in the middle that fit in a piece of tubing welded to the blade with a set screw to hold the shoe in place, the newer 48" blades have two sets of key slots on both sides that except the shoes.

Kelly,

Are the "shoes" still available or does anyone "fab" them in a shop somewhere? I have some limestone that sometimes I think the shoes would work bettero on. Also, my 42" blade does not have the keyhole, of course this should be fairly easy to do.... if I had the shoes. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

C-85

Thanks to all that replied!

My driveway is a mix of gravel and dirt and it is soft in spots. I was thinking that shoes would help keep the plow from digging in so much and would also save the cutting edge.

I used to be in the W/H business 20ish years ago and it seems like I remember seeing them on plows, so I was pretty sure they made them at one time. Even if they did I doubt they (Toro) does now. I didn't know if any members would have known any more about this, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks again,

C-85

:ychain:

wheel horse man

Why dont you set your plow height like you do your mower deck with height screw

TT

Why dont you set your plow height like you do your mower deck with height screw

Because they can't follow the contour of the ground - and that doesn't work with hydraulic lift tractors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaning the top of the blade forward (move the top trip spring pin to the very bottom holes) will lessen the aggressiveness of the cutting edge and will allow the blade to skim over the surface without digging in as bad.

I seem to have more issues with the sharp corners of the cutting edge catching than anything else, and I know skids will not solve that problem.

tophatbufflo

Someone installed a rubber belt instead of a scraper blade instead of a steel bar. I don't recall what the results were but I thought it sounded feasible

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Someone installed a rubber belt instead of a scraper blade instead of a steel bar. I don't recall what the results were but I thought it sounded feasible

I just made a rubber blade for my plow from a piece of an 18 wheeler mudflap. I too have a gravel driveway but I have yet to see how it works as I've not had enough snow to test it. After I made it, I saw that "Tractor Supply Center" sells rubber mats for horses by the foot for around 7 or 8 bucks a foot. You could buy a foot and make several rubber blades for your plow. I'll report how well it works or doesn't work as soon as I get the chance to use it.

I also bought some roller chain for my front tires so I can better steer my tractor this winter. I got the idea from Red Square. I tested the roller chains in the gravel driveway by doing figure 8's in high gear at full throttle and the chains never moved even a fraction of an inch.

I would like to caution other members who may want to try and test this idea to NOT test them with a mid mount grader blade attached. I got the tractor up on three wheels, then nearly no wheels as the grader blade dug in on one side and nearly flipped me over. :ychain:

MalMac

As of last year you could still get them from Toro. I don't have the part # right now. When I am able later today I will try and find it. I think I have the box they came in. They are a letter C looking shape that they ride on the back part of the C. Your blade needs to have the slots in the bottom of it to accept the carraige bolt.

I use a 48" blade on a gravel drive with large stones. The drive is only 3 yrs old and not pack down yet. I found the shoes help a lot. Now I also have another drive that is packed good. I have never had trouble with the blade on it when I did not have the shoes.

Duff

I don't have the part # right now. When I am able later today I will try and find it. I think I have the box they came in. They are a letter C looking shape that they ride on the back part of the C. Your blade needs to have the slots in the bottom of it to accept the carriage bolt.

I just got a new blade with the slots for the shoes. Any luck on that part number? :D

Duff :ychain:

MalMac

Part # is 92-6840

Tankman

I have a pair of the shoes/skids really bad condition.

Haven't used them in years, three WH 48" plows, gravel/millings driveways.

Talk about pricey!  :roll:

Look easy enough to fab a pair if needed.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=92-6840%2C+Skid+Kit&dn=3321-245-_2450001-0001